Jimmy England illness

One of the things that stands out is how they [Mears] would pull the other 4 away from the lane and let Jimmy go one on one with whoever was guarding him. He almost always won that confrontation.

Reactions: 1 person
Sad news!! I have close ties with what is now Holston Middle; I need to check to see if Jimmy is represented in the lobby display cases where a lot of Holston High memorabilia is displayed. While the gym has changed somewhat over the years, it is still essentially the same gym. There was a lot of great basketball played there, football not so much, but the basketball was fantastic. I still go into the part of the building periodically where the football dressing room used to be. The records and scores from many years is still visible where they were handwritten in marker on the concrete walls along with some player "autographs".

Reactions: 2 people
May he rest in peace. No more pain or sorrow. Just joy with being reunited with those passed.

So very sorry to hear of his passing.......When he had the ball, you knew it would be OK. Time is like a jet plane.

Jimmy was the 2nd of "The Big 3" out of Knoxville to play a major factor in Coach Ray Mears system as perimeter players. He was preceded by Billy Justus and succeeded by Bert Bertelcamp at the pg position. Other pg's that were also major factors were Ron Widby(also played fb) and "Little" Dickie Johnston. The Mears Era was when I first became an avid Vol basketball fan and have followed ever since.

My prayers for Jimmy and His Family during these tough days.

With all due respects to BB, he wasn't close, on his best day, to Justus or England. Those guys were All SEC guys. Bert was just another player.

Interesting fact about Jimmy England: he wore number 22 at home and number 23 on the road. I had forgotten that tidbit of trivia until I saw an old picture of Jimmy playing at Kentucky on a Kentucky web site.

In my mind's eye the Vol legends remain forever young as they were when the played on the Hill. RIP Jimmy

VN Store

Back