Interesting perspective on Butch Jones' long-term prospects at Tennessee

I think Butch stays around another 30 years/10 titles.

Richt is about ready to bail. You could see it in his press conferences. He wants to do Missionary work and he has enough moola to take care of his humble needs.

Saban's shelf life is about 5 years. I think he wants one more title so he fairs well enough against those awful Bear comparisons.

Stick a fork in Spurrier after this season. Pinkel is about 60 too.

LSU is dumb enough to fire Miles.

This time last year Bielema and Mullen were on the hot seat and Sumlin was Da Man. Now Sumlin's seat is getting warmer.

Gus, and Hugh are safe.

Stoops is as good as it gets for UK.

FL is entering the no bowl zone. 10+ more years of futility.

Mason will make a fine DC somewhere, just not Vandy.

Majors was a very unique situation. While he did take over a bad situation from Battle, it's interesting to note that Battle won more his last 4 years than Majors did his first 4 after taking over. Strange. He wouldn't have gotten a 5th year in today's world of college football, nor would he have gotten a 5th year had he not been an all-time Tennessee great imo.

He also only had 2 10-win seasons, and had a few poor seasons after he had been there a long time.... 7-5 in his 10th year and only 5-6 in year 12 (started 0-6 in 1988).

9 win seasons back then are equal to 10 win seasons now with the added game which is typically a cupcake. (I say this for the younger posters who are used to 12 game regular seasons) Granted, for most of Fulmer's tenure it was an 11 game schedule as well. The '86 team was primed after the '85 campaign and just never got going. Don't get me started on the '88 season.

I agree about Major's getting a little extra rope being a UT legend.

9 win seasons back then are equal to 10 win seasons now with the added game which is typically a cupcake. (I say this for the younger posters who are used to 12 game regular seasons) Granted, for most of Fulmer's tenure it was an 11 game schedule as well. The '86 team was primed after the '85 campaign and just never got going. Don't get me started on the '88 season.

I agree about Major's getting a little extra rope being a UT legend.

To update then:

6 of 16 seasons with 9 or more wins
1 4 win season
3 5-wins seasons (not including his last when he was 5-3)
1 6-win season
3 7-win seasons

Pretty up and down career at Tennessee imo

It's funny that coaches can have unique cycles in their careers, but Johnny Majors sure seemed to have an up-down-up-down cycle throughout most of his time as Tennessee HC. Only his final three years, all with 9 wins, broke that persistent pattern.

Fulmer, on the other hand, seemed to be settling into an up-up-down cycle toward the end. Two up years, one down year, and repeat. Who knows if it would have continued beyond two iterations.

Final note about Majors: his general trend was upward his entire career at UT, right up (again) until those final three 9-win seasons, which may have represented his potential. Before them, each Up was a little higher than the one before, and each Down was, as well.

To update then:

6 of 16 seasons with 9 or more wins
1 4 win season
3 5-wins seasons (not including his last when he was 5-3)
1 6-win season
3 7-win seasons

Pretty up and down career at Tennessee imo

Very up and down career. He always seemed to win a "big" game though.

'79 ND
'80 Auburn (42-0 on the road)
'82-'85 Bama
Miami
The "tie" against Colorado in 1990
'91 ND

I think the '87 team is still one of the most up and down seasons.

The season opened opened with the win over Iowa with one of the greatest plays in UT history. Then you had the tie vs. Auburn. Then UT lost to Bama who had previously lost to Memphis State, then they lost to BC.

That season should have been 11-0-1 going into a bowl game.

VN Store

Back