Jarious Abercrombie 6-foot-6 to the offensive line 2018

Sure did. Not even going to fix it at this point. Guess it is still habit.

No harm was done. I'm glad you clarified it was just a mistake of habit instead of typing it on purpose because I bet a few of us were wondering. I like CJP's recruits so far, too! You know the past few years people would say the players at the school where CJP coached last season seemed to be bigger than the rest of the SEC. It looks like he's brought that strategy with him. It will be satisfying to see the Vols outsize most of the competition.

I'll take my chances on the 6'6 320 guy at a position of dire need tbh.

Worth taking a chance for sure, especially since it doesn’t burn a scholly. Seems like a long shot here but you never know. Perhaps he winds up being a diamond in the rough.

From RTI: ...Abercrombie, on the other hand, rings in at a “lean” 6-6 320. Unlike Kennedy, who would’ve been (at best) a short-term solution to Tennessee’s OL depth problem, Jarius provides both an immediate boost to general depth, and enough collegiate road ahead of him for OL coach Will Friend to take that massive frame and cultivate it into quality depth.

If he is a lean 320, I can't wait to beef him up 20-30+ lbs added courtesy of the S&C Program and watch him steamroll the middle of the field!

Last edited:
CJP is putting his "Heart of Dixie" High School connections to work to steal one from under Nicky's nose!

Also as a lean 320lb, I bet Tracy Rocker is trying his best to get that young man some snaps at NT.

Last edited:
From RTI: ...Abercrombie, on the other hand, rings in at a “lean” 6-6 320. Unlike Kennedy, who would’ve been (at best) a short-term solution to Tennessee’s OL depth problem, Jarius provides both an immediate boost to general depth, and enough collegiate road ahead of him for OL coach Will Friend to take that massive frame and cultivate it into quality depth.

If he is a lean 320, I can't wait to beef him up 20-30+ lbs added courtesy of the S&C Program and watch him steamroll the middle of the field!

Interesting. I may be wrong, but I think Kennedy has 2-3 years left. If so, he wouldn’t be a short term solution. I believe he redshirted his freshman year and got a Medical last year with a foot injury.

They play 2 different positions and we still need all the help we can get.. Abercrombie is a Tackle and Kennedy is a Center. It’s my understanding that we would definitely take Kennedy if granted a transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hoorah! Welcome to Rocky Top big man. We have needed more mountain and less hills on these lines. Work hard, get a good education, and play to win. Looking forward to seeing you in the Big Orange and Neyland Stadium this fall. Great news!

Reactions: 3 people
I'm reminded of the Bum Phillips quote, "A good big man beats a good little man every time." At his size he doesn't have to be great or particularly experienced to help out early. If he can just get to good, he can have his way with a lot of people on opposing teams.

Reactions: 4 people
I immediately thought of what a good friend who was the Executive Sports Editor of the Press Semitar once told me when Memphis State back in the early 80’s had the largest OL in the nation (they were a horrible team). “I don’t care if they’re as large as elephants if they can’t move left, right, or go forward then they’re NO GOOD”! I have no idea if this young man fits in that category or not.

Reactions: 1 person
I immediately thought of what a good friend who was the Executive Sports Editor of the Press Semitar once told me when Memphis State back in the early 80’s had the largest OL in the nation (they were a horrible team). “I don’t care if they’re as large as elephants if they can’t move left, right, or go forward then they’re NO GOOD”! I have no idea if this young man fits in that category or not.

Lapides?

I was about to say Brooks who started the season listed 255.

Brooks was a tight end at the time.
Tatum was still a four star recruit and likely starter this year. Talent is more important than size. One can be added, the other can't. Big doesn't equal talent.

I'm reminded of the Bum Phillips quote, "A good big man beats a good little man every time." At his size he doesn't have to be great or particularly experienced to help out early. If he can just get to good, he can have his way with a lot of people on opposing teams.

Ole Bum sure had a way with words he did.

VN Store

Back