Jarnell Stokes in 2014 mock draft

1. 5* recruits all hope to hit the NBA jackpot. Calipari gets them in each year and a new group shows up the next season. If I have a realistic chance of going to the next level, then I'll sign with a college coach who helps get me there. If I'm a PF and need skills outside of 5', then I'm going to the program where the coach is committed to developing those skills for me. Really no different than selecting a college based on the profession you want to pursue.
2. If you want more 5* tallent, then show them a history of the putting the 5* guys into the league if they play in your program.

3. Yes, Memphis or anywhere else. Harvard business school attracts many of the top students because of where they place their alumni.

I see what your saying, but I guess I view last year as a do what you got to do year, as oppose to do what you want to do. Also believe we can't criticize CCM for not developing Stokes and not compliment him for McRae's development.

In summary, the book on CCM is too short to conclude he has hurt his chancces with 4 and 5* because of his development of Stokes. I included 4* because we are discussing UT. :)

Stokes may have nice touch inside of 5 ft, but he lacks aggressiveness and jumping ability. In the NBA, he'll be lucky to get decent shots off at his height at C unless he learns to impose his will on others.

And as mentioned, he doesn't have the quickness or midrange game to play F in the NBA (effectively).

Another in a long line of tweeners at UT.

there is no one in the NBA at Stokes' height that plays center effectively. PF is the realistic option, but has to find a consistent jumper. With that, could be a David West type. Obviously, would have a tough time guarding LBJ or Melo when they play the 4, but that is the case for almost every NBA PF.

Reactions: 1 person
Stokes may have nice touch inside of 5 ft, but he lacks aggressiveness and jumping ability. In the NBA, he'll be lucky to get decent shots off at his height at C unless he learns to impose his will on others.

And as mentioned, he doesn't have the quickness or midrange game to play F in the NBA (effectively).

Another in a long line of tweeners at UT.

I think you'll be surprised. His knack for grabbing offensive rebounds and getting his shot up. He'll be fine. He can develop

If your analysis is correct, then CCM is going to have a hard time recruiting 5* post players in the future. I would think a coach has to develop the elite tallent player's NBA skill sets while their in college along with using them to fill the needs of the team.

Due to his lack of height and jumping ability, everyone and their brother knows Stokes has to have a 10-15' jump shot for success in the NBA. CCM has to make a concerted effort to showcase Stokes' ability to do this in games this season. Stokes' contribution to TN bball is huge, TN bball needs to contribute back to Stokes also. If CCM doesn't, then future players with Stokes' goals / abilities shouldn't come to TN. Its got to be a 2 way street.

CCM has to make a concerted effort to win games. If that requires Stokes to bang around the basket, then that's what needs to happen. College is still a team sport.

CCM has to make a concerted effort to win games. If that requires Stokes to bang around the basket, then that's what needs to happen. College is still a team sport.

Idealisticly I agree.

If you recruit a bunch of top 250 guys, red shirting some of them then give them a couple of years to develop before they see much playing time and you've got a chance to have a good run every 3 - 5 years. That's the philosophy many of the mid-majors appear to follow.

If you choose to recruit top 50 guys who make immediate impacts and give you a chance to be successful year after year, then you have to accomodate the individual needs of those players attempting to make the NBA.

Would be nice to just say hey do whatever the team needs and shut up, but that won't keep the top guys coming back. Like it or not, due to the exposure of AAU and such its now become the nature of the business.

I would like to see the Hawks have a chance to draft Stokes and pair him with Horford and Milsap.

VN Store

Back