Jarnell Stokes tweet about Pearl

He takes a shot at Pearl and fans make it about Zo. Wow. I guess he's supposed to like Pearl and the Auburn program over being a proud Vol. How dare he.

Seriously? He never played for Pearl so why else would he drop his name in a tweet? Pearl pushed UT more than any basketball coach I can remember.

I could be wrong but weren't we Stokes' 3rd choice? For some reason I remember Memphis and UK not having room for him.

Seriously? He never played for Pearl so why else would he drop his name in a tweet? Pearl pushed UT more than any basketball coach I can remember.

I could be wrong but weren't we Stokes' 3rd choice? For some reason I remember Memphis and UK not having room for him.

And now you're taking shots at Stokes? My lord.

Reactions: 2 people

Stokes was a silent commit to UT before Pearl was fired. Steve Forbes told me that before all the crap went down. The KNS story ofnStokes a couple of years ago said the same thing. He lost interest in UT when the coaching change happened at Coach Martin did a great job of getting him back.

My point is Pearl is not a Vol the last time I checked. Stokes is a VFL. However you are making a conscious choice to hold on to past accomplishments from a coach who was terminated. You're actually chastising Stokes for doing something every Vol fan does to the competition but because it's Pearl he crossed the line. What's wrong with that picture?

Reactions: 1 person
Not for basketball. On Hamilton's watch, basketball improved drastically.

Other than accidentally hire Pearl, who people are currently cussing, please explain your genius to the rest of us morons. Explain step by step what Hamilton did to resurrect UT hoops.

22690f7965535d0795059aaf1dcb5864fe770ccfa07880a3dcbd64d55b24ae7c.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
That's basketball recruiting class, not football. And if you're new to the Auburn hoops scene within the last six months, get used to it.*Bruce Pearl*and Co. have energized the Auburn basketball program by securing four elite commitments and setting the stage for big things to come.

"Pearl is a top-notch recruiter," 247Sports national basketball analyst Jerry Meyer said. "It's a surprise to see Auburn this high though, even with Pearl. He is beating expectations, but that's why he's one of the best."

What's the inside scoop on the current basketball class? We talked to sources close to the program to get analysis on the Tigers' extremely impressive group.

Horace Spencer
Findlay Prep, 6-foot-8, 215 pounds
No. 10 PF, No. 32 overall
Described as "powerful," Spencer has an incredible build with wide shoulders that makes him easily capable of handling another 25-30 pounds of good weight after he arrives to Auburn. Spencer is an "explosive" athlete that is best from 17 feet and in. He blocks shots, plays hard, is a good fit within an up-tempo offense. Spencer is firmly committed to Auburn.

Danjel Purifoy
Hargrave Military Academy, 6-foot-7, 200 pounds
No. 9 SF, No. 48 overall
If Spencer is the headliner, Purifoy isn't far behind. Purifoy, who was 6-foot-6 earlier this year, is still growing. Projected as a wing/forward at Auburn, Purifoy can pass, dribble and shoot. Sources say Purifoy has a "high basketball IQ," and is a "tough" player on the court. Purifoy's game is the mid-range game and in, but has the ability to hit open 3's if given the opportunity. Purifoy was the state of Alabama's top player before leaving the state to play his final season in Virginia. Purifoy officially visited Auburn last weekend and the visit went extremely well. There aren't any worries inside the Auburn camp of Purifoy looking around at this time.

New Williams
Santa Monica High School, 6-foot-2, 176 pounds
No. 31 SG, No. 102 overall
Williams is a combo guard, capable of playing point or shooting guard. While Williams may be a project at point guard, the Tigers felt great about taking him because of their confidence in Marshall transfer Kareem Canty, sources indicate. Canty has to sit this season and will be a junior in 2015-16. Sources say Canty has the swagger and skills to be a very, very good SEC player, and will allow a player like Williams to come in and not be expected to carry the load at either guard position. Williams is a "high level athlete that can score, shoot and defend." Williams is coming of knee surgery and didn't play AAU basketball this summer. Sources say Williams' knee is nearly recovered and there are no worries about a lingering effect.

T.J. Dunans
Columbia State Community College, 6-foot-5, 190 pounds
No. 1 JUCO SG, No. 1 JUCO overall
Dunans averaged 22 points and eight rebounds per game last season and will be a two or three guard at Auburn, sources say. Simply put, Dunans is a "scoring guard that has the ability to score in a variety of ways."

Danjel Purifoy visited Auburn last weekend.

Auburn still may find room for two or three more in the 2015 class. With only two graduating seniors, finding room could be tough, but that's the expectation, sources indicate. At the minimum, Auburn wants to add at least one more prospect to the current class.

The focus is on finding the "best available" prospects, not necessarily a specific position to fill the class.

Baton Rouge, La. shooting guard*Jacob Evans*would be ideal, but there's still work to do in order to secure Evans, who visited Auburn on Sept. 6.

Auburn's influx of talent isn't limited to the 2015 class. The Tigers landed a very late addition to the 2014 class when former Maryland 4-star signee*Trayvon Reed*committed to Auburn on Aug. 28. Reed was the No. 9 center and No. 77 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite before signing with Maryland. Reed failed to qualify and was released from his NLI, and shortly after committed to Auburn.

Here's the catch with Reed. He will attend Elevate Prep School in Delray Beach, Fla. this fall and if Reed makes his grades, will be eligible to transfer to Auburn in December. That will be huge, if it happens.

At 7-foot-1, and sources in the Auburn program do reiterate Reed's height at 7-foot-1, he could contribute immediately if his conditioning is where it needs to be. Sources describe Reed as a "true shot blocker," and someone that can run the floor. If Reed improves and arrives in Auburn ready to play, it's not out of the question at all that Reed garners 10-15 minutes per game later this season. Reed is a "rim protector," one source said.

Looking at 2016, this is where Pearl and his staff can really start making some noise.

The state of Alabama's top player for 2016,*Josh Langford, visited Auburn last weekend and sources say the visit went "very well." Sources also indicate that with Langford, the process is destined to be long, which is good for Auburn. The Tigers are battling the likes of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and others for Langford, and will need time to prove their worth under a new regime.

Langford visited Auburn with his father and brother. The trio met the entire Auburn basketball staff and spent time with Pearl on Saturday afternoon. Sources indicate Langford's father was very impressed with Pearl's teaching methods and left with a new appreciate of Pearl and the Auburn program. Another thing to consider is Langford is good friends with Auburn football commit Kerryon Johnson. They both excel at Madison Academy, and it can't hurt Auburn's chances to have a friend and star athlete in his ear about the Tigers.

Other top targets include*Kobi Simmons, the nation's No. 4 point guard and No. 15 overall from St. Francis in Alpharetta, Ga.. Simmons received an Auburn offer shortly after Pearl arrived. Also,*Lamonte Turner, the nation's No. 21 point guard and No. 86 overall player in the 247Sports rankings. Turner, originally from Harvest, Ala., named Auburn inside his top three this spring.

One quick note on 2017 5-star forward*Austin Wiley, who visited Auburn last weekend. Wiley, from Spain Park High School in Birmingham, Ala., visited with his mother and father. Auburn fans may remember his mother, former Auburn women's basketball star Vicki Orr. Wiley also had one-on-one time with Pearl on Saturday and after previously visiting Auburn earlier this year, sources indicate Wiley's connection with Pearl and Auburn only grew stronger. With time to develop the program before Wiley graduates, Auburn's chances of landing the talented big man are high.

Yeah Pearl sux don't he? LOL

Reactions: 3 people
What exactly does any of this have to do with Tennessee Basketball? Dump this crap into the Around the NCAA forum, or just flush it completely. Bruce is not our coach. Let it go.

Other than accidentally hire Pearl, who people are currently cussing, please explain your genius to the rest of us morons. Explain step by step what Hamilton did to resurrect UT hoops.

Because Dickey was so much better at hiring coaches? People have been cussing Houston for 2 decades.

Last edited:
Martin played Pearl to a 4 point game at TBA when he coached Missouri State.

Martin also got us to a sweet sixteen with that so called boring coaching style fans complained about. Yet Tyndall spends just as much time talking about his press to zone defense as Zo did his defense. The difference is personalities. Throw Pearl in the mix and I believe when this witch hunt by the NCAA is over Tyndall will go toe to toe with the Mr Used Car Salesman. We have a better overall program and better facilities than Barkley University. CDT knows he has everything he needs to be a success here which is something Zo didn't take advantage of and Bruce didn't appreciate. Go Vols!

How about you explain how hiring Pearl was an "accident" by Mike Hamilton. Actually, don't bother, because to do so is a fool's errand.

Everyone here can see your hatred for Mike Hamilton, but your hatred blinds you to the point that you are not able give any credit to the man for anything he did at Tennessee. Your statement lacks completely for credibility.

Whether you like it or not, Tennessee basketball drastically improved on Hamilton's watch. Arguing against that fact is misguided.

Reactions: 2 people
Love Coach Pearl and always will for putting Tennessee basketball on the map.
But I'm not sure the Pearl/Auburn dynamic is going to be as successful mainly because I don't get the feeling AU fans are going to get on board in droves the way UT fans did. Without that sort of fan enthusiasm, it's going to be harder for AU to rise to the top tier of the SEC. Maybe he'll get the job done, but surely not as quickly as he did at UT.

Love Coach Pearl and always will for putting Tennessee basketball on the map.
But I'm not sure the Pearl/Auburn dynamic is going to be as successful mainly because I don't get the feeling AU fans are going to get on board in droves the way UT fans did. Without that sort of fan enthusiasm, it's going to be harder for AU to rise to the top tier of the SEC. Maybe he'll get the job done, but surely not as quickly as he did at UT.

They won't; they aren't even filling their tiny arena now with him there.

How about you explain how hiring Pearl was an "accident" by Mike Hamilton. Actually, don't bother, because to do so is a fool's errand.

Everyone here can see your hatred for Mike Hamilton, but your hatred blinds you to the point that you are not able give any credit to the man for anything he did at Tennessee. Your statement lacks completely for credibility.

Whether you like it or not, Tennessee basketball drastically improved on Hamilton's watch. Arguing against that fact is misguided.

Why don't you tell us who Hamilton wanted to hire until boosters, on the advice of Ernie, said to stay the F away and hire Bruce. Then explain to all of us why that guy would've excelled here instead of the flame out he's been.

I can't wait to hear this.

It will make the whole Bruce thing sting much less if he really sucks while at Auburn.

lol

Did you watch him coach?

The only thing that sucks is our stupid ass fanbase that knows nothing about sports and or winning.

Bruce Pearl could sell the same morons who dislike him a glass of piss and they'd drink it like koolaid.

Pearl is awesome. Won't ever root for Auburn but wish him well.

Pretty much where I'm at.

I'd like to see him do well but as a fellow SEC product, not gonna pull for Auburn to be good. If I were to "pull" for them, it would just be Pearl to get a certain win here or a certain win there. It would all be predicated on wanting Pearl to win though. I hate Auburn as a football team. I assume their bball fans are the same. I'll always like Pearl though.

My point is Pearl is not a Vol the last time I checked.

That's bull****.

I see fans around here all the time crapping all over the Titans because of Peyton.

Pearl remained a fan of the program, who the f*** here decided he's no longer is a "Vol"... "for life" while proclaiming everyone else one? Can I just decide Peyton isn't a VFL because after beating the Titans year after year(drafted into it), he decided not to come back to the state of Tennessee? Guess he realized the people here suck, right? What makes him a VFL and not Pearl? Surely not the fans who were never part of Tennessee. In other words, all of the fans who like Peyton and not Pearl, amirite?

I respect Peyton the Vol, but I could careless if he sucks ass in the NFL. Guess I'm an equal opportunity hater of the same dude's who grab on to a man's testies and follow him everywhere he goes 15 years like he's the only woman to ever please their mama.

Newsflash... Pearl was still a fan of the school after his oust and he'll always be a coach here according to his timeline. Nobody will ever know or care if your timeline says you were a fan. But yeah... Pearl is some nobody to the UT program, says every person who will never be acknowledged as even being a Tennessee fan.

Last edited:
My point is Pearl is not a Vol the last time I checked. Stokes is a VFL. However you are making a conscious choice to hold on to past accomplishments from a coach who was terminated. You're actually chastising Stokes for doing something every Vol fan does to the competition but because it's Pearl he crossed the line. What's wrong with that picture?

It's simple. I liked Bruce Pearl and UT basketball was hard to stomach before he coached. Stokes came out with a cheap shot. I don't hate Stokes but he has his opinion and I have mine.

That's bull****.

I see fans around here all the time crapping all over the Titans because of Peyton.

Pearl remained a fan of the program, who the f*** here decided he no longer is a "Vol"... "for life"? Can I just decide Peyton isn't a VFL because after beating the Titans year after year(drafted into it), he decided not to come back to the state of Tennessee? Guess he realized the people here suck, right? What makes him a VFL and not Pearl? Surely not the fans who were never part of Tennessee. In other words, all of the fans who like Peyton and not Pearl, amirite?

I respect Peyton the Vol, but I could careless if he sucks ass in the NFL. Guess I'm an equal opportunity hater of the same dude's who grab on to a man's testies and follow him everywhere he goes 15 years like he's the only woman to ever please their mama.
He's the head basketball coach of the Auburn Tigers at Auburn University. Peyton was a student athlete who graduated from UT and got a job professionally after college. Jarnell Stokes was a student at UT and got a professional job. Bruce Pearl was an employee of the University who was subsequently terminated for NCAA violations. He is now an employee of Auburn University and has no professional dealings with UT. Everything he does if for the betterment of Auburn not the place he was terminated. He is not a Vol. He blew that when he lied and cheated and tried to cover up his misdeeds. Donnie Tyndall is the new caretaker of UT until further notice.

VN Store

Back