Is this one of the other reasons the Lady Vols are struggling in HS recruiting?

A new tradition would be winning like the old tradition. We need a coach that demands toughness and playing with passion and confidence. Not all assistants make great coaches. Harper did okay at North Carolina state but there aren’t a juggernaut nor is that conference. And okay doesn’t cut it here in the sec. Holly had zero head coaching experience and was a good cop assistant and was a great assistant but she wasn’t a head coach and wasn’t a good bad cop. Kellie isn’t much better at it. We need somebody with a different style, man or woman I could care less this program needs a new attitude like the old Tennessee squads had. These players don’t have the competitive fire and confidence needed. We are sloppy slow and weak.

Yep. Kellie did get fired from her NC State gig (after 4 seasons), so I wouldn’t even say she did “okay.”

I will say the level of intensity they played on the 3rd quarter is how they need to learn how to play all the time. Then we can be a truly competitive team on a national level. We have to win the big games. This would be a good one to get us started in the right direction. But we have to develop consistency.

Rickea is a star, Jewel is also pretty good.

Tamari of two year ago would fall in that category but she just isn't able to give them that much (not her fault, just reality). Jasmine Powell is okay but isn't exactly great at decision making, Jillian is incredibly athletic yet hasn't show more than a couple of glimpses she can play in 1.5 seasons.

It's possible another coach could get more out of Powell and Hollingshead but they've not shown me a lot of potential to be an impact player at a top flight program.
Pat was great, but what made her great was her ability to cut thru the delusion and put you on the bench for a while if you did not play team first ball. Today if you try that half your team will transfer. Common sense or basketball IQ whichever you call it is no longer a must have. Ego and what I can do is the norm. No surprise here as that is the way of the western world. Dynasties are a thing of the past as it takes pride, unselfish behavior, playing for more than yourself to be a champion. We have lost those skills and looks as if they will never come back.

Never cared much for Gino but he has it right how do you coach a team that has no allegiance to each other the school or to the coach?

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
This is sad. The predictable results of 2 straight coaching hire malpractice. Not a soul could muster a whimper of objection when the first "feel good" hire was made. Most didn't when the 2nd "feel good" was made. Now Mr. White is gonna have to prove himself and actually hire "best on the market". Unfortunately our Blue Chip stock is not what it once was. We've lost a lot of ground and we're teetering on the brink of being just one of the pack trying to do the same.
I saw recently where we are only one of two power schools with multiple (3?) teams in the TOP 25. Basketball (men’s), baseball and football. I think they forgot to mention softball is there too. How many schools can claim that? VERY few to say the least. We need the opportunity to add women’s basketball to that list and it’s on the AD to make that happen-however he chooses to do it!!

Pat was great, but what made her great was her ability to cut thru the delusion and put you on the bench for a while if you did not play team first ball. Today if you try that half your team will transfer. Common sense or basketball IQ whichever you call it is no longer a must have. Ego and what I can do is the norm. No surprise here as that is the way of the western world. Dynasties are a thing of the past as it takes pride, unselfish behavior, playing for more than yourself to be a champion. We have lost those skills and looks as if they will never come back.

Never cared much for Gino but he has it right how do you coach a team that has no allegiance to each other the school or to the coach?
Barnes has no issues pulling anyone out of a game. Did it yesterday with Dalton and Ziggy when they just didn’t seem with it . They respect him for it and you bet they pull it together when they go back in.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
Barnes has a far deeper bench. Easier to be a tough guy.
No shame in being pulled by Barnes. Might be need to match up better on O or D. To adjust to changes the opposing coach has made, etc.
But, yes he has deeper bench, and Kellie's .......

I can understand a ride-or-die with your experienced players mentality up to a point. A coach has to use the tools available to get the players' best efforts. But when that fails, got to try something else. And the bench needs to be ready for their number to be called when that happens.

Have to credit Rickea for unselfish play. Tess had just missed an open three, but Rickea didn't hesitate to zip a pass to Tess on a subsequent possession. Tess promptly drained the three.

Barnes has no issues pulling anyone out of a game. Did it yesterday with Dalton and Ziggy when they just didn’t seem with it . They respect him for it and you bet they pull it together when they go back in.
That was a team of men and western world women sometimes lack the ability to understand reality

Don’t want that anymore, they will never fire their spouse and makes it difficult to deal with in my opinion
How do you think the spouse can be fired by the head coach considering the spouse(assistant coach) reports directly to the AD, i.e., Danny White?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
How do you think the spouse can be fired by the head coach considering the spouse(assistant coach) reports directly to the AD, i.e., Danny White?
Danny could make the call and replace him. Def put Kellie on the hotseat. Could bring in a “consultant” at that point.

Danny could make the call and replace him. Def put Kellie on the hotseat. Could bring in a “consultant” at that point.
Exactly. Don't think Kellie has the ability to fire John because he doesn't report directly to her in an administrative manner.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
There would be no need for "firing." If Kellie and Jon determined that it would be in the best interest of the team (and improve Kellie's chances at long term success as Lady Vol hc) by hiring an offensive guru, Jon could simply resign. He could then either move away from the program or could serve as an unpaid assistant or advisor in some capacity.

Reactions: brittannica
There would be no need for "firing." If Kellie and Jon determined that it would be in the best interest of the team (and improve Kellie's chances at long term success as Lady Vol hc) by hiring an offensive guru, Jon could simply resign. He could then either move away from the program or could serve as an unpaid assistant or advisor in some capacity.
Stahp!
…no need to get all reasonable… 😉

Reactions: feathersax
Or Joy could move on to make way for an offensive strategist, which I agree we badly need. Plus an elite point guard to run it. Give KJH an offensive coor and some decent NIL $ and let's see how she does.

VN Store

Back