It appears to me

BigBadVol

The MojoMofo
that CCM never sold the Univ. of TN to any of the players or the recruits. He simply sold himself and his staff to the players. Now before anyone starts the "players commit to coaches and not universities", I have never seen such a exodus of recruits and players when a coach left. It tells me that CCM never intended to stay at UT or felt it was a good place for a student athlete. He always says the right things but his actions say something else. Very disappointed these young men believe they need CCM as their coach to be happy at UT. CCM sure didn't sell the virtues of the university. That is obvious!:rock:

Reactions: 11 people
that CCM never sold the Univ. of TN to any of the players or the recruits. He simply sold himself and his staff to the players. Now before anyone starts the "players commit to coaches and not universities", I have never seen such a exodus of recruits and players when a coach left. It tells me that CCM never intended to stay at UT or felt it was a good place for a student athlete. He always says the right things but his actions say something else. Very disappointed these young men believe they need CCM as their coach to be happy at UT. CCM sure didn't sell the virtues of the university. That is obvious!:rock:

What CURRENT players are leaving? Unsubstantiated rumors from the 3 posters on Vandy message boards don't count.

Yeah, we don't need to recruit the best possible players by any means necessary, just the players who care about being prideful that they are attending the prestigious and respected University of Tennessee. That is all that matters in the long run.

You can't take the people aspect out of recruiting. If these players and their parent felt comfortable with Martin then I can understand them wanting to take a step back and reevaluate things. Secondly if certain players leave you can't blame them. At the end of the day they need to be in a system that fits their skill set, a coach they are comfortable with, and where they feel they will have the most success.

Reactions: 1 person
Soooooo...we have a new era in Tennessee basket ball. The only thing we need to remember is to take CCM &team to the wood shed if we ever meet them on the court. CDT seems to be a great pick for us, so just enjoy until we have reason to not do that.

Yeah, we don't need to recruit the best possible players by any means necessary, just the players who care about being prideful that they are attending the prestigious and respected University of Tennessee. That is all that matters in the long run.

This post is totally irrelevant to what I said. Can you read?

Reactions: 2 people
I got news for you. 18 year olds don't commit to a school because of it's history that they don't even know about. Heck, some of them probably can't remember Buzz Peterson. It's easy for us to say "oh well they should commit to the university and wear those colors proudly." It doesn't work like that all the time. Jalen Hurd didn't even consider us until Butch came along. Recruits have to develop a great relationship with the coaches first before they can blindly commit. I don't blame recruits for stepping back when a coach leaves. The coach is a very big part of why you came in the first place.

Reactions: 7 people

I guess if your doctor moved locations, then you would automatically stay with his old office because of the nice, soft couches? Similar concept. Life is all about relationships.

Reactions: 5 people
OK, time for a little clarification instead of rumor. If you think any of our players would give up a year of eligibility to transfer to another school when they are the likely starters this coming season, bless you. This argument seems to have pretty well been thrown out the window by most in another thread. So here is something interesting to talk about instead of Vandy message boards and 4 of our 7 remaining recruits transferring to another school. Vol Nation is in two camps. One is an optimistic camp where people believe there is reason to believe our basketball program is in good hands. The other is the pessimistic camp which says as one poster said, "the Vols will finish last in the SEC" next year because they lost everybody. So the question becomes, which camp are you in and why?:)

Players commit to a coach and not the school majority of the time, not a shock. Tyndall said this himself, that players were committing to him and not USM.

3 players avg a combined 9 pts per game played this year and would leave because they miss that great coaching that lead to 2 of them being benched for poor play? Do they realize they are supposed to progress instead of regress?

Look forward to seeing if there is any truth to this. If not, come back and have some fun fellas. If you don't feel like working and don't think CDT can improve your mediocre play, then go.

Well come on down Tariq Owens, Rasham Suarez, Willie Carmichael, and looks like we'll have room for three more.

This post is totally irrelevant to what I said. Can you read?

No it isn't. You're mad because some recruits are bailing because CCM didn't "sell the virtues of the university" according to you.

So what if the kids don't care about that crap? So what if he sold more virtues and had lower caliber recruits as a result? Then what? Oh, I know, you would still be complaining.

When did we recruit the best players available

If Richardson, Hubbs, and Moore stay we can build from there. They are three likely starters. All the post guys were bench warmers.

Last edited:
When did we recruit the best players available

Best possible players and best available players are two very different things and even then I am just saying best possible in terms of CCM's recruiting abilities. You sell what you can sell, period. Get the kids here best you know how.

My point has already been made by many though, kids don't care about that virtue crap for the most part. They care about playing basketball and themselves.

No it isn't. You're mad because some recruits are bailing because CCM didn't "sell the virtues of the university" according to you.

So what if the kids don't care about that crap? So what if he sold more virtues and had lower caliber recruits as a result? Then what? Oh, I know, you would still be complaining.

Dude, I'm not mad about anything. Jeez! Do you always try and argue on the message boards? What are you talking about? A little medication may be in order.:crazy:

I'm not exactly sure what virtues CCM utilized as a recruiting tool when he was recruiting. I do believe, however, that current players and recruits took the treatment he received by the fans personally and, perhaps, that is why those players now have a bad taste in their mouth and you are seeing a mass exodus.

Think about it, when we attacked CCM, we also attacked them, right or wrong.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not exactly sure what virtues CCM utilized as a recruiting tool when he was recruiting. I do believe, however, that current players and recruits took the treatment he received by the fans personally and, perhaps, that is why those players now have a bad taste in their mouth and you are seeing a mass exodus.

Think about it, when we attacked CCM, we also attacked them, right or wrong.

You may be right but it is up to CCM to big the bigger man and say it's on him. CCM said he never listened to the criticism but apparently he did and let the players know how he felt. As to my original post, I realize you can't post anything any more without an individual or group making it something it's not. Some people just want to argue to get their opinion out. Thanks for a reasonable post.

Best possible players and best available players are two very different things and even then I am just saying best possible in terms of CCM's recruiting abilities. You sell what you can sell, period. Get the kids here best you know how.

My point has already been made by many though, kids don't care about that virtue crap for the most part. They care about playing basketball and themselves.

Its just the process of all kids when the coaches leave, look around there are many examples of the recruits asking out of the LOI. Donnie Knoxville real in the players he wants, which is better than having to deal with players that doent fit the profile.

Its just the process of all kids when the coaches leave, look around there are many examples of the recruits asking out of the LOI. Donnie Knoxville real in the players he wants, which is better than having to deal with players that doent fit the profile.

right. We have half the fans saying it is CCM's fault the players are leaving and the other half saying it is CDT's fault and I am just sitting here like "it isn't any one persons fault, this is just how things work sometimes"

Could it turn out we end up with a better recruiting class than the one we started with?

it's headed that way whether a ranking says it or not. It's about fit and contribution and we already have 2 kids that are in both categories. Hubbs, Davis and DT avg 9 pts total last year as freshmen and Punter alone may hit that number

VN Store

Back