It's your SECOND job where you succeed

BruceInLouisville

A small note about Coach Pruitt being in his first head coaching job ...

When I was first starting out, a person with experience in my career field told me, "Your goal in your first job is to learn the job. You may be successful, or you may just be adequate. But then you take what you've learned to your second job, and if you have what it takes, you'll do well there."

It doesn't matter that Pruitt has been around football for years, or that he's been a position coach or even a coordinator. This is his first head coaching job. And he looks and sounds like someone learning on the job, as anyone should expect.

People gripe about hiring head coaches from mid-tier schools. Based on the principle I laid out above, I would much rather hire a successful head coach from a lesser school than a freshman head coach from a big school. Up-and-comers are exactly that: coming up in the profession because they have shown they can be successful.

Pruitt should have known this. Fulmer should have known this. You can ignore this principle and hope you catch lightning in a bottle ... or you can hire with this in mind. Let's hope Fulmer (who is also in his first athletic director job) has learned from this.

My $0.02.

That's exactly the reason why Tennessee doesnt need to hire someone who has never been a HC before.

Although Dooley sucked in his second HC job

It has nothing to do with the number of jobs, it is called experience. If you get a job and learn it in year 1-2 by year 3 you have experience and should be better than you were in year one. Pruitt is not better in year 3. Do we wait and see if he is better in years 4-5? or do we start over with the Next Great Coach? I think Fulmer gives him a pass on 2020 and gives him all of 2021 but will be actively looking for the next coach.

VN Store

Back