Is anyone expecting a signed LOI tomorrow?

Are you saying that this information was available in April 2014? If so, can you provide a link to verify this fact?

The first time that I became aware of any improprieties was in the Fall of 2014. Has there been any conclusive data to confirm that DT knew what his assistants had done? If the answer to this question is yes, then DT is just as culpable as Richard Nixon was about Watergate!

I have never said that anyone is clean or dirty, and will not, until such facts become a part of public record!

Like I said, many around the college game have said throughout the process they heard Tyndall was dirty and doing some shady things at USM, you can believe this or not, it's clear what your stance is.

Sit back and watch this all play out, Tennessee would not have fired him unless there was a guarantee from the NCAA major hits were coming for him, doing so would've opened them up to a lawsuit which you can be sure they would have preferred avoiding.

Tyndall is going to be hit with very severe penalties, likely at least a 1 year showcause, if not longer. At that point, what will your response be?

Like I said, many around the college game have said throughout the process they heard Tyndall was dirty and doing some shady things at USM, you can believe this or not, it's clear what your stance is.

Sit back and watch this all play out, Tennessee would not have fired him unless there was a guarantee from the NCAA major hits were coming for him, doing so would've opened them up to a lawsuit which you can be sure they would have preferred avoiding.

Tyndall is going to be hit with very severe penalties, likely at least a 1 year showcause, if not longer. At that point, what will your response be?

I was not privy to the conversation between the NCAA and Hart. Were you?

Do you know for a fact that DT had knowledge of what his assistants had done at USM before he accepted the UT job? How did you acquire this information?

For me, I do not deal in rumors and innuendo. I want hard facts. When I get them, then I will let you know what I think.

If you can answer the above questions....please do so.

I was not privy to the conversation between the NCAA and Hart. Were you?

Do you know for a fact that DT had knowledge of what his assistants had done at USM before he accepted the UT job? How did you acquire this information?

For me, I do not deal in rumors and innuendo. I want hard facts. When I get them, then I will let you know what I think.

If you can answer the above questions....please do so.

Like I said, your stance is obvious so it's really pointless. If you wanna ignore the tons of articles written about the subject that's your choice.

The penalties will be out before too long and maybe then you'll realize what a slimeball he was.

Another thread that took a nose dive into a cliff.

Yes, it would be good to get back to the LOI's for next years team. However, BTO decided that he wanted to go on a tirade about the previous coach and has yet to prove a case as to what that coach knew and when he knew it.

When a future player signs on the dotted line, if such event does occur, the new coach is the same one that UTA AD Steve Patterson agreed to give a $1.75 million payout in order to refresh a program that had fallen on hard times since the days of Kevin Durant. I do understand that UTA has never had an investigation by the NCAA during his years leading the longhorn program.

Being clean is a good thing, however, fans are not gonna be satisfied with a program that has had an overall losing record in league play over a 4 year period. Especially, at a school with such a productive past.

When the door closed on Barnes at Texas another door opened here when Hart found a way to get a "name" coach to replace a man who was under much fire from the NCAA.

It was a dead period for BB recruiting and Hart had a window of time to interview several candidates, just to get a feel if he could upgrade the program at UTK. How did he know that Barnes would be the best hire when he did not at least weigh his options?

Just for comparison, Butch Jones was not the 1st choice when it came to replacing Derek Dooley. Fans are now giving Jones breathing room to rebuild UT football and there is no discontent, so far.

The same could be true by hiring a young BB coach such as Chris Holtmann(sp) from Butler. BTW, a coach who had been involved in a game against Texas as well as Tennessee. However, the negotiations with Barnes had begun and no other coaching contacts would be made. Some would contend that it is better to have a "name" coach than a mid-major coach to lead a major institution like UT. But, a mid-major coach is what we now have in football and it seems to be going the way that has made fans happy.

With the last few years it has become frustrating to see a revolving door for head coaches in the major sports here at UT. That door may or may not have stopped spinning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, it would be good to get back to the LOI's for next years team. However, BTO decided that he wanted to go on a tirade about the previous coach and has yet to prove a case as to what that coach knew and when he knew it.

When a future player signs on the dotted line, if such event does occur, the new coach is the same one that UTA AD Steve Patterson agreed to give a $1.75 million payout in order to refresh a program that had fallen on hard times since the days of Kevin Durant. I do understand that UTA has never had an investigation by the NCAA during his years leading the longhorn program.

Being clean is a good thing, however, fans are not gonna be satisfied with a program that has had an overall losing record in league play over a 4 year period. Especially, at a school with such a productive past.

When the door closed on Barnes at Texas another door opened here when Hart found a way to get a "name" coach to replace a man who was under much fire from the NCAA.

It was a dead period for BB recruiting and Hart had a window of time to interview several candidates, just to get a feel if he could upgrade the program at UTK. How did he know that Barnes would be the best hire when he did not at least weigh his options?

Just for comparison, Butch Jones was not the 1st choice when it came to replacing Derek Dooley. Fans are now giving Jones breathing room to rebuild UT football and there is no discontent, so far.

The same could be true by hiring a young BB coach such as Chris Holtmann(sp) from Butler. BTW, a coach who had been involved in a game against Texas as well as Tennessee. However, the negotiations with Barnes had begun and no other coaching contacts would be made. Some would contend that it is better to have a "name" coach than a mid-major coach to lead a major institution like UT. But, a mid-major coach is what we now have in football and it seems to be going the way that has made fans happy.

With the last few years it has become frustrating to see a revolving door for head coaches in the major sports here at UT. That door may or may not have stopped spinning.

I think it is wrong to assume that only Barnes was considered for the HC position. There was so much speculation and rumors that we may never know who was actually contacted. Many of the coaches that our fan base coveted are actually happy at their own schools (Cronin, Mack, Miller, etc.).

Concerning recruits, I am glad we have not yet had anyone sign. To me it is a sign that we are going after more highly regarded recruits and grad transfers. CRB can recruit. He did it before Texas and imo, he will do it now. But we have to remember that he is handcuffed with only a limited number of OV remaining so he must be selective. I am glad that the days of seeing rumors of us recruiting Walter St. big men and jucos averaging 8pt and 6 boards is behind us.

I'm not arguing your points here, but Butch isn't a great example. He's won every where he's been, and he had 6 years of head coaching experience in two different conferences. His next step was a power 5 conference. When you look at the list of guys mentioned you start to see why Barnes was the choice.

Brad Underwood? Ok, I like him, but he has very little head coaching experience outside a few CC.

Will Wade? Yea, I like him too, but he's been a head coach for three years in the SoCon.

Bryce Drew? Again, same story. Very little head coaching experience, and all of it came in the Horizon League...

Travis Ford? Decent coach. Has some experience as a head coach. Moved up the ranks from mid-major to power five. He's had 5 20+ win seasons at OK ST., and he's made the NCAA tournament 6 times as a head coach, five in the last 7 years. However, he's never made it past the Round of 32...

Dane Fife? Has head coaching experience at IPFW, but never finished better than 3rd within his conference. Never had a 20+ win season, and never made the NCAA tournament as a head coach. His best attribute is that he's sat beside Izzo the last few years.

Chris Holtmann? Again, very little head coaching experience. The Butler job fell into his lap, and up to that point he had three years of head coaching experience. He could be a good one, but I want to see what he can do at Butler, etc on his own for a few years.

Archie Miller? Yea, he's the man. Home run hire, but would he come here? What type of money would it take to get him here? Seams Dayton is willing to show the love to him in a big way. He'll be a tough pull. I expect him to be another Shaka Smart. He'll wait to a great opportunity opens up and then he'll bounce on it. Until then, he'll continue to succeed at a mid-major school.

Steve Prohm? I like him. I think he's going to be a good one, but is he ready for a UT job? He has 4 years of coaching experience, and in that time he has an impressive 104-29 record. He's made the NCAA tournament once, and every team he's coached has won at least 21 games each season. I like Prohm a lot, and if it wasn't for Rick Byrd, he'd probably have a few more NCAA tournament appearances on his resume. He's one to watch going forward. Outside Miller, he's my favorite mid-major coach, and we easily can obtain him.

Rich Barnes? He's old, but he's good. 605 wins as a head coach. 6 sweet sixteen appearances. 22 NCAA tournament bids with 3 different teams. In 17 years at TX, only twice did his teams not have 20 wins or more. Home run hire, but more than likely a short term fix.

When it's all said and done, I see three guys who were solid to very solid hires, Barnes, Miller, and Prohm. Of those three, Barnes has the most experience and the best chance of success in the quickest amount of time IMO.

Best case scenario? Barnes replenishes our depth, coaches 5-6 years, and then we hire someone like Prohm, who, hopefully, by then, has had a shot at either a bigger time school, or has had continued success at a school like Murray State.

I think it is wrong to assume that only Barnes was considered for the HC position. There was so much speculation and rumors that we may never know who was actually contacted. Many of the coaches that our fan base coveted are actually happy at their own schools (Cronin, Mack, Miller, etc.).

Concerning recruits, I am glad we have not yet had anyone sign. To me it is a sign that we are going after more highly regarded recruits and grad transfers. CRB can recruit. He did it before Texas and imo, he will do it now. But we have to remember that he is handcuffed with only a limited number of OV remaining so he must be selective. I am glad that the days of seeing rumors of us recruiting Walter St. big men and jucos averaging 8pt and 6 boards is behind us.

Ace, I know that you want the best for "Our Vols", as do I. Therefore, I am gonna step back for the time being and see what ensues for future Vols.

The last thing that I want to say at this time is CRB will need some quality transfers because the competition is getting much tougher in SEC BB. With 2 Arkansas players and 3 Duke players declaring for the NBA draft, there will be immediate competition for all of these guys.

Here is the kicker. There was a a period of seven months between April and November when all of those "in the know" people did not say squat about your innuendo because they knew nothing. Being hit with severe penalties is total speculation. Tyndall would still be the coach if Barnes had not become available in my opinion. It was a trade off that couldn't be turned down in this big money sport. It may end up challenging the rule making a coach responsible for any unknown actions in his program and destroying careers on a whim. I'm sure that no coach in the world wants that liability. Whose side do you think they will be on if it goes that far?

Hey keckjm, speaking of Steve Prohm and Murray St., do you realize that both Mark Gottfried and Billy Kennedy came from the same league that Donnie Tyndall coached in before ascending to the SEC? Gottfried got canned by bama in favor of Anthony Grant and Kennedy is now at Texas A&M. Gottfried, BTW, is now at N C St.

State ended up in the big dance this year, while Kennedy took his team to the NIT. Kennedy also carried his team to a 3 OT loss against Kentucky during conference play, the closest scare the cats got b4 losing to the badgers.

If a guy can coach and recruit like these 2 did in a power 5 conference, coming from Murray St., then what's to say that Prohm can't do it as well.

By the time Barnes retires the ones you mentioned in your post will have been snatched up by other big time programs. Why should UT wait for this to happen and hire a coach who had a losing record in conference play last season, but can claim wins over the likes of N Dakota St., Alcorn St., Texas St., etc.?

Hey keckjm, speaking of Steve Prohm and Murray St., do you realize that both Mark Gottfried and Billy Kennedy came from the same league that Donnie Tyndall coached in before ascending to the SEC? Gottfried got canned by bama in favor of Anthony Grant and Kennedy is now at Texas A&M. Gottfried, BTW, is now at N C St.

State ended up in the big dance this year, while Kennedy took his team to the NIT. Kennedy also carried his team to a 3 OT loss against Kentucky during conference play, the closest scare the cats got b4 losing to the badgers.

If a guy can coach and recruit like these 2 did in a power 5 conference, coming from Murray St., then what's to say that Prohm can't do it as well.

By the time Barnes retires the ones you mentioned in your post will have been snatched up by other big time programs. Why should UT wait for this to happen and hire a coach who had a losing record in conference play last season, but can claim wins over the likes of N Dakota St., Alcorn St., Texas St., etc.?

It doesn't have to be Prohm. There will be others in years to come. One to watch is Steve Forbes at ETSU. The guy knows UT, and I think he's going to excel greatly at ETSU. There's others as well.

We need someone right now who's proven he can recruit at a big time level, and who has proven assistant coaches. Barnes fits that roll. If we strike out on a Prohm hire, we are going to find ourselves in a very bad situation. Our program is in rough shape. We are the only team in the SEC without a PG and C. Barnes ability to recruit can change this.

In the end, if you are going to take a risk on a coaching hire, then take the risk on the most proven coach available. Is Barnes a risk at age 60? Yes. Has he struggled as of late as a coach? Yes. There's risk in this hire, but not as big a risk as hiring someone who's got 3-4 years of head coaching experience.

Like I said, I like me some Prohm. I think he's going to be very good, but you can't justify hiring him over Barnes. We had to go with the most proven winner. IMO, we made the right call. Plus, what big time schools are going to offer someone like Prohm a job when the likes of Greg Marshall and Archie Miller are out for grabs IMO, I know both signed extensions but that means nothing in today's world for most schools.

I think Will Wade is a great example of this situation I'm speaking of. Everyone talked as if he was ready to be hired to a school like UT or Bama. In the end, he's going to VCU. VCU is a solid school, but recruiting there will be easier than recruiting here due to the competition we now have in the SEC. Point is, let someone like Will Wade take over a VCU for 5-6 years. Let him season a little more, and than when it's time we can throw the cash at him.

Im not against your stance of hiring someone like Prohm. He'd been my guy had Barnes or Miller not been available. I like him. I just think it's interesting to here both points of view. It's completely cool that you hold the stance you have, and at the end of the day, you may be right. Let's hope you are not right though because if you are, we are going to be in big trouble.

Last edited:
Hart, Cheek, and various department people flew to Indianapolis on the Thursday before Tyndall was fired and met with the NCAA people. They were presented details about what Tyndall was believed to have done at SM.

Obviously the presentation offered enough info to convince the UT folks that Tyndall should be terminated immediately for cause.

Hart hired Barnes because he didn't want to risk being embarrassed again. Hart knew Barnes from way back and knew he was a good coach who would steady the Vol program.

Reactions: 2 people
Hart, Cheek, and various department people flew to Indianapolis on the Thursday before Tyndall was fired and met with the NCAA people. They were presented details about what Tyndall was believed to have done at SM.
Obviously the presentation offered enough info to convince the UT folks that Tyndall should be terminated immediately for cause.
Hart hired Barnes because he didn't want to risk being embarrassed again. Hart knew Barnes from way back and knew he was a good coach who would steady the Vol program.
Don't think that was unusual unless the cow was in the barn (pardon the pun)? Hart said he got an hour and a half sleep that Thursday night before firing Tyndall on Friday morning. Just an observation on my part.

Here is the kicker. There was a a period of seven months between April and November when all of those "in the know" people did not say squat about your innuendo because they knew nothing. Being hit with severe penalties is total speculation. Tyndall would still be the coach if Barnes had not become available in my opinion. It was a trade off that couldn't be turned down in this big money sport. It may end up challenging the rule making a coach responsible for any unknown actions in his program and destroying careers on a whim. I'm sure that no coach in the world wants that liability. Whose side do you think they will be on if it goes that far?

Actually that's not true, there were many people saying things didn't look good, you just chalked them up as fabrications and people with agendas. Remember?

Tyndall is gone, there's a reason no other college has swooped in to hire him, don't you think?

Don't think that was unusual unless the cow was in the barn (pardon the pun)? Hart said he got an hour and a half sleep that Thursday night before firing Tyndall on Friday morning. Just an observation on my part.

You were wrong about Tyndall being safe, when are you going to admit that?

We are still waiting on the NCAA. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. There is a lot of impropriety on the part of the NCAA in this one. Stay tuned. It could get interesting.

We are still waiting on the NCAA. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. There is a lot of impropriety on the part of the NCAA in this one. Stay tuned. It could get interesting.
**Acts like he has inside info, but really doesn't.

:realmad:

I'm sorry, but rumblings about Tyndall and his troubles were all over the place since Hart introduced him last year. The media even questioned Hart about it very early on. If you didn't hear about at least on a monthly basis and more like a weekly basis, you live under a rock.

I wanted to see Tyndall succeed here, but that didn't happen. The man is gone and mostly so is his career. Time to move on with Barnes and forget the past.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back