Is the SEC the best conference still?

Doesn't the East give a better representation of your middle of the pack teams? If you judge a conference from top to bottom, the bowl results of the East show how hard even the daily grind is in the SEC.

Understand, but Mizzou and A&M came in and went through the "grind" of the SEC and at minimum, held their own.

Maybe.

If you're a prelaw major and you have two schools offering a scholarship, school A sends 45 kids a year to Harvard Law and School B sends 54 (with everything else being equal like class size, experience etc) which do you choose?

The one with the better professors.

The one with the better professors.

That's fair. Wouldnt be my choice.

Your observation about UF sending the most to the draft while not being the best team is valid. However we are comparing conferences. So, there will be weak programs, strong programs, anomalous programs in every conference. Without searching each conference and the drafts from each school in that conference, i suspect that other conferences have schools with good records and few draft picks and schools with poor records who send a disproportionate number.

There is no conference that features more power teams than the SEC. That's how I judge it.

Arkansas used to be a national power, right up until they entered the SEC.

Imagine the Big 10 if both Ohio State and Penn State were terrible. You see what happens in the ACC with Miami and Virginia Tech both in the toilet.

The SEC can have multiple strong programs floundering and still be a very strong league.

It is possible for 6 programs to be national championship good out of the SEC. 5 have won national titles in the last 20 years. Georgia is certainly capable. I think it's possible to do that at Texas A&M. Maybe, someone can even argue it can be done at Arkansas or South Carolina.

But, even if we stick with 7, that's half the league that's capable of winning a national title. And that's not fantasy land.

Reactions: 6 people
The SEC is still the best but the Big 10 and the Pac 10 are closing the distance.

From top to bottom the B1G is nowhere near the SEC or PAC 12. Take away OSU and MUS, and an inconsistent Wisconsin, and the B1G has little after those schools. I suspect Harbaugh will bring Michigan back, but even so...

Talented individuals do not necessarily make excellent teams. Or conferences.

You said: "In my mind, you can only determine the strength of a school by how many professionals come from that school." If you mean that literally and without exception, then you believe that 7-5 Florida was the best team in the SEC last year. Because they had 8 draftees, more even than 12-2 Alabama.

I agree, McDad, that NFL draft results are a useful indicator. But taken in isolation, they can become quite meaningless.

Talented individuals can come from really awful teams. Or conferences.

True to an extent. But you can't look at only the graduating, or declaring, class and judge the overall amount of talent of the team either. You would have to take an average over a span of years. A few people on here, for example, claimed that Mizzou was a more talented team than TN last year because they had many players drafted and TN had none. TN was young and inexperienced, but using the number of players drafted as the sole measuring tool for the talent of the team was asinine.

But I definitely agree on the Florida point. They had a lot of talent (still do) and didn't have a coach that could do much with it. We were there when Dooley came in. Jones is re-establishing the talent. Now he just has to win with it.

Top to bottom, the SEC is still the most demanding and toughest conference in college football. Pac 12 is closing the gap and the top of the Big 12 is no slouch fest. ACC and Big 10 have a long way to go.

Reactions: 1 person
I know bowl games are head to head match-ups with other conferences but I don't think they're the best measuring stick because some teams get up for bowl games while others don't....but it really is the only measuring stick we have outside of a few OOC matchups each season.

Understand, but Mizzou and A&M came in and went through the "grind" of the SEC and at minimum, held their own.

I believe that's fair. I looked back at your original statement and you just said that we are not as good as some people think we are. I can see that being accurate also, some thought we were leaps and bounds better. I think we have a slight edge over most and maybe tied with one. But that is just a guess, I am NOT an expert on the other conferences.

My take on this,

if you think back on OSU last year when they transition between 3 QB with out loosing a game

Sat, Sept 13 vs
Kent State
W
66-0
2-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 27 vs
Cincinnati
W
50-28
3-1 (0-0)

Sat, Oct 4 @
Maryland
W
52-24
4-1 (1-0)

Sat, Oct 18 vs
Rutgers
W
56-17
5-1 (2-0)

Sat, Oct 25 @
Penn State
W
31-24 2OT
6-1 (3-0)

Sat, Nov 1 vs
Illinois
W
55-14

Sat, Nov 8 @
#8 Michigan State
W
49-37
8-1 (5-0)

Sat, Nov 15 @
#25 Minnesota
W
31-24
9-1 (6-0)

Sat, Nov 22 vs
Indiana
W
42-27
10-1 (7-0)

Sat, Nov 29 vs
Michigan
W
42-28
11-1 (8-0)

Sat, Dec 6 vs
#13 Wisconsin*
W
59-0
12-1 (8-0)

Play a soft schedule and you can make the change between 3 QBs with out an issue.

My take on this,

if you think back on OSU last year when they transition between 3 QB with out loosing a game

Sat, Sept 13 vs
Kent State
W
66-0
2-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 27 vs
Cincinnati
W
50-28
3-1 (0-0)

Sat, Oct 4 @
Maryland
W
52-24
4-1 (1-0)

Sat, Oct 18 vs
Rutgers
W
56-17
5-1 (2-0)

Sat, Oct 25 @
Penn State
W
31-24 2OT
6-1 (3-0)

Sat, Nov 1 vs
Illinois
W
55-14

Sat, Nov 8 @
#8 Michigan State
W
49-37
8-1 (5-0)

Sat, Nov 15 @
#25 Minnesota
W
31-24
9-1 (6-0)

Sat, Nov 22 vs
Indiana
W
42-27
10-1 (7-0)

Sat, Nov 29 vs
Michigan
W
42-28
11-1 (8-0)

Sat, Dec 6 vs
#13 Wisconsin*
W
59-0
12-1 (8-0)

Play a soft schedule and you can make the change between 3 QBs with out an issue.

Regardless of their schedule, they took care of business against Bama and Oregon back to back. As much as I dislike Meyer, they earned that natty.

Reactions: 2 people
This is silly. By all objective measures, the SEC has been the strongest conference. Of course, that means the SEC teams are taking on the best from across the nation in bowls, and should be expected to lose many or most of those games.

The success against such odds in recent years leads some to think of the SEC incorrectly as playing at a higher level, which it's not. It's just better within the same level.

This is silly. By all objective measures, the SEC has been the strongest conference. Of course, that means the SEC teams are taking on the best from across the nation in bowls, and should be expected to lose many or most of those games.

The success against such odds in recent years leads some to think of the SEC incorrectly as playing at a higher level, which it's not. It's just better within the same level.

Your first paragraph is just wrong. Our mid level teams are not playing the Big 12, Big 10, ACC, and PAC 12 top tier teams in bowls. For instance, Tennessee didn't play Wisconsin in the Tax Slayer bowl, we played Iowa.

Your first paragraph is just wrong. Our mid level teams are not playing the Big 12, Big 10, ACC, and PAC 12 top tier teams in bowls. For instance, Tennessee didn't play Wisconsin in the Tax Slayer bowl, we played Iowa.

Well, we are playing generally above our station.

Here are the 12 SEC bowl match-ups from 2014. It shows rankings of each team within their conference, based on overall record, record within conference, head-to-head results, etc.

• Alabama (12-2) -- SEC #1 ---played--- Ohio State -- B10 #1 (EVEN)
  • Mizzou (11-3) -- SEC #2 ---played--- Minnesota -- B10 #5 (DOWN 3)
  • Georgia (10-3) -- SEC #3 ---played--- Louisville -- ACC #4 (DOWN 1)
  • Miss St (10-3) -- SEC #4 ---played--- Ga Tech -- ACC #2 (UP 2)
  • Ole Miss (9-4) -- SEC #5 ---played--- TCU -- B12 #1 (UP 4)
  • Auburn (8-5) -- SEC #6 ---played--- Wisconsin -- B10 #3 (UP 3)
  • LSU (8-5) -- SEC #7 ---played--- ND -- Ind #1 (wash ... ND is Ind, no conference)
  • A&M (8-5) -- SEC #8 ---played--- West Virginia -- B12 #5 (UP 3)
  • Florida (7-5) -- SEC #9 ---played--- East Carolina -- AAC #4 (not Power 5 conf, so wash)
  • Tennessee (7-6) -- SEC #10 ---played--- Iowa -- B10 #7 (UP 3)
  • USCe (7-6) -- SEC #11 ---played--- Miami -- ACC #9 (UP 2)
  • Arkansas (7-6) -- SEC #12 ---played--- Texas -- B12 #6 (UP 6)

Tossing out the LSU and Florida games, because LSU played non-conference ND and Florida played a team from a non-Power 5 conference, the SEC teams played, on average, a team from a fellow Power 5 conference that was ranked two positions HIGHER in their conference than our teams were in ours.

And we still went 7-5 against them (6-4 if you leave out LSU and Florida).

We give them a 2-position advantage, on average, and still go 6-4. That's a pretty strong stat.

Now, that alone doesn't mean that we're the best conference in college football today. Because there's a conference we don't play in the post-season: the PAC.

And they happen to be the the other conference whose post-season results are very nearly identical to the SEC's in 2014. Who are, effectively, tied with the SEC atop the college football world. At least for now.

Last edited:
The way in which the question is worded gives away the correct answer.

Reminds me of how the "unbiased" news media offers viewers / readers the "choice" concerning a hot button issue.

Guns In America; Is It Time To Make Our Neighborhoods Safer?

Hmmmm, I have no idea what conclusion that could possibly come to? :crazy:

Well, we are playing generally above our station.

Here are the 12 SEC bowl match-ups from 2014. It shows rankings of each team within their conference, based on overall record, record within conference, head-to-head results, etc.

• Alabama (12-2) -- SEC #1 ---played--- Ohio State -- B10 #1 (EVEN)
  • Mizzou (11-3) -- SEC #2 ---played--- Minnesota -- B10 #5 (DOWN 3)
  • Georgia (10-3) -- SEC #3 ---played--- Louisville -- ACC #4 (DOWN 1)
  • Miss St (10-3) -- SEC #4 ---played--- Ga Tech -- ACC #2 (UP 2)
  • Ole Miss (9-4) -- SEC #5 ---played--- TCU -- B12 #1 (UP 4)
  • Auburn (8-5) -- SEC #6 ---played--- Wisconsin -- B10 #3 (UP 3)
  • LSU (8-5) -- SEC #7 ---played--- ND -- Ind #1 (wash ... ND is Ind, no conference)
  • A&M (8-5) -- SEC #8 ---played--- West Virginia -- B12 #5 (UP 3)
  • Florida (7-5) -- SEC #9 ---played--- East Carolina -- AAC #4 (not Power 5 conf, so wash)
  • Tennessee (7-6) -- SEC #10 ---played--- Iowa -- B10 #7 (UP 3)
  • USCe (7-6) -- SEC #11 ---played--- Miami -- ACC #9 (UP 2)
  • Arkansas (7-6) -- SEC #12 ---played--- Texas -- B12 #6 (UP 6)

Tossing out the LSU and Florida games, because LSU played non-conference ND and Florida played a team from a non-Power 5 conference, the SEC teams played, on average, a team from a fellow Power 5 conference that was ranked two positions HIGHER in their conference than our teams were in ours.

And we still went 7-5 against them (6-4 if you leave out LSU and Florida).

We give them a 2-position advantage, on average, and still go 7-5 against them. That's a pretty strong stat.

Now, that alone doesn't mean that we're the best conference in college football today. Because there's a conference we don't play in the post-season: the PAC.

And they happen to the the other conference whose post-season results are very nearly identical to the SEC's in 2014. Who are, effectively, tied with the SEC atop the college football world. At least for now.

Thanks for the breakdown. Interesting that we lost to 2-#1s, 1-#2, and 1-#3. Looking solely at the bowl results, which we've discussed isn't the best measuring tool, would imply that the other conferences are perhaps top-heavy. For a conference to be better as a whole, they need to be better on average, top to bottom.

The SEC didn't have the best team last year, and may not this year. But that is not what makes the best conference, especially in the age of 14 team mega conferences.

true but..

mizzou had the luck of coming in when the east was at its weakest and UGA beat them like a drum last year. at their place.

their first year they were 2-6 in the sec and got lucky to beat us. theyve been destroyed in both SEC championship games by a combined 101 to 55 score. they scored 42 last year and lost by 17

A&M started strong but they seem to be going the wrong way. in the sec they are 2012 7-2 / 2013 4-4 / 2014 3-5.
the 7-2 year was manziels Heisman year.

at least that's the info I found.

true but..

mizzou had the luck of coming in when the east was at its weakest and UGA beat them like a drum last year. at their place.

their first year they were 2-6 in the sec and got lucky to beat us. theyve been destroyed in both SEC championship games by a combined 101 to 55 score. they scored 42 last year and lost by 17

A&M started strong but they seem to be going the wrong way. in the sec they are 2012 7-2 / 2013 4-4 / 2014 3-5.
the 7-2 year was manziels Heisman year.

at least that's the info I found.

Texas A&M is falling back to the level they were in the Big 12 before they joined the SEC

I hope the SEC takes a huge downturn and the Vols can start cleaning house and get back to the top.

Am I the only one who hopes that bama and uf, actually all the teams on our schedule, are undefeated when we play them? If they do lose before our heads up match, I still smile.

I want each teams best so, if we win, there are no excuses from the other side. (eg., FSU V TN)

Reactions: 2 people
It appears the media wants to place the SEC at the #2 position, however, in their own words the West practices cannibalism and the (B)East is coming on strong, yes, you could call 2014 a down year........if you are an SEC fan. However, as the old saying goes " teams come to beat us, we come to be us" whenever you're the hunted, it pretty much places you at the top of the food chain. Ok, Big 10 won the NC, and I think OSU will lose two regular season games (ND and Penn St or Wisconsin). It sounds good to say the SEC is slipping to the talking heads.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back