Is this one of the other reasons the Lady Vols are struggling in HS recruiting?

So you're thinking Florida just picked up their 2 high school All Americans because of their outstanding record the last 4 years or
what about southern California getting last year's number one and 3 McDonald's all Americans this year? Clemson just got their all American out of Tennessee after it coming down to UConn Tennessee and them. Not sure school records have as much to do with it as you may think.
I think AAU shenanigans play a part in some of these unusual choices.

Let’s be honest…if Tamari was such a great player, she’d be an all American and would’ve already gone to the WNBA. I know she’s had health problems, but she wasn’t any better before the issues. She’s tall and that’s where her game stops. She’s slow, isn’t a great defender unless she’s in a 2 ft box, and has never been able to score at will. She’ll be back again next year for her 10th year of eligibility and because her coaches don’t know how to develop players she will be the same ol player. Harper and her staff is the issue. They are not developing players and they aren’t tough.
What. The best shot blocker in Lady Vol history and you are calling her slow. SMH

I have not heard any rumors of Clemson NIL shenanigans in women’s basketball. Tell me more please. Or is this just sour grapes?
I don't think it was about NIL. Her AAU coach steered her there and it is the only visit she took. The rumor of course was for some kind of compensation for her AAU coach. Know nothing more and wish her luck there.

I don't think it was about NIL. Her AAU coach steered her there and it is the only visit she took. The rumor of course was for some kind of compensation for her AAU coach. Know nothing more and wish her luck there.
Her whole recruiting was strange as was her timeline and cancellation as to when she committed

Since Tennessee has been injury snakebit for as long as I can remember, and so many seasons over the years have been affected and diminished by bad luck, I can't even get enjoyment out of injury-affected Connecticut anymore. I mean, it's ridiculous how much terrible luck they've had, and knowing how soooo potentially different the WCBB landscape would be right now if they'd had everyone 100% healthy this season, is crazy.

I mean, I think most of us would agree that if Tennessee had had Tamari Key and Rickea Jackson healthy from the jump that our record may be significantly better. Knowing how much difference key injuries make, makes ME look at everything in a different light.

*sigh*

What. The best shot blocker in Lady Vol history and you are calling her slow. SMH
I guess she has been fortunate, and the competition has slowed down and put up easy shots to block. Rim protection is what it is, vs getting blocks flying in from the off side. No telling how many shots are effected by her style of erasing shots at the goal above the ones she actually contacts.

Since Tennessee has been injury snakebit for as long as I can remember, and so many seasons over the years have been affected and diminished by bad luck, I can't even get enjoyment out of injury-affected Connecticut anymore. I mean, it's ridiculous how much terrible luck they've had, and knowing how soooo potentially different the WCBB landscape would be right now if they'd had everyone 100% healthy this season, is crazy.

I mean, I think most of us would agree that if Tennessee had had Tamari Key and Rickea Jackson healthy from the jump that our record may be significantly better. Knowing how much difference key injuries make, makes ME look at everything in a different light.

*sigh*
You're better than me. While I have been feeling sorry for Geno and UConn, I enjoyed every second of last night. Seeing DT's smug mug and being reminded of all those early 2000s nattys of theirs, which was the period they overtook us, took me back to sports hate quickly.

As far as our injuries, no question our record would be better and would include some ranked wins. IMO RJ's was more devastating bc it was so out of the blue and went on so long. Pretty sure they knew all summer TK wouldn't be a factor early and while her rim protection can't be replaced, at least it was planned for. OTOH, they had just spent all summer building an offense around Rickea, which was of course the right thing to do. But when she was suddenly gone the team had a real punched in the gut, caught in a bad dream feel and right at the time of our roughest stretch. Their confidence was shattered.

Having them both back is huge, hopefully enough to help us survive the razor thin margin for error we have now thanks to not having them earlier.

I believe he fails the integrity test right out of the gate.

That’s some of Kellie’s problem though. She’s taking the high road straight to the bottom. I’m not saying we should hire someone with questionable morals, but we do need someone who will play the recruiting game and that isn’t always a super clean game.

Clearly what this staff tried, failed miserably. Kellie’s explanation the other day when asked about HS recruiting was pathetic. Made it sound like it was intentional we haven’t landed any talented high schoolers but we clearly spent a lot of time and money on a dozen or more the last 3-4 seasons and NONE of them came to Knoxville.

I can think of half a dozen games Williams has missed to recruit HS and again, no dice.

Boyd was a decent pickup and Nyla Brooks is so far the best commitment this staff has made and she doesn’t come until 2025.

That’s some of Kellie’s problem though. She’s taking the high road straight to the bottom. I’m not saying we should hire someone with questionable morals, but we do need someone who will play the recruiting game and that isn’t always a super clean game.

Clearly what this staff tried, failed miserably. Kellie’s explanation the other day when asked about HS recruiting was pathetic. Made it sound like it was intentional we haven’t landed any talented high schoolers but we clearly spent a lot of time and money on a dozen or more the last 3-4 seasons and NONE of them came to Knoxville.

I can think of half a dozen games Williams has missed to recruit HS and again, no dice.

Boyd was a decent pickup and Nyla Brooks is so far the best commitment this staff has made and she doesn’t come until 2025.
Settling for less integrity really would mean Pat's legacy is gone. I think we can find both.

Settling for less integrity really would mean Pat's legacy is gone. I think we can find both.

Pat’s legacy isn’t going anywhere. It’s signed, sealed and delivered. You can’t undo what Pat did. But it’s a thing of the past. Holly and Kellie already did that in. It’s obvious with our recruiting. Kellie is/was deluded enough to think Tennessee could still “select” players instead of recruiting their a** off and we see where that has gotten us. We are in no position to be choosy with quality recruits.

With a new coach I also firmly believe we need a rebrand. I’d be fine seeing the “Lady Vol” brand retired. Let that be Pat’s legacy. Let the new coach bring us into this generation. Tennessee Women’s Basketball needs a shot in the arm from somewhere and it’s not coming out of the LVFL family.

Reactions: jsc1973
Pat’s legacy isn’t going anywhere. It’s signed, sealed and delivered. You can’t undo what Pat did. But it’s a thing of the past. Holly and Kellie already did that in. It’s obvious with our recruiting. Kellie is/was deluded enough to think Tennessee could still “select” players instead of recruiting their a** off and we see where that has gotten us. We are in no position to be choosy with quality recruits.

With a new coach I also firmly believe we need a rebrand. I’d be fine seeing the “Lady Vol” brand retired. Let that be Pat’s legacy. Let the new coach bring us into this generation. Tennessee Women’s Basketball needs a shot in the arm from somewhere and it’s not coming out of the LVFL family.
I agree, and have said before, Pat's legacy is sealed and not going anywhere. But lowering the integrity bar would insult that legacy. I just don't think it's an either/or. I think there's plenty of good players, most of them, with high intergrity. Skipping the few without, no matter how good they are, isn't going to kill a program. But bringing them into the program might.

I also agree, and have said, it's time to retire "Lady". I know how painful that is, but it's also dated and with the next coach we need to move on. Folks can and will still say Lady Vols, just like that damn Food City Center will always be TBA.

I agree, and have said before, Pat's legacy is sealed and not going anywhere. But lowering the integrity bar would insult that legacy. I just don't think it's an either/or. I think there's plenty of good players, most of them, with high intergrity. Skipping the few without, no matter how good they are, isn't going to kill a program. But bringing them into the program might.

I also agree, and have said, it's time to retire "Lady". I know how painful that is, but it's also dated and with the next coach we need to move on. Folks can and will still say Lady Vols, just like that damn Food City Center will always be TBA.
Are we going to put "Knoxvegas" on the jerseys?

Been there, done that. A stain upon Dave Hart’s tenure. Had an opportunity to create effective change by replacing the head coach. Instead, pisses down his leg and goes after the low hanging fruit.

That said, he did hire the Deacon.

Reactions: glv98
You cannot be serious. She’s 6’6” and had how many points against Ole Miss? Tall is tall and that’s why she leads the blocked shots. How has her game developed since she got there? What has Harper done to make TK better?

You cannot be serious. She’s 6’6” and had how many points against Ole Miss? Tall is tall and that’s why she leads the blocked shots. How has her game developed since she got there? What has Harper done to make TK better?
She leads those blocked shots against the likes of every other lady vol who has ever played in the program. We've had plenty of players her size and some taller. The SEC coaches even put her on the All SEC 2nd team this year because of her ability to protect the paint.

VN Store

Back