Is the The Swain Event Down Today?

Sorry about the website issue this morning. Go Daddy was having a server problem earlier but everything seems to be back up and running properly. Hopefully it stays that way!

Thanks to all for tuning in!

You guys do a great job. Will you be having Ainge on for guest appearances when the season starts?

Thank you for listening!

Anytime anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up!

I thought you posted here occasionally.
I gotta say that it's very classy that you would post in this thread even though you see that you aren't everybody's radio cup of tea.
Constructive criticism is good.
I'm sure you know the difference and try to improve your craft as we all do.
I'm glad you love the Vols as much as I do. :hi:

I thought you posted here occasionally.
I gotta say that it's very classy that you would post in this thread even though you see that you aren't everybody's radio cup of tea.
Constructive criticism is good.
I'm sure you know the difference and try to improve your craft as we all do.
I'm glad you love the Vols as much as I do. :hi:

It's impossible to please everyone. Criticism doesn't bother me. I work on my craft daily and am always trying to be better. I'm just glad y'all are listening!

Reactions: 3 people
Here's my take on what you do that irritates me:

--When Swain is giving a break down on football, especially reading defenses/offenses, etc. Be quiet and let him talk. He has actually been there and knows what he is talking about on actual game preparation and execution of a game plan. Most of us want to hear what goes on in football meeting rooms, locker rooms, and huddles
--Stop with so much of the Middle School humor. Professionals don't need to stoop to that level. This was never as evident as when you interviewed one of your "heroes" in the business last week. The SEC guru from an Atlanta talk show. You made several juvenile comments about Florida players and other SEC teams and he was clearly irritated and this resulted in a couple of awkward silences.
--Actually prepare for a show and give us some insight that you have gleaned from coaches, players and others associated with the program. Do your homework and don't just piggy back onto Swain's comments.
--Develop some contacts inside the program and give us more facts, actual insight and less of your opinions. It would be nice to have more interviews with experts from other areas.
--Don't try to mask your lack of contacts, lack of knowledge on a subject, etc with humor, sarcasm, etc
--Quit whining so much about what Butch says. Don't try to denigrate what he says because his facts don't meet with your unrealistic expectations for a program. This team could be 10-2 or it could be 7-5. A lot will depend on how quickly young players develop, injuries, and just flat out luck. It's a tough schedule.
--Some folks appreciate your opinions on the Falcons, the Braves, other NFL teams, etc. I'd rather hear something concrete other than you hate them and they are terrible.

Yes. I still start my morning commute every day listening to your show (when y'all are on the air) and I normally stay with it unless you get on my nerves too much (about once a week). But, you can do better consistently and there are days when you do.

No. I have never worked in radio but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I have been critical in the past and just didn't want to be a hypocrite when you got on this thread. This is just one man's opinion.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 4 people
Here's my take on what you do that irritates me:

--When Swain is giving a break down on football, especially reading defenses/offenses, etc. Be quiet and let him talk. He has actually been there and knows what he is talking about on actual game preparation and execution of a game plan. Most of us want to hear what goes on in football meeting rooms, locker rooms, and huddles
--Stop with so much of the Middle School humor. Professionals don't need to stoop to that level. This was never as evident as when you interviewed one of your "heroes" in the business last week. The SEC guru from an Atlanta talk show. You made several juvenile comments about Florida players and other SEC teams and he was clearly irritated and this resulted in a couple of awkward silences.
--Actually prepare for a show and give us some insight that you have gleaned from coaches, players and others associated with the program. Do your homework and don't just piggy back onto Swain's comments.
--Develop some contacts inside the program and give us more facts, actual insight and less of your opinions. It would be nice to have more interviews with experts from other areas.
--Don't try to mask your lack of contacts, lack of knowledge on a subject, etc with humor, sarcasm, etc
--Quit whining so much about what Butch says. Don't try to denigrate what he says because his facts don't meet with your unrealistic expectations for a program. This team could be 10-2 or it could be 7-5. A lot will depend on how quickly young players develop, injuries, and just flat out luck. It's a tough schedule.
--Some folks appreciate your opinions on the Falcons, the Braves, other NFL teams, etc. I'd rather hear something concrete other than you hate them and they are terrible.

Yes. I still start my morning commute every day listening to your show (when y'all are on the air) and I normally stay with it unless you get on my nerves too much (about once a week). But, you can do better consistently and there are days when you do.

No. I have never worked in radio but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I have been critical in the past and just didn't want to be a hypocrite when you got on this thread. This is just one man's opinion.

Go Vols.

I appreciate the feedback and am happy to address all of this.

- I let Swain flow more often that people think. It's his show and when he gets on a roll I let him run with it. When he breaks down scheme, meeting room things, etc I rarely interrupt or try to add too other than ask a question to help him further his point unless he gets stuck in thought and I feel needs a little kickstart which happens on occasion.
- The middle school humor happens when warranted and doesn't at other times. Depends on the tone of the show, what's going on, etc. etc. I personally know Chuck and that didn't bother him one bit. If you ever listen to his show in Atlanta (Chuck and Chernoff), that humor is abundant. The silences came from Swain and I not being in the same room and neither one of us not wanting to talk over the other. I was in Birmingham and he was in Knox.
- I prepare for at least two hours every night. There are plenty of things we have on our rundown daily that we do not get to because the majority of our listeners want UT football at all costs. I would love to go more regional and national with content but it doesn't go over as well as we would like. And in the summer, UT content gets a little scarce. There are only so many ways to breakdown position battles and games.
- I have contacts in the program. I give insight and I give my opinion on it. Not every word out of my mouth is my opinion. But I am not trying to be a reporter. I am giving my thoughts on what is happening. More of a commentator. I tell what I know and what I think about it. I comment on what Swain knows and says.
- I don't really care about what Butch says, and as I have stated over and over again on air he is right in what he is stating. My expectations are 8-4 or 8-5. I touch on that on air because it elicits a reaction one way or another, which is the point of radio.
- When we talk about things outside of Tennessee (Braves, Falcons, etc) I give concrete things unless we are making a joke or it isn't important to the show.

The show has a different tone during the season than it does during the season. That's how all sports radio shows are. There will be more interviews, etc throughout camp and the season.

There are always days where we feel the show went great and days we feel that it wasn't our best effort and we work to get better. It's an organic field that I personally am always growing in.

I do appreciate that you listen and I appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinion.

Reactions: 6 people
My biggest complaint is the sameness of all of the commercials and public service announcements.
I understand that you have a format and when you don't sell enuf spots, you put in psa's.
But, please for the love of General Neyland, retire Alexa.
Surely, she's met enuf divorced men at church now or scared enuf married ones that she might crash their tailgate.

Reactions: 1 person
Fair enough. I also realize that you are shooting for an audience younger than I am. Congrats putting yourself in a position to do something that you really enjoy. A lot to be said for that.

Fair enough. I also realize that you are shooting for an audience younger than I am. Congrats putting yourself in a position to do something that you really enjoy. A lot to be said for that.

Thank you very much. I've worked and continue to work very hard to do this every day but I love every second of it.

It's impossible to please everyone. Criticism doesn't bother me. I work on my craft daily and am always trying to be better. I'm just glad y'all are listening!

I just appreciate you guys (and Tony, even though I realize he's probably the most poloarizing) giving us options over the corporate station in town.

Maybe its not perfect all the time, but its miles better than the focus grouped, formulaic stuff the main station provides.

You and Swain, the RTI guys, and sometimes Tony are 98% of the sports talk I listen to, and I'm glad to have it.

Plus everybody needs to realize...the Sports Talk well is absolutely dry once we get to July. Soon enough, we'll have plenty to talk about.

Knoxville deserves a great sports station. I live near Nashville and we have one of the best in the country, I'm almost positive. There are 3 good shows during the day that last 3 hours each. Brent Hubbs comes on every week on the morning show for about half an hour. During the afternoon shows you have a couple of UT alums that usually keep you updated on all the latest UT news. 104.5 the Zone is the station. When you get a little west of Cookeville you can pick it up.

Knoxville deserves a great sports station. I live near Nashville and we have one of the best in the country, I'm almost positive. There are 3 good shows during the day that last 3 hours each. Brent Hubbs comes on every week on the morning show for about half an hour. During the afternoon shows you have a couple of UT alums that usually keep you updated on all the latest UT news. 104.5 the Zone is the station. When you get a little west of Cookeville you can pick it up.

Serious?

Not this season. He is under contract to go on with RTI. They do a great show in the afternoon!

What's the relationship between your show and rti? I kinda always pictured you guys as partners in a way. Didn't realize you were really competitors since you're in different slots. I listen to both when I can. It would be cool if swain could get a popular Vfl since you can't do ainge. Just a different pov to change it up every once in awhile. Keep doin what you do :good!:

What's the relationship between your show and rti? I kinda always pictured you guys as partners in a way. Didn't realize you were really competitors since you're in different slots. I listen to both when I can. It would be cool if swain could get a popular Vfl since you can't do ainge. Just a different pov to change it up every once in awhile. Keep doin what you do :good!:

RTI and The Swain Event aren't direct competitors because we are in different time slots. We get ya to work and they get ya home. We are friends with all of those guys.

We are going to have some other VFL's come on with us this season like we did last year.

RTI and The Swain Event aren't direct competitors because we are in different time slots. We get ya to work and they get ya home. We are friends with all of those guys.

We are going to have some other VFL's come on with us this season like we did last year.

What happened to the Inkspirations segment? Who Wants To Be A Millionaire oversaturation?

It takes a lot for a person to come on here and address the criticism with class. 99% of us don't have jobs where thousands of people can watch/listen to us and then hit the Internet to criticize how we do it. Keep up the good work. I just started back to school to get into broadcast journalism and hopefully will get the chance to do what you do one day.

Thank you for listening!

Anytime anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up!

It is a good show and Swain / Stokes complement each other. Enjoy their segments where they interview people who cover rival programs to see what people think about TN and what their teams strengths and weaknesses are.

Sometimes Swain pauses either reading or thinking and I think app went out and one of them has a squeaky chair. Minor stuff. Overall very good.

I personally just don't like the arrogance and condescension of so many of his takes. He often cuts Swain off mid sentence to give his uninformed opinion which carries no weight given that he's a self-described short, pudgy dude who never played a down of college football. So, when Swain's giving his viewpoint/insight based in large part on his own personal experiences of playing football at the major D1 level, and with his current standing as an insider to the program, I can really do without Stokes talking over him like he's a former all-American who went on to the NFL to play in multiple pro bowls.....who has the staff on speed dial. It's annoying. He needs a little humility and needs to understand his place/role on the show. He needs to run the board and chime in occasionally in a supportive role to Jayson IMO.....not constantly appear to be trying to one-up the guy in the studio for whom the radio program is named. Jmo.

Head of nail, meet hammer.

Absolutely GREAT post, KBVol. You didn't sink to the depths Stokes does in personally attacking people. Your critique is well-reasoned, and in my opinion spot on. You obviously listen to the show, as your comment is well informed.

If this is really Stokes commenting in this thread (which I doubt), he is on his best behavior. I have talked to him in the past, and attempted to give constructive criticism. All I got for my trouble was that I didn't work in radio, that he could talk all he wanted to, etc. Mr. Stokes, I don't work in radio; however, I am a listener, and we listeners are the people you should be paying attention to. No, we aren't always right, but I have a news flash for you: you aren't always right, either. And frankly, you are 100% wrong in your determination to cherry pick Butch's comments and CONSTANTLY bemoan the fact that he engages in "coach speak."

On the one hand you ask to be treated like a professional. At the same time, you aren't professional enough to know that the "coach speak" isn't meant for the media, it's meant to drum up interest in a previously moribund program. Butch will start talking more substantively about the program when there is some substance to talk about. Hopefully, that begins this year. Until then, you would do well to eat a piece of humble pie, and realize that every time our coach opens his mouth, he is NOT speaking to you. He may be speaking to recruits. He may be speaking to his team. He may be speaking to the fans. Rest assured he is not speaking to please Seth Stokes. Give your ego, and your vocal chords, a rest. We will all be better off for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Overall I like the show. Some days are better than others, just like with any radio talk show. It's not perfect, but it's the best we've got and I'm thankful those guys are on the air because it makes my work morning a LOT more tolerable and the offseason a little more bearable.

The only thing I wish they would bring back is the text box where you can see what others post. I miss that because it was a way to connect you with other listeners during the show. I had some great conversations with other fans while listening to the show under the old format. Now that's gone and you have to rely on Swain and Stokes to read them on the air to know what everyone is saying or asking, so you're more isolated from the rest of the listeners.

I do miss Eric Ainge though. Nothing against Swain and Stokes but Eric has a true gift for radio IMO. His ability to break things down and explain them to the average fan was fantastic. So while his and JayBay's grade school humor annoyed me sometimes, it was worth putting up with in order to get Eric's breakdowns. I hope Swain has Eric back on once a week during football season like he did last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thanks, I actually just discovered them recently and downloaded the app. I heard something about Ainge may be doing a segment on their show. Anyone have any info on that?

Eriks weekly segment will enhance some after the season starts but will not ever be full time in the foreseeable future he is doing too well financially in his job to go back to full time radio. He is doing some coaching too and with the family he is more into the regular gig. The afternoon RTI show is great and we (Rice Buick GMC) are excited to help get Erik back on the air regularly. We were big sponsors of his previous show and hated to see it go. Literally was the only sports radio show I listened to regularly. He can break down games, plays and practices like no one else on the radio IMO. His segments will usually be on Friday but follow Erik, RTI or Rice Buick GMC on Twitter for appearance times and days.

Not taking anything away from Swain and Seth they have a good show and I think Seth takes WAY too much criticism when he is such a key part of their show happening.

Last edited:
Overall I like the show. Some days are better than others, just like with any radio talk show. It's not perfect, but it's the best we've got and I'm thankful those guys are on the air because it makes my work morning a LOT more tolerable and the offseason a little more bearable.

The only thing I wish they would bring back is the text box where you can see what others post. I miss that because it was a way to connect you with other listeners during the show. I had some great conversations with other fans while listening to the show under the old format. Now that's gone and you have to rely on Swain and Stokes to read them on the air to know what everyone is saying or asking, so you're more isolated from the rest of the listeners.

I do miss Eric Ainge though. Nothing against Swain and Stokes but Eric has a true gift for radio IMO. His ability to break things down and explain them to the average fan was fantastic. So while his and JayBay's grade school humor annoyed me sometimes, it was worth putting up with in order to get Eric's breakdowns. I hope Swain has Eric back on once a week during football season like he did last year.

According to Seth, Ainge will not be on their show this season. He is contracted to appear on RTI.

Eriks weekly segment will enhance some after the season starts but will not ever be full time in the foreseeable future he is doing too well financially in his job to go back to full time radio. He is doing some coaching too and with the family he is more into the regular gig. The afternoon RTI show is great and we (Rice Buick GMC) are excited to help get Erik back on the air regularly. We were big sponsors of his previous show and hated to see it go. Literally was the only sports radio show I listened to regularly. He can break down games, plays and practices like no one else on the radio IMO. His segments will usually be on Friday but follow Erik, RTI or Rice Buick GMC on Twitter for appearance times and days.

Not taking anything away from Swain and Seth they have a good show and I think Seth takes WAY too much criticism when he is such a key part of their show happening.

Glad to hear Erik is doing well. I still think he could own Knoxville sports radio if he wanted it. I will definitely be listening to his segment on RTI. Thanks

VN Store

Back