It would great if...

What about defense? Is it a possibility that Shoop and Hoke have made a major improvement and all of us are pleasantly surprised? Sure it is. Season can't get here fast enough.

"on any given football saturday...."

Beat Bama.

I'm not expecting that to happen, even though I know anything is possible, but realistically for me is to give them all they can handle and get out of there with no turnovers, no stupid mistakes, no injuries and a close loss. That being the only one heading into Atlanta.

Reactions: 1 person
What about defense? Is it a possibility that Shoop and Hoke have made a major improvement and all of us are pleasantly surprised? Sure it is. Season can't get here fast enough.

It will be hard not to do better than last season on defense. Not trying to be a douche canoe, but with the injuries, youth, and lacking the personnel to run an effective 4-3, our defense was shredded last season. With better conditioning and another year in the system, I'm expecting a much better defensive performance. Surely we won't have another rash of injuries as last year.

I have a gut feeling this will be a great season. That we'll beat GT better than people are calling it now. Hate to see winter coming but I'm ready for some good ole CFB.

I have a gut feeling this will be a great season. That we'll beat GT better than people are calling it now. Hate to see winter coming but I'm ready for some good ole CFB.

Me too hawk. That was the reason for this thread. I think beating Florida in the swamp is a realistic possibility, don't care about the chance we don't, we all know that's a possibility and it's been discussed. It'll be frickin awesome to actually do it.

i'm in the camp that it can't be worse than 500 rushing yards per game, that's for sure.

so yeah, i think they'll be better. how much...not sure. still hard for me to get past being a little thin in some spots we don't need to be.

talent is there. LB is going to be huge for this defense to not replicate last year's results.

so, wouldn't it be great if we stayed healthy up front, and had 3 solid LB's all year long.....??? yes, yes it would.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I believe John Kelly will be our Energizer Bunny and the sparkplug for team 121. I believe that with unselfish star players, younger players will be more comfortable stepping up and contributing as young leaders. I believe this will make the level of play more consistent from game to game. We will know who is showing up. Pretty vague, I know.

The offensive line will be veterans and Dormady will have a solid year. Florida is going down in the Swamp. Undefeated and top 15 for the East showdown with Georgia in Knoxville.

I have a good feeling about going to the swamp this year...the gators are always tough but I don't think their D will be as strong as the last couple of years...if they don't get their O on track, I think we win handily...

Georgia is going have a much stronger D this year but may have a really weak OL...glad it's in Knoxville...

Reactions: 2 people
i'm in the camp that it can't be worse than 500 rushing yards per game, that's for sure.

so yeah, i think they'll be better. how much...not sure. still hard for me to get past being a little in in some spots we don't need to be.

talent is there. LB is going to be huge for this defense to not replicate last year's results.

so, wouldn't it be great if we stayed healthy up front, and had 3 solid LB's all year long.....??? yes, yes it would.:thumbsup:

I think it would be great if CRG was credited for it.

Me too hawk. That was the reason for this thread. I think beating Florida in the swamp is a realistic possibility, don't care about the chance we don't, we all know that's a possibility and it's been discussed. It'll be frickin awesome to actually do it.

I feel good about our chances in the swamp this year. See a serious drainage problem coming their way. A lot of posters act like we've never won there. Never say die!!

I feel good about our chances in the swamp this year. See a serious drainage problem coming their way. A lot of posters act like we've never won there. Never say die!!

Armadillo eggs sure taste better after a win in the swamp.

I wish/hope it is a realistic possibility that we get TUttle and MAC back full speed and no season ending injuries from starting rotation. If this happens then I think we will in strong play for Sec E crown.

I have a good feeling about Shoop and this year. If I was him last year coming in, the people I would have worked with the most and the hardest to install my defensive philosophy would have been my experienced defensive leaders. I would have let them be the field generals to carry out my defensive plans. Unfortunately we lost those players early in the year to a slew of injuries.

Now Shoop has had another offseason to work with the D. I think everyone on the field will have a much better sense of what they should do this season. Shoop did not forget how to be a great D.C. when he came to UT. If the injury bug leaves us relatively unscathed this season; I think we have a really good defense, one that sets up our offense with turnovers and good field position.

I'm not sure what I would do if we beat Bama this year. At the very least I hope we get two shots at it.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch will win the national championship and the first thing he says at his after game press conference -

"Where are the negavols at now? "

They never go away and reappear in force as soon as they get a chance.

It would be great if...

-- We break the streak against the SEC West this year. Either LSU or Bama, or heck both, but just let's break that streak the way we did Florida's last fall.

-- We start a new streak against Florida, 2 and counting, and extend the UGa streak to 3. Put ourselves finally into the driver seat in the East.

-- We break the habit of losing at least one game a year we should win. No losses in 2017 to anyone not named FL, UGa, Bama, or LSU. Period. [and maybe some of those not losses, either]

-- Jauan Jennings proves last season was not a fluke by doing even MORE eye-opening things this year. Highlight reel things. Several of them, one or two every game, all season long.

-- Butch goes an entire season without a single mis-step. Solid play-calling in key situations, adroit messaging when talking with the press, staying out of his own way and being the coach we all hope he can be.

-- Bob Shoop proves he is indeed all that and a bag of chips, too. That the slam-dunk hire was indeed a slam dunk.

-- Evan Berry and Trevor Daniel and the whole gang turn our special teams into magic again, like they were in 2015.

-- KB leads the doubting contingent into acceptance of our coaching staff, top to bottom, because of results. I been looking forward to KB being excited and positive about our program practically since I arrived here, and really thought we got there last fall when we took down Florida. If it weren't for USCe and Vandy, I think he'd have been there, too. Here's hoping this is the year. KB is, for me, the canary in the coal mine. If he makes the switch, everyone reasonable will have as well.

Those are some of the biggest "it would be great if" points, for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
It would be great if all the negaVols had some crow casserole to enjoy when the Vols win the east.

Yeah cause anyone that's critical wants Tennessee to fail and would hate coming back here because we're successful😶

VN Store

Back