Interesting Article on Tennessee Talent

Not in the last Presidential election.

Ohio has given the election to the last (I don't know how many) Presidents - that's why its a "key battleground state".

So its been "blue" for Obama, "red" for Bush (barely) and "blue" for Clinton. "Red" for both Bush Sr. and Reagan. "Blue" for Carter.

Michigan has been far more "blue" than red with Michigan going for Obama twice; John Kerry and Al Gore (over Bush); "blue" for Clinton. The last time Michigan went "red" was 27 years ago for Bush Sr.

You lost me when you started on your political rant. Other than that it was a good post. By the way, Ohio and Michigan are red states.

What? Michigan and Ohio are red states? No they're not. Michigan is solidly blue and Ohio is at best now a swing state. Obama won Ohio in 2008 as a full on, 100% Marxist, and Romney won Ohio in 2012.

White men can't jump.

IF that were the fact. how did NE Patriots win the superbowl. look at their starting offensive line up. 8 of the 11 were white. if they went 2 tight end and a full back. 10 of 11 were white!!!!!!!!!!
I now the percentages of better players are black across the board. but NE proved they are not always the best?

lol the North does not have higher unemployment than the South.

Unemployment Rates for States

The north has 9 states in the top 25 of smallest unemployment while the traditional South has 3: VA, TX, and NC.

Which States Are Givers and Which Are Takers? - The Atlantic

You'll also notice traditional Southern states dominate the top 10 in terms of receiving federal tax dollars vs. how much their population pays in federal taxes.

I have lived in the South my whole life and love it but yeah your line about unemployment is bunk.

Consider the amount of farm subsidies due to the agriculture in the south. Those people are working. I see that differently than someone just taking without offering anything. Also, I have a hard time believing statistics. Especially when something is to be gained by skewing the results one way or the other. As for unemployment numbers, don't go there. The numbers floated out there are very inaccurate.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't know why you chose to politicize this topic, but unemployment rates and crime rates (particularly violent crime) are higher in the South than the Midwest.

Higher taxes up north? Yes. Colder? Yes. "Less freedoms?" I'm not even sure what that means.

It is obviously, the white man's fault. Didn't you see the population percentage post above? Wait, what is going on here...

Reactions: 2 people
Romney won Ohio? Last time I checked he lost by a field goal. Let's get back to football where opinions are not based on reality.

My bad, misread the map, The Marxist won Ohio 50% to 48%....actually further proves my original point. Thanks.

What? Michigan and Ohio are red states? No they're not. Michigan is solidly blue and Ohio is at best now a swing state. Obama won Ohio in 2008 as a full on, 100% Marxist, and Romney won Ohio in 2012.

And the Fox news improper use of words begins.

Reactions: 3 people
Consider the amount of farm subsidies due to the agriculture in the south. Those people are working. I see that differently than someone just taking without offering anything. Also, I have a hard time believing statistics. Especially when something is to be gained by skewing the results one way or the other. As for unemployment numbers, don't go there. The numbers floated out there are very inaccurate.

Farm subsidies are actually higher in the combined traditional southern states than the traditional north so I'm not sure what you're referring to in this regard.

You don't believe in statistics? Numbers are numbers, how you choose to interpret them is up to you, however these are numbers from the US department of labor and give both labor participation and employment. Their methods don't change by administration so I'm not sure what you think they have to gain by citing information gathered and presented the same way for decades.

Analysts look at 3 things for the most part for unemployment: the rate, labor participation, and part time vs. full time. The north has lower unemployment, either accept it or cite actual evidence to the contrary. If all you have is anecdote that doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Many won't like the political/socioeconomic facts you've listed above, but there's plenty of merit to it.

Another key component, and I'm fearful of the 'That's Racist' Meme/GIF backlash I'm about to be hit with, is the distribution of African Americans as a % of each states' population. Look at 2010 census data, you'll find the majority of Blacks live...you guessed it, in the South. With such a huge pool of incredibly gifted athletes, its no wonder BIG has to recruit down South to survive.

According to 2010 census data, Tennessee's black population ranks 10th in the nation. Growing up in East Tennessee, I'll admit, I was a bit shocked by that fact.

By State Black % of Population (2010 Census data):

1 Mississippi 1,074,200 37.30%
2 Louisiana 1,452,396 31.98%
3 Georgia 2,950,435 30.02%
4 Maryland 1,700,298 29.44%
5 SC 1,290,684 28.48%
6 Alabama 1,251,311 26.38%
7 NC 2,048,628 21.60%
8 Delaware 191,814 20.95%
9 Virginia 1,551,399 19.91%
10 Tennessee 1,055,689 16.78%
11 Florida 2,999,862 15.91%
12 Arkansas 449,895 15.76%
13 New York 3,073,800 15.18%
14 Illinois 1,866,414 14.88%
15 NJ 1,204,826 14.46%
16 Michigan 1,400,362 14.24%
17 Ohio 1,407,681 12.04%
18 Texas 2,979,598 11.91%
19 Missouri 704,043 11.49%
20 PA 1,377,689 10.79%
21 CT 362,296 10.34%
22 Indiana 591,397 9.07%
23 Nevada 218,626 8.10%
24 Oklahoma 277,644 7.96%
25 Kentucky 337,520 7.71%

This fact adds to the importance of effectively recruiting the South. tOSU, Michigan, and all other teams from the North have little to no choice but to come South to recruit.

wow.

I'm pretty sure corn subsidies in the Midwest make up the largest percentage of farm subsidies in the US. In 2005 Nebraska and Kansas combined for $2.5 billion in farm subsidies. The top 3 southeastern states? Mississippi with $750 million, Arkansas with $500 million, and Georgia with $480 million.

State-by-State: Farm Subsidies . NOW | PBS

You have to remember the dynamics of the current day American economy. The northern states have higher taxes than us. They have higher unemployment and fewer companies that are locating there.
families are gravitating to where the jobs are, which at this time, is the south. Middle Tennessee is becoming very attractive to companies that are re locating.
There are 3 major interstates that intersect in Nashville. There is a good work force. It is a Right to Work state. The Governor will sell his own sister to convince companies to move here.
ONce families from Ohio, MIchigan, New York & Illinois, notice those are Democratic controlled states with high taxes, high crime, less freedoms & high un employment, move here their athletic kids will not return to the cold northern weather to attend college. They will remain the in the south.
So, T.O.S.U., Michigan, Penn State, etc will see their recruiting pool suffer.

Huh? You realize Ohio, Michigan, New York and Illinois all have lower unemployment rates than Tennessee, Georgia, Lousiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina, right? Just throwing that out there... but this is the football forum. :good!:

Farm subsidies are actually higher in the combined traditional southern states than the traditional north so I'm not sure what you're referring to in this regard.

You don't believe in statistics? Numbers are numbers, how you choose to interpret them is up to you, however these are numbers from the US department of labor and give both labor participation and employment. Their methods don't change by administration so I'm not sure what you think they have to gain by citing information gathered and presented the same way for decades.

Analysts look at 3 things for the most part for unemployment: the rate, labor participation, and part time vs. full time. The north has lower unemployment, either accept it or cite actual evidence to the contrary. If all you have is anecdote that doesn't cut it.

I don't believe statistics that come from the department of labor. Numbers are numbers I agree on that point. It is problematic when people manipulate them to tell the story that they want.

I'm pretty sure corn subsidies in the Midwest make up the largest percentage of farm subsidies in the US. In 2005 Nebraska and Kansas combined for $2.5 billion in farm subsidies. The top 3 southeastern states? Mississippi with $750 million, Arkansas with $500 million, and Georgia with $480 million.

State-by-State: Farm Subsidies . NOW | PBS

Not surprising at all. I was giving contrast to Northern states.

Not surprising at all. I was giving contrast to Northern states.

And I was just pointing out that most southern states' farm subsidies aren't as large as you were making them out to be. They don't really account for as big a chunk of the federal money they take as you were making it seem.

Edit: if you look at the link in my other post, you'll see that many "northern" states take just as much in farm subsidies as southern ones. Ohio got twice as much as Tennessee in 2005 and would have been 2nd or 3rd in the southeast. Washington state took about the same amount as Tennessee in 2005. Farm subsidies don't explain away the discrepancy in federal funding between "southern" and "northern" states. To suggest so is either ignorant or disingenuous.

Last edited:
I don't believe statistics that come from the department of labor. Numbers are numbers I agree on that point. It is problematic when people manipulate them to tell the story that they want.

You don't believe in statistics yet you believe in the numbers, hmm.. The statistics are correct and the department of labor is not releasing them in any other form than the data, they leave the analysis up to the analysts. They publish their methods of collection so I'm not sure what you think they are trying to fool people with when it is public information. Besides, like I said they include labor participation, part time/full time split, and wages which cover just about all the bases.

Once again what exact end are you accusing them of manipulating it for? Their methods of data collection do not change by presidential administration so I would hope you're not suggesting some political ends.

I'm tired of the "government conspiracy" line you keep giving without any sort of actual information being cited, so again please tell me what information are you basing your accusations that the department of labor is intentionally misleading the public and that the south actually has lower unemployment than the north. Even if the statistics from the department of labor were wrong what evidence are you citing then about the unemployment rate. The only thing I've seen so far is anecdotal farm subsidies which wasn't even correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
You have to remember the dynamics of the current day American economy. The northern states have higher taxes than us. They have higher unemployment and fewer companies that are locating there.
families are gravitating to where the jobs are, which at this time, is the south. Middle Tennessee is becoming very attractive to companies that are re locating.
There are 3 major interstates that intersect in Nashville. There is a good work force. It is a Right to Work state. The Governor will sell his own sister to convince companies to move here.
ONce families from Ohio, MIchigan, New York & Illinois, notice those are Democratic controlled states with high taxes, high crime, less freedoms & high un employment, move here their athletic kids will not return to the cold northern weather to attend college. They will remain the in the south.
So, T.O.S.U., Michigan, Penn State, etc will see their recruiting pool suffer.

Not to put a pin on your political rant, but facts just don't back up any of your statements. The top twenty wealthiest states are all dark blue with the exception of Alaska.

Unemplyment is a bit of a mixed bag. For example California a dark blue state is right between Georgia and Mississippi in the most recent Unemployment numbers. Tennessee has the tenth highest unemployment rate ;higher now than Michigan or Ohio. So the facts don't seem to back up your opinion.

I vote to keep the politics out of our discussions of football.:hi:

Reactions: 4 people
Many won't like the political/socioeconomic facts you've listed above, but there's plenty of merit to it.

Another key component, and I'm fearful of the 'That's Racist' Meme/GIF backlash I'm about to be hit with, is the distribution of African Americans as a % of each states' population. Look at 2010 census data, you'll find the majority of Blacks live...you guessed it, in the South. With such a huge pool of incredibly gifted athletes, its no wonder BIG has to recruit down South to survive.

According to 2010 census data, Tennessee's black population ranks 10th in the nation. Growing up in East Tennessee, I'll admit, I was a bit shocked by that fact.

By State Black % of Population (2010 Census data):

1 Mississippi 1,074,200 37.30%
2 Louisiana 1,452,396 31.98%
3 Georgia 2,950,435 30.02%
4 Maryland 1,700,298 29.44%
5 SC 1,290,684 28.48%
6 Alabama 1,251,311 26.38%
7 NC 2,048,628 21.60%
8 Delaware 191,814 20.95%
9 Virginia 1,551,399 19.91%
10 Tennessee 1,055,689 16.78%
11 Florida 2,999,862 15.91%
12 Arkansas 449,895 15.76%
13 New York 3,073,800 15.18%
14 Illinois 1,866,414 14.88%
15 NJ 1,204,826 14.46%
16 Michigan 1,400,362 14.24%
17 Ohio 1,407,681 12.04%
18 Texas 2,979,598 11.91%
19 Missouri 704,043 11.49%
20 PA 1,377,689 10.79%
21 CT 362,296 10.34%
22 Indiana 591,397 9.07%
23 Nevada 218,626 8.10%
24 Oklahoma 277,644 7.96%
25 Kentucky 337,520 7.71%

This fact adds to the importance of effectively recruiting the South. tOSU, Michigan, and all other teams from the North have little to no choice but to come South to recruit.

How many live near Memphis? Take that out and Tennessee would be much lower I would assume. The Memphis area has tons of Ole Miss fans correct?

You don't believe in statistics yet you believe in the numbers, hmm.. The statistics are correct and the department of labor is not releasing them in any other form than the data, they leave the analysis up to the analysts. They publish their methods of collection so I'm not sure what you think they are trying to fool people with when it is public information. Besides, like I said they include labor participation, part time/full time split, and wages which cover just about all the bases.

Once again what exact end are you accusing them of manipulating it for? Their methods of data collection do not change by presidential administration so I would hope you're not suggesting some political ends.

I'm tired of the "government conspiracy" line you keep giving without any sort of actual information being cited, so again please tell me what information are you basing your accusations that the department of labor is intentionally misleading the public and that the south actually has lower unemployment than the north. Even if the statistics from the department of labor were wrong what evidence are you citing then about the unemployment rate. The only thing I've seen so far is anecdotal farm subsidies which wasn't even correct.

I am sorry that you trust everything the government leads you to believe. You believe the unemployment rates that have been put out there are accurate? So many people have stopped trying to find work or are underemployed. The rate is much higher than advertised. I am sure you also believe you can keep your doctor as well...

Don't know why you chose to politicize this topic, but unemployment rates and crime rates (particularly violent crime) are higher in the South than the Midwest.

Higher taxes up north? Yes. Colder? Yes. "Less freedoms?" I'm not even sure what that means.

Tennessee is often listed as one of, if not the most violent state but removing Shelby County from the figures dramatically changes that. When I read Forbes reports about "worst places to retire" and they list Tennessee as one due to crime rate, I immediately disregard their other articles. Nashville has one of the lowest violent crimes rates it's had in yrs if you eliminate Gillette Hall!

VN Store

Back