Jeremy Pruitt “Eat Crow” Thread

Coaches 100000001 Press Conferences still 0.

Recruiting won't win me over. Press conferences won't win me over. Every coach who ever coached here signed very good players. They were all competent on the mic, at least early on until they start losing and no one cares what they say.

Come back at this time next year and have some crow if we're going to a bowl game. Even then it'd only be a small helping.

Wins and years are what it's going to take.

Reactions: 2 people
Pruitt is a winner, he's won everywhere he's been. He's a straight-up football coach in mostly all facets of the game...he'll get the HC stuff down w/ Fulmer's support.

Lyle Allen Jones, Jr. won everywhere he'd been, too. How'd that work out? It boggles the mind that we hear the same fantastical stories every 3-5 years. Supporting a program is one thing, blindly supporting anyone with a Power T pin on their lapel is another.

Reactions: 3 people
I think the main difference between JP and BJ will be that actions will speak louder than words for JP. That in itself will be a refreshing change.

Reactions: 1 person
Lyle Allen Jones, Jr. won everywhere he'd been, too. How'd that work out? It boggles the mind that we hear the same fantastical stories every 3-5 years. Supporting a program is one thing, blindly supporting anyone with a Power T pin on their lapel is another.

We did hear some of this with Jones, but didn't with Dooley or Kiffin so much. At least Jones had a winning record at his previous stops. Dooley had never been even a coordinator, had a loosing record at LaTech. Kiffin was a co-coordinator and had some shady dealings with the Raiders granted they had crazy Al running things.

Pruitt First Year Milestones of Measurement
1. Recruiting. He obviously started off way way behind. But he is showing up in the right places and gaining a little traction. We will know in early February.
2. Strength and Conditioning. This is a huge area and we have seen what neglecting this aspect can mean for roster depth. The Power T needs to return to standing for Toughness.
3. Coaching Staff. There is a strong correlation between surrounding himself with talented coaches and winning.
4. Public Face. We don't need a huckster going to state fairs. A solid social presence and an approachable personality go a long way for a coach.
5. Disciplined team. No off-field issues. Period.
6. Winning Cures All. It is going to be a tough year on the field for the first year HC. A bowl game invite would mark an improvement and meeting expectation. A win between September 22 and October 20 would be unexpectedly awesome.

#5....having a disciplined team is a major goal, but when you have a team full of 18-24 yr old college athletes eventually **** will happen. Dealing with it in a fair, firm, consistent way is key.

Winning trumps all...

Go Vols!

I would keep that serving of crow under the heat lamps until you see what he puts on the field.

Butch vs. Pruitt...LOL, that's a joke comparison.

'blindly'...LOL
'fanatical'...LOL

I've done my homework, NOTHING 'blindly' or fanatical' regardless of your rush-to-judgement innuendo...and I choose to have an optimistic perception on Pruitt and the future of the program, because I've done 'my' homework.

Here's what some of the best in the game say about Pruitt...what would they know ??

What They're Saying About Jeremy Pruitt - University of Tennessee Athletics

Additionally the coaches and players that are behind the scene insiders (not fans and media) in the collegiate and pro games, say Pruitt checks mostly all of the boxes for Tier-1 level coaching criteria...here's some of the most important boxes that Fulmer checked off:

CHARACTER/LOYALTY- Coaching reputation. Respect level among peers in the football community not the public or media perception.

BACKGROUND- Experience and achievement level to this point in his career. Association with winning program helps but not a necessity.

PLAYER AND STAFF DEVELOPMENT- The ability to teach, communicate and develop players technical skills. This includes the knowledge of positional technique , use of players within scheme concepts and the ability to motivate and generate the most out of a player’s ability. It also includes the ability to teach and develop assistant coaches on his staff.

TECHNICAL-The ability to design and implement systems, designing of game plans, including creating favorable matchup situations and game day adjustments. It also includes the teaching of assistant coaches and players in a classroom situation. This is known as “ knowing football”.

TEACHING- The ability to translate the knowledge from the technical sense onto the practice field where you can creatively get your point across in various manners to help players understand thoroughly and quickly. Motivation is a crucial part of teaching.

TALENT EVALUATOR- The ability to identify the technical and athletic traits of players. It also includes the ability to evaluate other coaches skills.

RECRUITING/SALESMANSHIP- The ability to show verbally, on the blackboard, and in film cutups how a player fits into the football system as well as how he fits into the chemistry of the football team or community in which the team resides.

PROGRAM/TEAM MANAGEMENT-The ability to work with staff administrators, personnel and support staff.

In order to be successful as a coach, he must be outstanding in 5 of these areas and good in at least 2 others. Pruitt meets this standard...If he is lacking in any of these areas, he must hire assistant coaches exceptionally well in areas where he is not strong. In these cases, the quality of his staff is more important than those who excel in those areas...Based on what I've seen, that's being handled 'swiftly' and effectively.

So please, don't say 'blindly' to me again...much less 'fanatical'...mic drop! End.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 5 people
Butch vs. Pruitt...LOL, that's a joke comparison.

'blindly'...LOL
'fanatical'...LOL

I've done my homework, NOTHING 'blindly' or fanatical' regardless of your rush-to-judgement innuendo...and I choose to have an optimistic perception on Pruitt and the future of the program, because I've done 'my' homework.

Here's what some of the best in the game say about Pruitt...what would they know ??

What They're Saying About Jeremy Pruitt - University of Tennessee Athletics

Additionally the coaches and players that are behind the scene insiders (not fans and media) in the collegiate and pro games, say Pruitt checks mostly all of the boxes for Tier-1 level coaching criteria...here's some of the most important boxes that Fulmer checked off:

CHARACTER/LOYALTY- Coaching reputation. Respect level among peers in the football community not the public or media perception.

BACKGROUND- Experience and achievement level to this point in his career. Association with winning program helps but not a necessity.

PLAYER AND STAFF DEVELOPMENT- The ability to teach, communicate and develop players technical skills. This includes the knowledge of positional technique , use of players within scheme concepts and the ability to motivate and generate the most out of a player’s ability. It also includes the ability to teach and develop assistant coaches on his staff.

TECHNICAL-The ability to design and implement systems, designing of game plans, including creating favorable matchup situations and game day adjustments. It also includes the teaching of assistant coaches and players in a classroom situation. This is known as “ knowing football”.

TEACHING- The ability to translate the knowledge from the technical sense onto the practice field where you can creatively get your point across in various manners to help players understand thoroughly and quickly. Motivation is a crucial part of teaching.

TALENT EVALUATOR- The ability to identify the technical and athletic traits of players. It also includes the ability to evaluate other coaches skills.

RECRUITING/SALESMANSHIP- The ability to show verbally, on the blackboard, and in film cutups how a player fits into the football system as well as how he fits into the chemistry of the football team or community in which the team resides.

PROGRAM/TEAM MANAGEMENT-The ability to work with staff administrators, personnel and support staff.

In order to be successful as a coach, he must be outstanding in 5 of these areas and good in at least 2 others. Pruitt meets this standard...If he is lacking in any of these areas, he must hire assistant coaches exceptionally well in areas where he is not strong. In these cases, the quality of his staff is more important than those who excel in those areas...Based on what I've seen, that's being handled 'swiftly' and effectively.

So please, don't say 'blindly' to me again...much less 'fanatical'...mic drop! End.

Go Vols!

tl;dr

As soon as I saw your misrepresentation of "FANTASTICAL" (say it with me, FANTASTICAL), I stopped reading. Not to mention, the fact you had to type a novel to convey whatever point it was you were trying to make says a lot about the very things I cautioned against.

tl;dr

As soon as I saw your misrepresentation of "FANTASTICAL" (say it with me, FANTASTICAL), I stopped reading. Not to mention, the fact you had to type a novel to convey whatever point it was you were trying to make says a lot about the very things I cautioned against.

nice come back. short enough?

I’d like a serving of Crow to go please with an extra side of “I was wrong.”

I’d like to apologize for having an negative outlook when Jeremy Pruitt was officially announced.

There was a handful of coaching candidates that I would have loved to see in Knoxville.

Obviously Fulmer hired a guy that he thinks is the best interest for UT Football.

After listening to Pruitt’s press conference, seeing the elite staff he’s already assembled, and building relationships with high school kids in a short period of time, is very impressive.

Pruitt sounds & acts like an actual football coach without all the annoying cliches and constant BS.

I honestly feel like this Hire is different compared to the last two previous hires. When you’ve been down for so long having gone through Butch & Dooley, you’re going to be somewhat cautious about who the Administration is going to hire next.

Pruitt wasn’t my first choice but I’m feeling more optimistic and confident heading into next season.

I think me & every other poster who disagreed with the Pruitt hire, should take a step back and actually appreciate what he’s trying to build here.

He may or may not work out in the future, nobody knows for sure. But he deserves our support and a chance to see what he can do with this football team.

If you’re feeling guilty and need to admit you was wrong about this hire, this is the thread for you.

Go Vols!

I'm excited too, but let's let him coach his first game before crowning him.

Reactions: 1 person

I’d like to apologize for having an negative outlook when Jeremy Pruitt was officially announced.

There was a handful of coaching candidates that I would have loved to see in Knoxville.

Obviously Fulmer hired a guy that he thinks is the best interest for UT Football.

After listening to Pruitt’s press conference, seeing the elite staff he’s already assembled, and building relationships with high school kids in a short period of time, is very impressive.

Pruitt sounds & acts like an actual football coach without all the annoying cliches and constant BS.

I honestly feel like this Hire is different compared to the last two previous hires. When you’ve been down for so long having gone through Butch & Dooley, you’re going to be somewhat cautious about who the Administration is going to hire next.

Pruitt wasn’t my first choice but I’m feeling more optimistic and confident heading into next season.

I think me & every other poster who disagreed with the Pruitt hire, should take a step back and actually appreciate what he’s trying to build here.

He may or may not work out in the future, nobody knows for sure. But he deserves our support and a chance to see what he can do with this football team.

If you’re feeling guilty and need to admit you was wrong about this hire, this is the thread for you.

Go Vols!

No crow boss, I'll cook you a steak though if you come to Madisonville, KY!

In a couple of years I really hope that every other SEC coach and Ath Dept really really hates Jeremy Pruitt, on the sideline at least anyway.

No need to serve that crow up yet.

Let’s see him win the East, SEC, and NC first.

He *might* be a great coach. But he isn't the explosive hire that we were promised. I'm still upset about the whole coaching search. All is not suddenly right. Pruitt is definitely better than some of the alternatives, but I was holding out hope that we would still land a proven, high-quality coach. I think that it's okay to be disappointed.

I believe that our fanbase would have been disappointed with Pruitt if he was hired (or almost hired) initially (instead of Schiano). Many of us readjusted our expectations when big names continued to fall off of the board. To an extent, I readjusted expectations of who the coach would be. But I did not readjust my expectations of the university. Our administration failed spectacularly... and this hire doesn't make things right. I'm still upset. I still feel like UT settled (compared to the promise). And I feel like our administration set us up for failure.

Having said all of that... I am hopeful that Pruitt will be successful. He is certainly saying the right things... and I am happier now than I was when his name was first floated. He might be great; I really hope so.

Reactions: 4 people
20 bucks for anyone who actually eats a crow?

If you like the dark chicken meat then you would probably like crow meat. They are legal to hunt and I have heard from some old folks that back in the hard times they ate crow often. Like most wild game, it depends on how you cook it

He could be another Dabo or another Muschamp. He has done everything right so far but so did Butch when he started. Everybody ate up that brick by brick shiz. It's fine to be cautiously optimistic. Just see how it plays out.

Best to support the coach, give him time and hope he builds block by block instead of those small bricks!!

Go Vols!

Dilly Dilly!

We did hear some of this with Jones, but didn't with Dooley or Kiffin so much. At least Jones had a winning record at his previous stops. Dooley had never been even a coordinator, had a loosing rAecord at LaTech. Kiffin was a co-coordinator and had some shady dealings with the Raiders granted they had crazy Al running things.

Not a Kiffin supporter or hater, but I am a Raider fan and your comment about Kiffin’s experience with the Raiders is incorrect. Kiffin fell out of favor because he adamantly opposed drafting JaMarcus Russell. And, he continued to complain about the sanity of Al Davis who was adamant about drafting him. This conflict was the major “insubordination,” “Snake” references to Kiffin. By the way Kiffin was completely right about that.

VN Store

Back