John Ward helmet sticker? Jersey patch? PAGING DEERPARK

A space in the football and basketball pressboxes created with an empty chair draped with a blue towel, headphones and mic at the ready and all game day materials provided to the other broadcasters set up on the desk for all home games. It shouldn't be ostentatious as it wouldn't have to be. But when you went in there, you'd know it was John's seat and could be filled only by him. Like Neyland and Summit, don't think you can overstate the shadow he cast over that campus.

Reactions: 4 people
This one from Chad Fields is pretty nice

Attachments

• 3EC0E534-C17F-4654-8016-C0A1C36A6FD6.jpg
    3EC0E534-C17F-4654-8016-C0A1C36A6FD6.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: 12 people
John was way too unassuming to have wanted something like a statue. Does the press box already have a name? If not that would seem fitting

I saw that interview of him predicting how within three to five years fans would move on from him to the next guy. John was the best radio play by play guy I have ever heard, but he was not worth a damn at foretelling the future.

"Natural Gas" sticker.....

All seriousness......just JW in black.

I saw that interview of him predicting how within three to five years fans would move on from him to the next guy. John was the best radio play by play guy I have ever heard, but he was not worth a damn at foretelling the future.

he hasnt called plays in 19 years and I have cried like a baby since last night. This is like a second dad passing away. You were wrong, Mr Ward. Oh so wrong.

I never heard one Ward broadcast. Must have been a great announcer.

It was a different world back then. No 24 hour ESPN sports coverage, no Internet and no cable tv.

We only had broadcast TV and we where lucky to see 2 or 3 games a year on TV and thats including a bowl game. So to keep up with our vols we had to watch the clips of the game on the local news or read about the game in the paper the next day or go to the game itself, or listen to it on the radio.
For most of us John Ward was our access to the Tennessee Vols. He was our eyes on the court or in the stadium and man he could make you feel like you where sitting right there watching the game beside him. I cant count how many times I closed my eyes and let John take me to the hill to watch my Vols Play. It was wonderful, with John you had the best seats in the house.

He was so important to us back then and I am so sad he is gone.

Reactions: 5 people
Best way to honor this man is run the damn score up on ever bunch of a$$ holes we play.

It was a different world back then. No 24 hour ESPN sports coverage, no Internet and no cable tv.

We only had broadcast TV and we where lucky to see 2 or 3 games a year on TV and thats including a bowl game. So to keep up with our vols we had to watch the clips of the game on the local news or read about the game in the paper the next day or go to the game itself, or listen to it on the radio.
For most of us John Ward was our access to the Tennessee Vols. He was our eyes on the court or in the stadium and man he could make you feel like you where sitting right there watching the game beside him. I cant count how many times I closed my eyes and let John take me to the hill to watch my Vols Play. It was wonderful, with John you had the best seats in the house.

He was so important to us back then and I am so sad he is gone.

Very well said. Is Kessling in that role now?

He was great at football, but go back and listen to him handle UT basketball games when Mears coached and guys like Boerwinkle played. The Ernie and Bernie Show, etc, his greatness was it didn't matter which sport he announced he was just beyond great at it.

Reactions: 3 people

I’m so sorry for any in VOL nation that never had the honor of ever riding in a car on a sunny Saturday afternoon, in October, leaves changing colors, smelling the autumn air and tuning the radio on (had to just it get it right), and hearing John Ward saying “ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!” Nothing like it.

Reactions: 7 people
In addition to a jersey patch or helmet sticker, I would love to see all the players come out of the tunnel at the first home game this year and run through the T with his signature blue towel draped around their necks.

Reactions: 3 people
I recall sitting in our airport tower during Desert Storm. We tuned into AFRTS radio to catch the Vols (the Vol Network gave the broadcast to AFTRS for no money) and I heard "Wherever you are listening around the World. . . It's Football Time in Tennessee!" It gave me chills and it seemed he was talking to me. It still gives me appreciation for the environment we were in, and appreciation for John Ward and the VN for the broadcasts through the years.

Reactions: 6 people
I recall sitting in our airport tower during Desert Storm. We tuned into AFRTS radio to catch the Vols (the Vol Network gave the broadcast to AFTRS for no money) and I heard "Wherever you are listening around the World. . . It's Football Time in Tennessee!" It gave me chills and it seemed he was talking to me. It still gives me appreciation for the environment we were in, and appreciation for John Ward and the VN for the broadcasts through the years.

Awesome story about the power of his words. Bless you for your service

I was watching a replay on youtube of John Ward calling the Tennessee Kentucky basketball game from 1975. JW was a great football announcer, but anyone who ever listened to him call a basketball game knows he was without peer in that sport, too! No one used his signature "bottom" to describe a made shot in hoops. Plus his description of the action was so spot on. That is the sport I have the most memories of him, especially in the King/Grunfeld era.

As good as he was in football, and that was great, he better at basketball

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back