Jeremy Pruitt comments on his first Florida game, matching up against Dan Mullen's offense

(I posted this in another thread earlier tonight.)

My hope is that we have a coach that wants it MOST for TN...not for him, the players, or any other reason before wanting it for UT and the football program. When we find that again, we will have found the next great one. That type of head coach has been missing for years.

Pruitt strikes me as a hyper-competitive guy who wants to win simply because there's a game.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Pruitt strikes me as a hyper-competitive guy who wants to win simply because there's a game.

While true that CJP is hyper competitive he understands that focusing on the process is what wins football games. When he yells its for the purpose of teaching, encouraging and building confidence. We didn't hear what he said to Callaway after he didn't field the punt (after the muff) but it was probably more like "you're better than that, you're our guy, just do what you do everyday in practice and make the *&%# catch, now get out there and play like I know you can." than "you cost us 15 yards, what were you thinking, make that catch or we'll find someone who can". JMHO

I tend to agree. I just hope that he can get UT in his blood at some point. Such jealousy is more natural when its your alma mater, but it happens. UT is worthy of such jealousy.

If a coach is in it to win it for his career, that can hurt a program. Cf. Kiffin
not everything is an extreme. not every coach is going to "kiffin" us.

there was a reason so many were upset when he left. people saw the potential of what a kiffin led program could have been capable of over the next few years....2010 and beyond.

if we win Saturday, i promise no one will be like "yeah, but he only wanted to win because it's good for his resume".

and if there some of those people, i just won't care.

Reactions: 901Vol
not everything is an extreme. not every coach is going to "kiffin" us.

there was a reason so many were upset when he left. people saw the potential of what a kiffin led program could have been capable of over the next few years....2010 and beyond.

if we win Saturday, i promise no one will be like "yeah, but he only wanted to win because it's good for his resume".

and if there some of those people, i just won't care.

As for your point, I am for winning despite the immediate motivation.

My point is about building a winning era above a game or season. I'm just saying that when a coach reaches the point of winning for the university, it is better served. A winning era is usually beyond individual interest.

I tend to agree. I just hope that he can get UT in his blood at some point. Such jealousy is more natural when its your alma mater, but it happens. UT is worthy of such jealousy.

I think he already has UT in his blood. He watched them as a kid growing up.

He COULD hold back the last two games. Maybe that's why he did. Maybe we will see more long passes like the one we saw Saturday.

Pruitt should use everything in the arsenal in this game...

I’m pretty sure he has the balls and the expertise...do we have the talent to pull it off is the question...

Damn..., looking back over this post, I'm damaged goods after the last 2 decades.

We all are!

And yet, we have the better team. I can say that rationally. JG is better than Felipe Franks. I'd take our RBs over Florida's. I might even take our WRs over theirs with the emergence of Palmer.

But my god ... the O-line play ... it's enough so that I don't want to make any positive predictions right now. Poor o-line play is enough to sink everything else, as we've all learned the past few seasons. Just hoping that the OL and DL get things figured out this week!

Reactions: marvin616
As for your point, I am for winning despite the immediate motivation.

My point is about building a winning era above a game or season. I'm just saying that when a coach reaches the point of winning for the university, it is better served. A winning era is usually beyond individual interest.
i've never once heard Nick Saban say "row tide" or "yeller hammer". he's a yankee from WV that just wins. he isn't, nor did he become, the HC at Alabama because of some deep seated love for that university.

i'm sure he's very fond of it. i'm sure on some level he "loves" it. but i'd bet he'd say the same about Mich St, LSU etc...as well.

Can you share how you know this to be true?
The first half of the ETSU game, Pruitt was calm on the sideline, and mostly talking to coaches and key players. After the weather delay, when we were on defense, he was out in the middle of the field screaming plays making signs and directing players. I was at the game and everyone sitting around me noticed it because it stuck out like a sore thumb.

If it were Pruitt vs Mullen in a mano to mano battle I would pick Pruitt every time. But they arent the ones playing, their plans have to be executed on the field by the teams they have. Confidence in our team vs theirs? Hmmmm..... I WANT to believe. Not sure I am there yet.
We will definitely see who we are this Saturday. I agree execution is gonna be Key! Personally I am not impressed with Mullen and thank god we didn't put on a full court press to hire him. I don't get the whole hoopla of Mullen's offense and him being QB whisperer comes from. If you actually look at the man's resume, his tenure at Mississippi St was mediocre.

The first half of the ETSU game, Pruitt was calm on the sideline, and mostly talking to coaches and key players. After the weather delay, when we were on defense, he was out in the middle of the field screaming plays making signs and directing players. I was at the game and everyone sitting around me noticed it because it stuck out like a sore thumb.
I’m thought CJP said he’d be calling D plays from Day 1. I dont think he’s stepping on anybody. He’s a D guy that will always be heavily involved on that side of the ball...with his background it would be foolish not to.

VN Store

Back