Jalen Johnson logs serious minutes for the Vols, Barnes explains

Absolutely is. Darrington is getting less. Bowden and Turner can give a few. Bowden disappears for chunks at a time.

Right now Bowden and Schofield are playing nearly all the minutes at the 3. I don't think Johnson can play any other spot so that limits him a lot. I just can't see him playing double digit minutes unless there is foul trouble

JJ reminds me a lot of Jordan McRae. Both are around 6'7, skinny, athletic, pretty good defensively and can shoot. It took McRae until his junior year before he started to produce for UT, hopefully JJ is on the same timeline (and doesn't transfer) and becomes close to the player McRae was. Maybe, the light comes on this year for JJ and he forces Barnes to find playing time for him, in the 2nd half of this season. It would be a nice problem for this team

Right now Bowden and Schofield are playing nearly all the minutes at the 3. I don't think Johnson can play any other spot so that limits him a lot. I just can't see him playing double digit minutes unless there is foul trouble

Oh I wish I could PM you because I don't want to open up this argument in a thread again lol...BUT who are the 1 & 2 on the floor when you say Bowden gets "nearly all the minutes at 3?" Maybe I've missed something.

Oh I wish I could PM you because I don't want to open up this argument in a thread again lol...BUT who are the 1 & 2 on the floor when you say Bowden gets "nearly all the minutes at 3?" Maybe I've missed something.

In conference play Bone/Daniel/Turner combine to average 73.2mpg, I think we can all agree that those 3 guys are only playing the 1&2 positions...so that leaves 6.8mpg available at the 2 position at most...Bowden is averaging 25.6mpg in conference play so I do think it’s probably accurate to say the bulk of his minutes are coming at the 3, at least in conference play.

In conference it has looked...

Bone 26/Daniel 14
Bowden 6/Turner 23/Daniel 10
Schofield 20/Bowden 20
Williams 30/Schofield 10
Alexander 22/Fulk 11/Williams 4/Walker 3

Reactions: 1 person

I said both Schofield and Bowden are playing nearly all the minutes at the 3. Not just Bowden .

Reactions: 1 person
In conference it has looked...

Bone 26/Daniel 14
Bowden 6/Turner 23/Daniel 10
Schofield 20/Bowden 20
Williams 30/Schofield 10
Alexander 22/Fulk 11/Williams 4/Walker 3

At times this year we have seen 3 of these guys playing together for very brief stints Bone-turner-Daniel- darrington. Always seemed odd to me. Not sure we have seen it in SEC play.

I remember seeing JJ in the summer local league they have in Knoxville hosted at Catholic when he was an incoming freshman. Kid was really good but I think he needed to put some weight on and look a little lethargic. I bet Barnes wants him to toughen up and work for playing time. Hopefully his minutes expand and he starts to gain some confidence and experience.

Found it interesting that Johnson played a few minutes the first half but Darrington played a few the second. Must have done something Barnes didn't like.

Found it interesting that Johnson played a few minutes the first half but Darrington played a few the second. Must have done something Barnes didn't like.

What would you say their roles are? Or what do you think Barnes is expecting of them when he plays them? Honest question, it's just not apparent to me.

Johnson never squared to basket tonite with the ball in his hands. As soon as he caught it he was looking to get off of it. I don't know if that's him not being comfortable or by design but if that's what you re gonna get from him I'm not sure what purpose he serves for 3 mins.

Looking forward to seeing the upside. Right now he’s a 6’7 intimidator whose man doubles somebody else because he’s zero threat to score.

I think he was giving Johnson a chance in the first half, didn’t do much of anything good or bad, was searching for something in the 2nd half and gave Darrington a change imo.

I think he was giving Johnson a chance in the first half, didn’t do much of anything good or bad, was searching for something in the 2nd half and gave Darrington a change imo.
Darrington was wearing an arm brace last night. wonder if he's sustained some kind of injury that hasn't been reported.
i thought he was playing pretty well on defense, just hasn't been able to adjust to the size and quickness of major D to get his offense going. Really needed another guard to step up last night.

Darrington was wearing an arm brace last night. wonder if he's sustained some kind of injury that hasn't been reported.
i thought he was playing pretty well on defense, just hasn't been able to adjust to the size and quickness of major D to get his offense going. Really needed another guard to step up last night.

Yup, it’s why I was skeptical of him preseason...JUCO’s very rarely are impact players Year 1, takes a season to adjust to the quickness.

VN Store

Back