Is UT really without talent?

Unless Trey Smith can block the entire defensive front by himself, none of the rest of that matters. Our Oline lost 3 guys who were all likely starters this year (Boulware, Jones, and Hall). Four if you count Nathan N.

Between our qb situation and our Oline, a good season will be nearly impossible

Has it been confirmed that Hall is done? Last I saw that was still speculation. Agree though, regardless of Hall's status the OL is the make or break position on the team. I think it'll be improved, but nowhere near where it needs to be long term.

Most of the time you see recruiting rankings, the potential doesn’t come to fruition until Jr and Sr years of that class even tho a lot expect them to contribute immediately. So, the leaders you look for come from the 2014 (redshirts) and 2015 classes. Both of those classes finished top 5.

UT will always out ‘talent’ 2/3 of the teams they face each year. Only teams on the schedule this year with more talent are Fla, UGA, Bama.

Tennessee has plenty of good talent. The main problem is that Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, probably have a little more. We have more talent than Florida, Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri and Arkansas. We are equal talent to South Carolina, Ole Miss.

Has it been confirmed that Hall is done? Last I saw that was still speculation. Agree though, regardless of Hall's status the OL is the make or break position on the team. I think it'll be improved, but nowhere near where it needs to be long term.

I believe it has been confirmed that he has still not had his surgery. So future status is probably still up in the air. But the longer the delay, the less likely

Something is wrong with this picture.
Last year, 2017, almost everyone threw on us, ran over us, and ran threw us.
We missed tackles, did not know how to line up, and over all were a mess.
IMHO, our talent was spotty at best. That is, when they were not injured.

It seems like there are three options for blame: coaching, scouting and the awarding of stars, and game strategy (which gets back to coaching.

The scouting and star thing - all teams are working from the same pool, so ...

The game strategy - MAC, CUSA, etc strategies don't seem to work well in the SEC, so blame that one on the previous coaching brain trust.

Coaching was an utter complete failure - everything from assembling the correct players for the scheme, the scheme, preparing players to fit the scheme, and most of all directing play on game day.

Assuming not all the players bodies have been wrecked by playing stupid games or their brains turned to mush by Butchisms, just maybe the new coaches can rebuild something with the promise that many of the players originally had.

Correct. History tells us that if an SEC coach doesn’t win 9 or more games by year 2, that he’ll never win an SEC title, which is the goal. If your head coach doesn’t win 9 games by year 2, he ain’t the right guy.

Johnny Majors and Doug Dickey say, huh?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Most of the time you see recruiting rankings, the potential doesn’t come to fruition until Jr and Sr years of that class even tho a lot expect them to contribute immediately. So, the leaders you look for come from the 2014 (redshirts) and 2015 classes. Both of those classes finished top 5.

UT will always out ‘talent’ 2/3 of the teams they face each year. Only teams on the schedule this year with more talent are Fla, UGA, Bama.

How many of those recruits are still at Tenn?

Tennessee only has 77 scholarship players for spring practice so I think you will see some walkons get playing time at some point during the 2018 season.

Tennessee only has 77 scholarship players for spring practice so I think you will see some walkons get playing time at some point during the 2018 season.

Let's hope so. It's always nice to have walkons playing at the SEC level. I don't expect it to take all 5*s for CJP&S to win. So far so good on what they've done. Don't get me wrong, a higher # on his 1st class would have been nice. But, he has to figure out how to win with what he has. I feel confident he can.

Wild card is defense. He can't force the 3-4 at the cost of ball games. He may have to adjust his scheme due to personnel.

Reactions: 2 people
You wanna take those players individually and give us which players have remotely lived up to their rating, who look like they were rated accordingly? I’ll give you Warrior, Smith, Chandler, Callaway, Bituli and Kirkland, Jr.....who else?

Tuttle...when we’ve seen em

Let's hope so. It's always nice to have walkons playing at the SEC level. I don't expect it to take all 5*s for CJP&S to win. So far so good on what they've done. Don't get me wrong, a higher # on his 1st class would have been nice. But, he has to figure out how to win with what he has. I feel confident he can.

Wild card is defense. He can't force the 3-4 at the cost of ball games. He may have to adjust his scheme due to personnel.

The same way that other coaches adjust. No one runs the 3-4 with prototypes at every spot...not even Bama. They used Payne at NT to suit his gifts. UCF turned a roster hanger on with one hand into a draftable talent. I think Phillips and Taylor’s gifts will emerge the brightest from the infusion of coaching and upgrade from the weak azz 4-2-5.

That number is an unusual for spring practice. One has those who have played their 4 years or have left for the draft who are not listed. Added to that list are those who entered early and those who will be entering this Summer. There were 8 signed in February and about 6 who signed early and were not enter early. So f 77 are at Spring practice and 14 are entering in the Summer, we may be over the 85 number. Need the to check the 77 number.

In the last few years, many "walk-ons" turned out to be Great players, and received their deserved scholarships in the NCAA-I hope we get a few this year. Just as important to their walking on, is having a coach that recognized talent-something we have lacked for the last 5 years...:hi:

We look real good as far as first teamers not much depth we need some players to get better. That will be the difference maker if the players we have get better because that never happened up Butch.

Tuttle...when we’ve seen em

Meh. He’s flashed very briefly here, primarily due to injuries, but even when healthy he’s shown to be a good, not great player. Every once in awhile you see him and wonder what might’ve been. I fear his multiple leg injuries have taken their toll and he’ll never get to his potential.....last year tends to validate that fear, although he was a bit more productive than the previous 2 seasons overall.

VN Store

Back