Jauan Jennings vs. Torrance Gibson at QB

My issue with Jennings at QB is I think he is close to being a 5* Safety, and I could see him getting drafted to the NFL in the early rounds as a Safety in 4 years.

My fake Crystal Ball tells me that neither Gibson or Jennings will be listed as an UT QB come 2016. Gibson probably will not come here, and Jennings will be moved to D.

he'll have to beat out 3 other almost 5* safeties in TK2,McDowell,and Gaulden(if he's not at a nickel or CB)...

This has been my stance all along. No downside to competition.

Already have 2 QBs verbally committed this cycle .... 1. an elite passer in Dormady and 2. a phenomenal athlete and dual threat QB in Jauan Jennings. Both are high character, low drama kids. Limited spots left this class, other pressing needs IMO. Let the competition be between Dobbs, Dormady, Jennings and (I guess) Peterman in 2015.

Torrance Gibson is a freakish athlete. If he comes and competes and starts as QB...his read option speed and agility is second to none. He has a strong arm and seems to have a Hellish work ethic...if he doesn't make it as a QB he would make a nasty weapon at WR...Butch has a plan...athleticism, speed, size, speed, and more speed...and Gibson has skills given by the Almighty that can't be coached. He is an asset no matter what if he is on this team.

Reactions: 3 people
Already have 2 QBs verbally committed this cycle .... 1. an elite passer in Dormady and 2. a phenomenal athlete and dual threat QB in Jauan Jennings. Both are high character, low drama kids. Limited spots left this class, other pressing needs IMO. Let the competition be between Dobbs, Dormady, Jennings and (I guess) Peterman in 2015.

Still not seeing any downside to Gibsons commitment. If he does not work out at QB we get a very good WR with insane athleticism, 6'4 and true 4.4 speed.

Reactions: 2 people
Still not seeing any downside to Gibsons commitment. If he does not work out at QB we get a very good WR with insane athleticism, 6'4 and true 4.4 speed.

You're choosing to ignore the downside in favor of the *'s. It's alright that you do. Everyone looks at recruiting in different ways.

I don't disagree about Gibson's athletic ability. Just don't think we need another freakish DT QB who's a bit of a project...already have that in Jennings. Also, we're pretty loaded at WR with Williams and (soon to be IMO) Jefferson added to North, Malone, Croom, Pearson, Smith, Johnson, Wharton, Howard, Jenkins and possibly Kameel Jackson. We do however have more pressing needs at CB, DL, OL and LB with limited spots and I think we're better served to shift our attention there.

Finally, there are reported potential attitude/grade/diva issues with Gibson. If Butch decides to take the kid I'd obviously celebrate getting another 5 star athlete and trust CBJ's judgment. However, prior to that happening, given the information flying around from credible sources, I think we look to fill up the class elsewhere.

Reactions: 3 people
You're choosing to ignore the downside in favor of the *'s. It's alright that you do. Everyone looks at recruiting in different ways.

Not to nitpick but I believe he's choosing to ignore the downside in favor the upside (size, speed, and athleticism.) At no point were the number of stars mentioned.

Reactions: 1 person
Not to nitpick but I believe he's choosing to ignore the downside in favor the upside (size, speed, and athleticism.) At no point were the number of stars mentioned.

BOT has shown of late that to him the *'s are about all that really matters. Drop anyone who is less than 4*'s and take anyone ranked higher than anyone we currently have committed.

Even if UT has not been recruiting them at all, a twitter mention of "go vols" is enough to drop a 5.7 for a 5.8 in a heartbeat. :p

I don't care if Gibson gets knocked down to a 3*. I just personally think we could always use a phenomenal athlete who is 6'4 with true 4.4 speed. It seems you think we don't need talented players on our team. It's ok. There are a few people who think like you do.

Reactions: 2 people
We will not take 3 QB's because it'll be next to impossible to get one next year. Not taking a QB every year is what gets you in these kind of messes.

It's all well and good to want Gibson for whatever reason you want, but that means JJ or QD are gone. JJ is #1 instate and QD is probably the most natural QB out of all 3 that are being mentioned. Unfortunately for TG, that leaves him on the outside looking in.

I don't care if Gibson gets knocked down to a 3*. I just personally think we could always use a phenomenal athlete who is 6'4 with true 4.4 speed. It seems you think we don't need talented players on our team. It's ok. There are a few people who think like you do.

I'll take the kids who don't have a few screws loose. Being a good player takes a lot more than 4.4 speed. It's very rare you ever run 40 yards in a straight line in football. I've never why people russle their jimmies over the 40.

There is a reason why they're both listed as athletes and that's because they're both better at another position other than the QB position. Jennings will be a much better at the safety position rather than QB. Gibson will be better at WR than QB.

UT has one true QB commit and that's in Dormady. Even at that we don't know how good he will be since he hasn't played football in pads at full speed since his sophomore year. Yet, the star gazers will point out that he is 4* and is the #5 Pro style qb in the country. Oh, he also tore it up at the Texas 7on championships....which means nothing to me because that is geared to make QB's and WR's look good.

Yes, Dormady has great height and size with a big arm but that means nothing until I see him play his senior year out.

But he's a four star and the number five player in the country as a pro style qb.

All 3 would benefit from a redshirt. By next year Dobbs should be ready to take over and shine with the weapons he has around him. I believe he can be coached to avoid the turnovers he had last year when he had few options to work with.

Not a chance. Dobbs will start. Peterman will back up. Dormady, Jennings and Gibson if he comes will redshirt.

We'll see. They may want to RS Dormady but if they're counting on Peterman to back Dobbs up I seriously doubt they'll have that luxury. I'll stand by my original statement. Im a Dobbs fan, but unless he takes a few sizable steps forward, early enrollee Dormady will be pushing Dobbs for the job.

VN Store

Back