Is it now OK to.......

expect a minimum of 10 or 11 wins and win the SEC and not be considered an unrealistic jerk?

Now that Butch has had his third full recruiting cycle, now that we kept all the good players from leaving early for the NFL, now that we have a senior QB, now that we have an awesome running game lead by a possible heisman contender, now that we are no longer a young team?

Considering that we only leave the state of Tennessee 3 times and two of those games will be against first year head coaches?

Can 2016 be the year that all the excuse mongers finally die off? Can it finally be OK for us to expect not to get embarrassed on national tv? Can we finally agree that these things are not OK?

It's finally time for Vols fandom to rise to the level it once was at, as kings of the SEC with expectations of nothing less than total domination.

Not sure losing 4 games by a total of 17 points is being embarrassed on national tv, but otherwise I agree w/ your post.

Reactions: 1 person
I really love the excuse monger line. There is a big difference between giving the reason behind why something happened and fishing for excuses.

But yes, this is the first year someone could REASONABLY expect to make it to atlanta. REASONABLY expect UT to perform up to the standards set by Fulmer.

And this is all because this is the first year we actually have a complete team with the players and experience it takes to do it.

Yes, it is OK for a fan to set their expectations to whatever level they want.

What the OP has done is to call into question the different segments of the VN posters by inserting if the excuse “Mongers” will go away if the team wins 10+ games in 2016.

I’ll bite. IMO, the response to some of our segments of posters on VN for 2016:

To the “Big Picture Crowd”, expecting a base of 9 wins in a season going forward is well reasoned and expressed by Deer Park in this thread.

To the “Would of, Could of, Should of Crowd” every game will provide them with an excuse to express their disappointment in wins or losses. We will listen to how we didn’t win in the correct manner. The coach is an idiot for calling that play when the QB fumbled, or the coach is an idiot for having the player in the game when he blew his assignment.

To the “Emotional Crowd”, who feels the need to treat this site as a group therapy session, they will not stop. Melt downs are fun to watch, but how can you expect to learn anything from somebody who makes a bipolar person look sane?

To the “Madden and I watch a lot of Football Crowd”, they will not stop. Life experiences are downplayed, as all you need is a machine to provide you with the answers to life.

To the “Delusional ‘We’re Tennessee’ Crowd”, nothing will change. Facts don’t matter to them, as its all about their feelings. When you think the phrase “We’re Tennessee” ends all arguments, what can you say?

To the “90’s Crowd”, who feel we are entitled to be a 10-2 team every year, they seem to forget that during that decade we had an 8-4 year and several 9-3 years. Every year but one, we had heart breaking losses (Memphis, FL) which in their revised history, we should now fire the coach for having those losses during his seasons. In the 63 years since the General quit coaching, the 90’s are the bell tower for the program, when we won 82% of our games. In the other 53 years since the General quit we have won 62% of our games for an average record of 7-4. With this in mind, can someone tell me what the Tennessee standard for the football team is and why?

To the “Place a Marker in the Ground Crowd”, nothing will change. I often wonder if those who feel that a 10-2 record without an East championship is a bust, actually live their lives to the same standard. I think not, because if they did, they would not have the time to share their words of wisdom on this site.

To the “Nega Vols Crowd”, who are made up mostly from the above listed groups nothing will change.

We should also not forget the “Crowd Who Condones a Man Hitting a Woman”.

In conclusion, nothing on VN will change. Winning will temper each group, but we will continue to hear from each one when their agenda is made available just like in this thread.

What the OP has done is to call into question the different segments of the VN posters by inserting if the excuse “Mongers” will go away if the team wins 10+ games in 2016.

To the “Big Picture Crowd”, expecting a base of 9 wins in a season going forward is well reasoned and expressed by Deer Park in this thread.

To the “Would of, Could of, Should of Crowd” every game will provide them with an excuse to express their disappointment in wins or losses. We will listen to how we didn’t win in the correct manner. The coach is an idiot for calling that play when the QB fumbled, or the coach is an idiot for having the player in the game when he blew his assignment.

To the “Emotional Crowd”, who feels the need to treat this site as a group therapy session, they will not stop. Melt downs are fun to watch, but how can you expect to learn anything from somebody who makes a bipolar person look sane?

To the “Madden and I watch a lot of Football Crowd”, they will not stop. Life experiences are downplayed, as all you need is a machine to provide you with the answers to life.

To the “Delusional ‘We’re Tennessee’ Crowd”, nothing will change. Facts don’t matter to them, as its all about their feelings. When you think the phrase “We’re Tennessee” ends all arguments, what can you say?

To the “90’s Crowd”, who feel we are entitled to be a 10-2 team every year, they seem to forget that during that decade we had an 8-4 year and several 9-3 years. Every year but one, we had heart breaking losses (Memphis, FL) which in their revised history, we should now fire the coach for having those losses during his seasons. In the 63 years since the General quit coaching, the 90’s are the bell tower for the program, when we won 82% of our games. In the other 53 years since the General quit we have won 62% of our games for an average record of 7-4. With this in mind, can someone tell me what the Tennessee standard for the football team is and why?

To the “Place a Marker in the Ground Crowd”, nothing will change. I often wonder if those who feel that a 10-2 record without an East championship is a bust, actually live their lives to the same standard. I think not, because if they did, they would not have the time to share their words of wisdom on this site.

To the “Nega Vols Crowd”, who are made up mostly from the above listed groups nothing will change.

In conclusion, nothing on VN will change. Winning will temper each group, but we will continue to hear from each one when their agenda is made available just like in this thread.
Are you a member of the "high horse" crowd?

Reactions: 2 people

Brevity is the key to good communication.

I think winning the east should be the expectation. But occasionally expectations for a given season aren't meet. Especially when those expectations are extremely high.

As long as CBJ wins 8 regular season games his job is safe.

I'm part of the "Jump Higher" crowd. Any expectation anyone sets, I say "Jump Higher".

It's not about expectations. It's about results.

Jump higher Vols.

Go Vols!

We have the talent, depth and experience at every position to compete with anyone in the nation. My expectations are to beat Florida and win the east. In all honesty, to me, beating Florida is the more important of the two. If Butch can't do it this coming season then I am not sure he ever will.
I just read that Florida is moving Treon Harris to receiver. Just watch him come in and have a heisman type game against us. UCK I hate Florida

I just have to laugh sometimes.

Any UT fan who could whine about a 9-10 win season being a failure UNLESS we beat such and such team or stating unequivocally that losing to one specific team means the head coach is "not our guy" is either completely mental or never registered the valley of suck we just clawed our way out of after a decade-ling debacle. Absolutely ridiculous.

We win 11 games but lose to Florida, go to the SECC, win there--we are a PLAYOFF TEAM. It would be hard to categorize that as any kind of failure.

Maybe save the negative hyperbole until July? You know...just to be different.

😕
If we lose to Florida we won't be going to Atlanta ya big dummy. That game is a must win.

Decade long losing streaks to Florida and Alabama tend to upset some fans.

I myself am not particularly happy about it.

so winning sec championship game dont matter to you even if we lose to both those teams?..

not saying its gonna happen but just wondering..

I understand and I hate losing to the swamp rats and dumbos also.

so winning sec championship game dont matter to you even if we lose to both those teams?..

not saying its gonna happen but just wondering..

I understand and I hate losing to the swamp rats and dumbos also.

Let's see the Vols actually win the SEC championship first without beating one or both of those teams.

Historically and currently the path to that goal typically goes through one or both teams. Think at least one of those teams has been in over half of the SECCG.

I personally would be fine with losing to them if it meant an SEC title next season.

Another 7-5 or 8-4 season and choking against FL and AL again and I will not be very happy along with most Vol fans next year though.

I am not in the "beat FL and/or AL and nothing else matters crowd".

I understand why people people an added emphasis on those games though and I do as well though.

VN Store

Back