Is there a better NFL duo from a school

For Bama, I would take Julio Jones over just about anybody on that list, except maybe DT

As far as offense, I don't think anyone from Bama can be considered over John Hannah. Julio is great, but he's not going to be considered against Jerry Rice as the best WR ever. The only OL in NFL history who has an argument alongside Hannah is Bruce Matthews.

If you are talking a player from each side of the ball, then I would put Brady and Woodson up there and Lott and Simpson/Allen. Maybe Namath and Bennett. Not many better, if any, than the White/Manning combo though.

I know Woodson gets a lot of hate here for obvious reasons, but the man was the definition of a shut down corner. You just did no throw the ball to his side of the field. Unbelievable advantage to have, much like not running the ball anywhere towards/near Reggie White

Is there a better NFL duo from a school... Than Peyton Manning and Reggie White? Does any school have anything that is comparable?

I was at the Pro Football Hall of Fame this past summer and wondered the same thing.

PiM5lTs.jpg

Statistically, I think they are probably the top NFL duo from any one school.

Peyton: 5x NFL MVP, 14 Pro Bowls, some of the most significant offensive NFL records.
Reggie: 2x NFL Def POY, 13 Pro Bowls, some of the most significant defensive NFL records.

Reactions: 5 people
As far as offense, I don't think anyone from Bama can be considered over John Hannah. Julio is great, but he's not going to be considered against Jerry Rice as the best WR ever. The only OL in NFL history who has an argument alongside Hannah is Bruce Matthews.

I think Anthony Munoz would tend to disagree :)

You're right about Julio however. Unfortunately the sign hanging outside the "Greatest Ever" WR and RB Hotel says no vacancy.

Hard to beat two guys considered "Mount Rushmore" guys for their position in Reggie and Peyton.

They are my #1 obviously. Here's one that is often overlooked:

Mississippi Valley State
Jerry Rice and Deacon Jones

Deacon attended when it was called Mississippi Vocational College, but linearly they are the same school.

Thats a #1 no-doubt all timer and top 5 defensive all timer(who coined the phrase "sack" before it was even an official stat) from a tiny school. Darn impressive

Didn’t realize Deacon went there too, that’s incredible

While those guys are good/great, none of them compare to the NFLS all time leader in passing yards Namath(60) and Starr(75), and the NFLs 2nd (by 2) all time leading pass rusher. I love Derrick Thomas probably as much as you but he would have needed over 70 more sacks in 5 years to match White.

Derrick didnt play with his hand in the dirt every down like Reggie did. He would have never came close those sack numbers. Still a HoFer with crazy numbers if he doesnt pass. Shame.

Best offensive lineman to ever play the game. Although I'd take Jackie Slater over Matthews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. IMO, they don't.

It could be argued that UT has the best offensive and defensive players to ever play.

Reggie White was the most dominant defensive player in the game the entire time he played. Ask Dallas, Patriots, NYG, Philly...

Peytons numbers speak for themselves.

Reactions: 2 people
Jim brown and Donovan McNabb
Deion Sanders and Derek Brooks
Marcus Allen and Ronnie Lott
Pete Maravich and Shaq
BART Starr and The Snake
Hershel walker and Fran tarkenton
Jeff George and Duck Butkus
Tim Brown and Rudy

Yeah that Duck Butkus used to quack me up.

Reactions: 1 person
Munoz is not in the same category as Hannah and Matthews.

I'm not arguing AGAINST Hannah or Matthews, but that statement is only true if by "category" you mean Hannah played Guard and Munoz played Tackle. Otherwise, it just doesn't hold up.

The Kamara/Barnett combo this season has been pretty significant. What about other occurrences of two athletes from the same school going to the bigs in the same year and blowing up?

Is Barnett still playing? I have checked the box score the last 2 games and didn't see him listed?

BTW, where does Witten rank all-time among TE's? 2nd?

He's right in the conversation behind Gonzalez I think, along with Mackey, Sharpe, Ditka. Best of all, Jason is an all time classy dude. Love him

Ditka doesn't get near enough love. The TE was basically a blocking position before he came along. Really transformed TEs into a multi threat.

If he wasn't such a headcase that will eventually be his own enemy, I think Gronk could be the best all time. He is basically impossible to cover

Last edited:

VN Store

Back