It appears CBJ knows quite a bit more about recruiting than Doolittle.

Dooley was the shiz in recruiting, and Sal Sunseri was a badazz. Good grief, people...stop the slurpfest until after NSD. All he's done to this point is convince a few 3 stars to commit. That ain't nothing to write home about. I'm hopeful that we get some of the bigger fish to jump in the boat before then, but they haven't yet.

you are always bashing the coach. Did he date youre mom or something.

At what? Have no reason. You mad that I don't care about or buy that our default hire isn't goof to recruit well against SEC peers?

Do we know this yet? Positively or negatively? I would think reasonable minds are still out on this.

Do we know this yet? Positively or negatively? I would think reasonable minds are still out on this.

Jury's out. Thread was definitive.

The likelihood is that we'll struggle wit this staff against established title winners. The landscape changes drastically, AD our odds improve.

Jones might be the best recruiter and coach ever, but it's unlikely and his history doesn't bear that out. I hope he kills it and I'm proven dead wrong, but I damn sure dont like the odds or the way we made this hire.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm telling you guys CBJ is a recruiter. We won't see the half of it until next year but this coach is the shat in recruiting. He's got skills and juice. Jedi level.

I'm extremely excited about Butch but let's not call him an expert recruiter til he closes. None of what he does or how far he takes the recruiting process with each individual recruit matters, unless he closes. Dooley's problem for the longest time in recruiting was that these kids liked Tennessee and liked our coaches, but when it came time to commit, even though we were in it til the end, they committed somewhere else. My old sales manager told me that making friends is great, but making money is better.

Optimism - thy name is Vol. Except many have already moved beyond optimism to fanatacism without even seeing the recruiting class or the first game.

The two village idiots come up with an unproven name well down the list willing to take their $3 mill per year with an unbelievable buyout that sets he and his family up for life. Yet, those of us that disagree are supposedly negative because we see absolutely nothing to prove up his recruiting or ability to coach a top tier SEC program.

The negavols are the fans that back the village idiots up by supporting their decisions without any reason to accept them. That sets the program up for mediocrity and worse for many, many years. But then, maybe Jones will be the next Saban, or Spurrier, or even Miles, or Richt, or Sumlin, or even Muschamp. Maybe or maybe not. Which is the point.

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley was the shiz in recruiting, and Sal Sunseri was a badazz. Good grief, people...stop the slurpfest until after NSD. All he's done to this point is convince a few 3 stars to commit. That ain't nothing to write home about. I'm hopeful that we get some of the bigger fish to jump in the boat before then, but they haven't yet.

Matt Simms, is that you?

I hope he can pull in Green, Lawson, and Bell this year!

Who the heck wants Derrick Green, when you can get Errick Greene? Who wants Carl Lawson when you can get Barl Dawson? Who wants Von Bell when you can get Don Belle? I want the 1 stars, not the 5 stars! Did I mention I love Dooley and wish he were here right now? :crazy:

Last edited:
I'm a believer... when he gets players as good or better than those Dooley got.

Dooley could not coach and made some bad hiring decisions. He brought some very good players in.

Dooley was still landing top 20 classes. I admit that Dooley is not as good of a recruiter is CBJ. If Dooley was able to land top 20 classes I am excited to see what CBJ can land.

Note:I was on the Dooley train for way to long. I apologize (Mississippi St.)

There are a few key names on the teeter totter that Dooley probably would have let fall the wrong way. Very interested to see if CBJ can catch one of the big fish that Dooley couldn't.

There are a few key names on the teeter totter that Dooley probably would have let fall the wrong way. Very interested to see if CBJ can catch one of the big fish that Dooley couldn't.

They are/were recruiting different types of players. There are players CBJ won't pursue that the last staff was though you wouldn't expect them to succeed due to results.

VN Store

Back