Josh Dobbs/ Justin Worley vs. Oklahoma

OU concerns me because they didn't seem to lose much. Other opponents had some key losses that make me feel more confident. I haven't kept up with who left for reasons other than graduation but most of their production last year came from guys with eligibility left- every... player with at least 10 rushes, QB that registered a pass attempt, or player who returned a punt or kick. They did lose more producers on D but return some good players and all of their production leaders.

Ya but they lost 3 all conference lineman and have a new offensive coordinator. I am hoping they will still be finding their starter at QB when they play us. New lineman against our dline is kind of hopeful.

P.S. - if you knew this and just meant skill-wise, nvm. I hate that they still have Sterling Shepard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Both teams have plenty of time and plenty of practices/games before the show in Neyland. Although this was written in the spring, it may help with what OU is going thru at the moment. As for the new OC, Lincoln Riley, we will just have to see. I'm only hopeful because he has the endorsements of, for lack of better descriptions, coaches who seem to have a better understanding of offensive schemes than what we have had recently. Since Mayfield has ran the "air raid" offense and been around it at Texas-Tech, he seems to me to be the front-runner, although they aren't naming one just yet.

Oklahoma position series: How young depth at defensive line will help change Sooners’ identity | | Dallas Morning News

Both teams have plenty of time and plenty of practices/games before the show in Neyland. Although this was written in the spring, it may help with what OU is going thru at the moment. As for the new OC, Lincoln Riley, we will just have to see. I'm only hopeful because he has the endorsements of, for lack of better descriptions, coaches who seem to have a better understanding of offensive schemes than what we have had recently. Since Mayfield has ran the "air raid" offense and been around it at Texas-Tech, he seems to me to be the front-runner, although they aren't naming one just yet.

Oklahoma position series: How young depth at defensive line will help change Sooners’ identity | | Dallas Morning News

I just hope he leans more to those endorsing coaches tendencies. Mike Leach never had two backs like Perrine and Mixon , but I don't see how he would've maximized those weapons.

I just hope he leans more to those endorsing coaches tendencies. Mike Leach never had two backs like Perrine and Mixon , but I don't see how he would've maximized those weapons.

Lol. True. We, as fans don't know how Riley is going to line up. It's all guesses for now. Our season will depend on three things IMHO. 1) QB play 2) O-Line Play and 3) WR play. If we can get 1 and 3 going and get just close even to 2 playing well (not great, but well enough) we can maybe win some we shouldn't. If 2 is playing greater than we thought but 1 and 3 aren't producing, we are in trouble, regardless if we have Mixon/Perine/Anderson in the backfield (or all three at once). Alex Ross is probably the one that, although mentioned in the article as a RB but more of a slot-back, can put up some production out of the backfield. Like I said, depends on 1 and 3 listed above playing well, even if 2 isn't that great.

In the first year, he had no one outside of Pig who could run a route or knew the playbook. Then, the WR's came along and the OL went to crap.

He could throw the ball and could have done very well without the battering he took.

Dobbs no doubt has all the tools to be a very, very good QB. I mentioned that. My major point is that you can scheme to stop a running QB just like you can scheme to stop a passer with a really, really bad OL.

Well...I agree SJT, but it's Dobbs now and sure hope he has improved in the passing game.

I'm a broken record with Worley...I am really tired of the bashing he's taking off the field now. Young man was a warrior and I doubt there are many, those who played the game nor those who didn't, who could have took the beating he did last year. Yet, he was 16th in FBS and 2nd in the SEC in 3rd and 4th down passing efficiency...wow..think about it...kid had the gumption to hang in there and put up "clutch" stats (per ESPN).

It aint gonna happen but I do wish the Worley crap would end now....we had another, less than mobile guy who did ok w/ the right tools at his disposal.

Agree with this and sprinkle in a better O line and stronger Defense/pass rush and this will be a great game....

Nobody said we dominated, especially me. I was only replying to the poster that said we have to blitz because of the 3-4 scheme and that Stoops has opted to return to a 4 man front. We may very well come back out in the 3-4 scheme, but I don't see that happening for TN and I am only saying that because until Dobbs proves that his accuracy has improved (as other Vols have pointed out), I would put odds on that TN will see a 4-3 with run blitz packages. If I were Coach Jones, I would blitz the hell out of the OU QB until he proves he can hurt me by A) passing the ball or B) can out-run, out-maneuver my rush. Not trying to be an ass here, hell I like the Vols. Classy program. Just adding insight to what very well may be a game that sets the tone for BOTH teams.
Didn't disagree. I can talk because we are undefeated now and why not. You're an oklahoman on our board so a shot here or there won't hurt.

Didn't disagree. I can talk because we are undefeated now and why not. You're an oklahoman on our board so a shot here or there won't hurt.

Yeah, you got me on that one. Undefeated right now, are ya? You'v been undefeated at this time of year for the past what....17. How's that worked out for ya? (I love it when you let me take shots)

Takes a lack of "nads" to support your coaches until they've had the opportunity to definitively show they're lacking?
No. I guess you're right. It is the greatest mark of courage and reason to wait until AFTER a guy leaves to blame him or criticize him.

Waiting out Jancek kept us from fathering kids? No...it's a different approach and one you self-reported as your modus operandi with Dooley ...consider adoption? :hmm:

I have criticized and praised Jones and several other members of his staff. When it is good, it is good... bad it is bad. To some apparently, it only becomes bad after a coach leaves.

Not even sure what you meant with the Dooley comment. I've acknowledged several times that I took the wrong approach with Dooley and with Fulmer before him. Like many here now, I thought there should be no criticism until There is nothing wrong with respectful criticism of current coach until "they've had the opportunity to definitively show they're lacking."

I was wrong then... just like you are now.

Sort of like blaming someone for everything at work... after they've left the company but never telling the truth while they were on the job. OR... maybe blaming them is just convenient?

Ya but they lost 3 all conference lineman and have a new offensive coordinator. I am hoping they will still be finding their starter at QB when they play us. New lineman against our dline is kind of hopeful.

P.S. - if you knew this and just meant skill-wise, nvm. I hate that they still have Sterling Shepard.

Yeah. They lost some D production as well but still return a good bit to be concerned about.

More winnable than last year for sure but Dobbs' work on throwing down field really needs to pay off in that game.

Lol. True. We, as fans don't know how Riley is going to line up. It's all guesses for now. Our season will depend on three things IMHO. 1) QB play 2) O-Line Play and 3) WR play. If we can get 1 and 3 going and get just close even to 2 playing well (not great, but well enough) we can maybe win some we shouldn't. If 2 is playing greater than we thought but 1 and 3 aren't producing, we are in trouble, regardless if we have Mixon/Perine/Anderson in the backfield (or all three at once). Alex Ross is probably the one that, although mentioned in the article as a RB but more of a slot-back, can put up some production out of the backfield. Like I said, depends on 1 and 3 listed above playing well, even if 2 isn't that great.

Perine is one of the best RBs in the country. Like Georgia, it would make sense to build around him(IMO). I believe our DL will be tested a lot in this game. It's my hope that our improved depth and young talent is up to the challenge.

Also I appreciate your insight as an opposing fan. It's good to see the other side from a respectable fan that offers useful information. :hi:

No, it wasn't "only Coleman" in the Bama game but if you don't think he was the weak link in the secondary you weren't paying attention.

Rather than continue down this tit for tat... I'm trying to turn over a new leaf at least a little... I'll just stop with the fact that Jones and staff never wavered on Coleman. Kelly Jr was probably athletic enough to play NB but didn't take time from Coleman. No one did. The NB in the current scheme is a pretty high pressure position. You have to play run support then cover a pass 40 yards down field on the next play. You call him the weak link... Jones treated him like a key contributor.

You and others seem to get things in your mind then refuse to let them go. Coleman did struggle at times in coverage and particularly on deep balls. Some claimed he was "slow" but that was never true. He has good speed. Why can't you just give Jones credit for one of the things he has already proven to be an elite coach at doing?- developing players.

No. I guess you're right. It is the greatest mark of courage and reason to wait until AFTER a guy leaves to blame him or criticize him.

I have criticized and praised Jones and several other members of his staff. When it is good, it is good... bad it is bad. To some apparently, it only becomes bad after a coach leaves.

Not even sure what you meant with the Dooley comment. I've acknowledged several times that I took the wrong approach with Dooley and with Fulmer before him. Like many here now, I thought there should be no criticism until There is nothing wrong with respectful criticism of current coach until "they've had the opportunity to definitively show they're lacking."

Sort of like blaming someone for everything at work... after they've left the company but never telling the truth while they were on the job. OR... maybe blaming them is just convenient?

What is your deal with this "after a coach leaves" quest you're on? What does it matter? It's a message board. It doesn't take "balls" to post opinions on anything on a message board, whether it's about a current/former/future coach/player/waterboy.

I'm pretty sure this is something you're not actually passionate about, this is just something for you to argue about.

But here's a question for the Oklahoma game. How many Carries does Perine get since they have changed their offense to the air raid??

Yes,expect OU to be in a base 4-2-5 with Striker coming off the edge. The experiment with him in space last year was a mistake. OU has played in large away venues many many times so I do not see Neyland being an issue. We return 2 starters in the OL and a tackle who started occasionally. We now have our best WR back after missing much of last year and some outstanding young developing talent. The new O under Riley is actually what we did before we dabbled, with marginal success, with the Pistol. We will be our old fast self with no selecting a play at the LOS. We will also get the ball out much faster in this O. The key in this game, in my opinion,is the QB on each team. We have traditionally struggled with mobile QB's and whomever wins the starting job for OU has a lot to prove. Really looking forward to this game. 4 of us have rented a house boat parked at Vol Landing.

So you had no "nads" when Dooley was coaching but you're big pimpin now! :eek:k:

I backed Bajakian with the hopes that he'd eventually excel...he didn't. So in the after action report (by your new mandate) I have to lie and say BOFFO?

You're prone to absolutes with no flexibility...so I tend to argue with you. :)

Last edited:
Rather than continue down this tit for tat... I'm trying to turn over a new leaf at least a little... I'll just stop with the fact that Jones and staff never wavered on Coleman. Kelly Jr was probably athletic enough to play NB but didn't take time from Coleman. No one did. The NB in the current scheme is a pretty high pressure position. You have to play run support then cover a pass 40 yards down field on the next play. You call him the weak link... Jones treated him like a key contributor.

You and others seem to get things in your mind then refuse to let them go. Coleman did struggle at times in coverage and particularly on deep balls. Some claimed he was "slow" but that was never true. He has good speed. Why can't you just give Jones credit for one of the things he has already proven to be an elite coach at doing?- developing players.

Agree, Coleman was the best guy for the job last year! Otherwise, the coaches wouldn't have had him in there. Period. But it's not fair to say Kelly Jr. was athletic but couldn't take any time away from him, therefore Coleman was the better player. Kelly Jr. was learning 1 position. And he missed on some schemes early in the year at that position that cost the team points. He had some freshman growing curves to surmount. No way he could be expected to learn another position without perfecting the first. The same way the coaching staff is making sure Sutton knows the nickle position this year. He might be needed there, and he's proven he knows his native position. Coleman did better when the staff moved him to nickle for all the reasons you said that is important when playing there. However, his drawbacks were put on display when a fast receiver was lined up in the slot against him. Coleman could stick with him if he read the route and didn't waiver. But once he was beaten, he couldn't make up for it. One thing is for certain, he never lacked for effort.

I have a question for the Oklahoma faithful. My personal memories of Oklahoma football go back to the classic 1968 Orange Bowl game that our two programs played and the 1971 Oklahoma team, which remains the most prolific rushing offense of all-time and who lost to Nebraska, 35-31, in what I still consider the greatest college football game that I have ever seen. My question for any old-time Sooner fans is this: Given how well and how long Oklahoma ran the wishbone, compared to the pass-happy offense you have had in recent years, which offense do you find more exciting and why?

Yes,expect OU to be in a base 4-2-5 with Striker coming off the edge. The experiment with him in space last year was a mistake. OU has played in large away venues many many times so I do not see Neyland being an issue. We return 2 starters in the OL and a tackle who started occasionally. We now have our best WR back after missing much of last year and some outstanding young developing talent. The new O under Riley is actually what we did before we dabbled, with marginal success, with the Pistol. We will be our old fast self with no selecting a play at the LOS. We will also get the ball out much faster in this O. The key in this game, in my opinion,is the QB on each team. We have traditionally struggled with mobile QB's and whomever wins the starting job for OU has a lot to prove. Really looking forward to this game. 4 of us have rented a house boat parked at Vol Landing.

will be interesting to see what Riley does w/ OU's talent. Assuming he was calling the shots at ECU...he made their QB seem like a CFB superstar -I think he was close to the top in multiple categories for a couple years. While ECU surely gets decent talent I don't think it's anywhere near the level of OU. Learning his scheme / style may take a little time but if Riley is the coach most think he is...then OU is in for a hot Offense this season.

Good post, but in each screen shot I see 2-3 unblocked linebackers or DBs so while a QB with some running skills can make some positive yards, I'm not sure any of them would be touchdowns.

That's true, but if Dobbs can consistently turn successful blitzes in to gained yards at first downs, OU will likely stop sending the house and try a different approach.

I have a question for the Oklahoma faithful. My personal memories of Oklahoma football go back to the classic 1968 Orange Bowl game that our two programs played and the 1971 Oklahoma team, which remains the most prolific rushing offense of all-time and who lost to Nebraska, 35-31, in what I still consider the greatest college football game that I have ever seen. My question for any old-time Sooner fans is this: Given how well and how long Oklahoma ran the wishbone, compared to the pass-happy offense you have had in recent years, which offense do you find more exciting and why?

I'm biased but I liked the wishbone. Every time they attacked the corners or ran the power off tackle, you never knew if that particular one was going to go the distance. Watching QB's like Mildren, Davis and Lott and RB's like Lil Joe Washington, Greg Pruitt, Elvis Peacock, Billy Sims, etc just made it seem more electrifying. I like the spread and understand it's going to be around until something else comes along, but I prefer the smash-mouth football that the wishbone gave.

What is your deal with this "after a coach leaves" quest you're on? What does it matter? It's a message board. It doesn't take "balls" to post opinions on anything on a message board, whether it's about a current/former/future coach/player/waterboy.

I'm pretty sure this is something you're not actually passionate about, this is just something for you to argue about.

Yes. More or less. Just a discussion on a chat board. Sorry if you took the "nads" comment more seriously than that.

FWIW, I've been called out for much less when criticizing a current coach. It would be next to impossible to remember where everyone came down in every discussion so I sincerely apologize for mis-labeling you earlier.

There are some here though who bristle at any notion of a mild criticism of a current coach but then blame a past coach for pretty much everything. Sorry I put you in that bin. We have several people here with some reference to Chattanooga in their name. That makes it even tougher to keep everyone straight.

VN Store

Back