Johnny Majors' History

Here's closer to the whole story:

1. Majors was mostly a disappointment at Tennessee, as it became increasingly evident his soft schedule at Pitt and Jackie Sherrill's designed defense had more to do with their national "title" than Majors' coaching acumen. Majors' blew a great era at Tennessee where the SEC was mostly down in the 80's, without divisional play, with usually only 1 ranked SEC opponent a year, and yet from 1977 to 1988 we won the equivalent of the SEC east once and the title once thanks to Florida's probation (and no title game), we were rarely a ranked team throughout any season, we rarely went to premier bowls, and went 1-13 against Dooley's Georgia, Bear's Bama and Florida.

You're seriously putting down Majors for his record, but you love Fulmer's???? Freakin' amazing!!!!!

From 1983-1991 + 1/2 of 1992 (last 9.5 years), Majors was 81-30-6
Bowls: 6-2
Finished top 10: 3 times
Finished 11-25: 2 times

From 2000-2008 (last 9 years), Fulmer was 71-31
Bowls: 3-4
Finished top 10: 1 times
Finished 11-25: 4.5 times (Coaches #25, not ranked in AP)

You really must be Phil posting this crap!!!!

You're seriously putting down Majors for his record, but you love Fulmer's???? Freakin' amazing!!!!!

From 1983-1991 + 1/2 of 1992 (last 9.5 years), Majors was 81-30-6
Bowls: 6-2
Finished top 10: 3 times
Finished 11-25: 2 times

From 2000-2008 (last 9 years), Fulmer was 71-31
Bowls: 3-4
Finished top 10: 1 times
Finished 11-25: 4.5 times (Coaches #25, not ranked in AP)

You really must be Phil posting this crap!!!!

Why start at 1983? Majors didn't. Is it because Bear had retired in 1982, and we only played Dooley's Georgia once during that era? The comparison from 1976-1988 was all the years of Majors before Fulmer took over the offense and recruiting versus after. Still, let's take your arbitrary choice of 1983 as the "starting point" to 1988, his last year before Fulmer took over the offense, took over recruiting, and kept critical staff members and players at UT when they wanted to quit or transfer under Majors:

1983-1988:

1983: Unranked all season; played 0 opponents in the top 10; lost to bad teams like Pitt & Ole Miss at home; snuck by an atrocious Rutgers team; no NYD/NYE bowl game.

1984: Unranked all season, again; tied a terrible Army team at home; bad losses to our only two ranked opponents; another failure to get a winning season in the SEC; no NYD or NYE bowl game; and winless against ranked foes.

1985: Great season, though lost the SEC on the field to Florida (their probation gave us the title), tied a bad Georgia Tech team at home, but had a great win against Miami. Finished in top 10.

1986: Classic Majors erraticism. Blow a pre-season top-10 ranking by being unranked most of the season with losses to a bad Miss. State team at home, then crushed by Auburn, then lose to horrid Army at home, then get humiliated by Bama on national TV, followed up by another bad loss to Georgia Tech for homecoming. Go on to play another no-nothing bowl and finish unranked again.

1987: Bad loss to a weak Bama team and a horrid loss to Boston College blew a season with only two ranked foes on the schedule. This kind of season would have been called "terrible" had Fulmer been named the HC.

1988: A losing season with horrid losses to Duke & Washington State at home, nearly lost against to a bad Boston College team for homecoming, struggled to win any game, and blown out by the two top ten teams we faced.

There's a reason Majors turned over the offense, the offensive staff, recruiting to Fulmer and promised him he'd be the HC -- Majors was about to be canned if he didn't.

I wanted to see Chavis gone before Sanders. My 2 cents. Granted I havent been really following since 99'

I could have "started" it anywhere, but it's teh ending years that are more relevant.

Majors actually IMPROVED from the beginning years while Fulmer was getting worse.

I really don't understand this hardon you have for Fulmer unless you are related to him.

I am grateful for what Phil did (not once did I make fun of him or call him Phil), but he lost his game, and it was time for him to go!!!!

Period.

Why start at 1983? Majors didn't. Is it because Bear had retired in 1982, and we only played Dooley's Georgia once during that era? The comparison from 1976-1988 was all the years of Majors before Fulmer took over the offense and recruiting versus after. Still, let's take your arbitrary choice of 1983 as the "starting point" to 1988, his last year before Fulmer took over the offense, took over recruiting, and kept critical staff members and players at UT when they wanted to quit or transfer under Majors:

1983-1988:

1983: Unranked all season; played 0 opponents in the top 10; lost to bad teams like Pitt & Ole Miss at home; snuck by an atrocious Rutgers team; no NYD/NYE bowl game.

1984: Unranked all season, again; tied a terrible Army team at home; bad losses to our only two ranked opponents; another failure to get a winning season in the SEC; no NYD or NYE bowl game; and winless against ranked foes.

1985: Great season, though lost the SEC on the field to Florida (their probation gave us the title), tied a bad Georgia Tech team at home, but had a great win against Miami. Finished in top 10.

1986: Classic Majors erraticism. Blow a pre-season top-10 ranking by being unranked most of the season with losses to a bad Miss. State team at home, then crushed by Auburn, then lose to horrid Army at home, then get humiliated by Bama on national TV, followed up by another bad loss to Georgia Tech for homecoming. Go on to play another no-nothing bowl and finish unranked again.

1987: Bad loss to a weak Bama team and a horrid loss to Boston College blew a season with only two ranked foes on the schedule. This kind of season would have been called "terrible" had Fulmer been named the HC.

1988: A losing season with horrid losses to Duke & Washington State at home, nearly lost against to a bad Boston College team for homecoming, struggled to win any game, and blown out by the two top ten teams we faced.

There's a reason Majors turned over the offense, the offensive staff, recruiting to Fulmer and promised him he'd be the HC -- Majors was about to be canned if he didn't.

You're forgetting another component. We had NO facilities during most of Majors' tenure. I mean, the worst. Remember Gibbs hall back in the day? Who would want to live there? Their weight room was terrible. I think shared with common student body at times? No practice facility indoors, but i think we were not alone in that regard. The stadium locker room was a joke. The opponent's locker room was not much worse.

When Johnny got back from Pittsburgh, the first thing he did was take Bob Woodruff (ok maybe not the very first thing) on a tour of the facilities. He explained that around the country other schools are beating us because of this. Now, you can't build Rome in a day, but UT just about did. They redid existing facilities, locker room, weight rooms, built practice facilities, upgraded Gibbs, and more. Then, along came the signature win in New Orleans, and really the program began to take shape.

I was a student during the 1982-1987 seasons and let me tell you, i had no complaints about Fulmer's tenure. OK, maybe a few. But i was always grateful for the program's growth during that time.

I didn't want them to fire Majors, but they kinda had no choice, whether or not he was set up.

I really didn't want them to fire Fulmer. But, sometimes when fans fail to show up, you have to start from the top and that's what we did.

I liked the Kiffin hire on the outset but like everybody, can't stand the Fu-*^er.

I absolutely love the Dooley hire. I think he will weather this storm and get a fair share of excitement back into the program regardless of the number of wins.

I think we have the guy. UT football is more entertaining than it was last year. It became more of a business under Kiffin. Under Fulmer the last few years it was like ok one more season and you're gone.

I think the fans sense it. I think you'll still see some good numbers show up for the November games.

I like where we are headed. Reminds me of the late 80's and early 90's when we started winning against teams we didn't have a prayer against in the early 80's. That, to me, is fun.

Majors needed to go and they were late in doing that, just as they were late in sending Fulmer on his way. Fulmer opened it up when he took over and it ran well, but once he got the job he was back to the 3rd and long draw plays like Major’s ran prior to his dismissal. I know that the team didn’t think much of Major’s as he was really only a figure head. My roommate was the long snapper the year that Gibbs was closed and the figure head statement came from him.

All in all Major’s did himself in, but he will never admit that and had to have someone to blame. Not saying that Fulmer didn’t have a thought in his head about taking over, but Major’s attitude and drinking did the trick in my opinion.

I'm 38. I was a UT student at the time.

IMO Fulmer behaved abominably, but by that time Majors had made himself into such a completely unsympathetic character that it was A) impossible to feel sorry for him and B) easy to see why so many people wanted him gone. I don't see how you could defend either of them.

Would you please tell us specifically what Fulmer did that was abominable? Not what you "heard from ....." but, something we can go and read somewhere that is in black and white? I'm really curious to know. I have asked this question everywhere, maybe you can finally solve it for me.

VN Store

Back