Inside Josh Heupel’s Deep Choice System

Basically we run different variations of the same play, which is why we can go so fast. It sounds like it's three parts: formation, side, and wr reads.

In terms of formation we want to get set fast and exploit mismatches like stacking the primary receiver behind another receiver or motioning a receiver into a better position.

But apparently we pick one side where the receivers will go live and on the other side the receivers are dead allowing them to conserve their energy for when their number is called

Then the wide receiver basically has 3 reads and decides what route to run based on how he's being covered:
-if the cornerback is even with me and I've got outside leverage I'll go deep on a go
-if the cornerback is playing off of me in front, I'll run a stop or comeback route
-if the cornerback is on my outside shoulder I'll run a post pattern.

It's actually not that complicated it's we run it so fast and efficiently that we can beat teams with it. It's actually one of those "so simple it's genius" kinds of things. But quarterback and receiver chemistry is VERY important

Basically we run different variations of the same play, which is why we can go so fast. It sounds like it's three parts: formation, side, and wr reads.

In terms of formation we want to get set fast and exploit mismatches like stacking the primary receiver behind another receiver or motioning a receiver into a better position.

But apparently we pick one side where the receivers will go live and on the other side the receivers are dead allowing them to conserve their energy for when their number is called

Then the wide receiver basically has 3 reads and decides what route to run based on how he's being covered:
-if the cornerback is even with me and I've got outside leverage I'll go deep on a go
-if the cornerback is playing off of me in front, I'll run a stop or comeback route

It's actually not that complicated it's we run it so fast and efficiently that we can beat teams with it.
If he’s even I’m leaving.
I think the impressive thing to me is how few turnovers and miscommunications we have had with these deep choice patterns. All those reps in the offseason paying off

Reactions: volunator
So... How much of it is Hooker and how much of it is coaching/scheme? It'll be fascinating to see how Nico/Milton do in the future.

Reactions: DD4ME
If he’s even I’m leaving.
I think the impressive thing to me is how few turnovers and miscommunications we have had with these deep choice patterns. All those reps in the offseason paying off
Yeah QB/WR chemistry is key. It shows if the QB and WR have been working closely together.

It's also impressive because the QB has to also be able to read after the ball is snapped what his receiver's gonna do before right before he throws the ball. It can be kind of stressful not knowing exactly what your receiver is gonna do going into the play but I'm glad hendon handles it well.

So... How much of it is Hooker and how much of it is coaching/scheme? It'll be fascinating to see how Nico/Milton do in the future.
It's like racing.

Having the fastest car is super important. Our offense, with Heupel & Golesh calling the shots, is like having that super fast car.

But having a driver who can make the most of it, also super important. That's Hooker.

In the movie, Ford v Ferrari, Matt Damon played genius car maker Carroll Shelby. Christian Bale played driver Ken Miles.

If you saw that movie, can you imagine Ford beating Ferrari in 1966 without BOTH those guys working as a team?

That's how it can be both 100% Heupel and 100% Hooker.

We'll hopefully have Heupel for the next 30+ years. It's on him to keep finding and developing lads with talent like Hooker.

Go Vols!

1667489367016.jpeg

In some ways it's harder for the QB because going into the play you don't know exactly what your receiver's going to do.

You also better be able to react quickly because you'll have to decide as soon as you see what your receivers going to run while the play is happening. You're next question might be well how is that different that going through progressions like a tradition pro style offense, the difference is that the pro-style quarterback basically has to know what the entire defense is doing and make a judgement call on which player to throw to, ours makes it simpler by letting the QB focus on one side and one receiver (although you still have to do things like looking off the receiver and such).

You also better have GREAT chemistry with your receiver to have a feel for their tendencies and what they like to do

It's actually not that complicated it's we run it so fast and efficiently that we can beat teams with it. It's actually one of those "so simple it's genius" kinds of things. But quarterback and receiver chemistry is VERY important
To add to this, Jarrett Guarantano would've THRIVED on this offense. His problem was that he was too heady and Jim Chaney's pro style offense was super complicated and requires you to process a lot of information and make a lot of decisions in one play. Not everyone is Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

So to help people understand this, think of a traditional pro style as having to process a lot of information and analytical, and our offense as playing fast and decisive. It's not just about playing fast too, it's have a mentality of being fast and decisive.

Was just talking with someone about the Athletic yesterday and today have read 2 great articles from them. Started a free trial today and I am already liking what I see.

Reactions: zjcvols
This caught my eye, “They will also start in the stack and quickly motion out of it. This, again, forces a defense to quickly communicate any adjustment at the line of scrimmage before the Vols snap the ball in their fastball tempo.”

We know they want their stadium loud when we have the ball, even though we silent count, but isn’t that noise going to make it more difficult for the mutts defense to call quick adjustments accurately?

Between that possible issue and not package subbing due to our tempo I expect to see us take full advantage of some mutt mistakes on defense.

VN Store

Back