Inflation in your World

Egg's aint that bad, least here in Georgia as far as I've seen. Things I have noticed skyrocket:
. Beef
. Gas (obviously)
. Soda - $9 for a 12er of coke
. coffee
. chicken is creeping up
. ammunition
. truck prices

Oddly enough gun and alcohol prices seem to be impervious to inflation..
I will never understand why people will spend that much on soda. I'd rather spend it on beer

We've backed off our eating out, it's just too expensive, service is spotty at most places and the wait times are too long. I understand the why but still it irks me when you go into a restaurant and have a 30 minute wait when there are a dozen or more empty tables.

Another article
https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/13/economy/food-prices-cpi-inflation/index.html
“The wage pressures are there,” said Dana Peterson, chief economist at the Conference Board, in an interview. The biggest payroll gains are in sectors such as health care, government and leisure and hospitality, she noted. “Leisure and hospitality includes restaurants, and so there’s still a lot of churn, and those companies are having to raise wages to attract and retain labor.”
“We believe many of these increases reflect the lagged effect of strong wage growth in 2023, and we believe wage growth is now slowing,” Goldman Sachs economists said in a note on Tuesday.

Still increasing in the future but at a slower pace?

Inflation: Cost of eating out continues to rise, a potential hit to restaurant chains
We eat out less than we used to. We make more dinners at home, eat leftovers, and are more conscientious about what we buy at the grocery store. Checking and finding good BOGO’s is helpful.
We started cooking more meals at home during COVID and it became habit.
Not to dump water on other people's pleasure, Shirley and no longer eat out. We, instead, raid recipes from Youtube, and make eat-in dishes for our selves and visiting family members. Why, read and seen too many news broadcasts of food service people thinking doing nasty things to people's food are funny pranks. Not knowing which places to trust, we just stopped. Hated doing that because there are a number of places we like.

It is crazy. I found a good pizza place by my house that does a pretty generous 2-slice + 20 oz beer deal for $8. No idea how they're making ends meet because it's quality ingredients and craft beer. We take the kids once a week. We spend less than we do at McDonald's.

It is crazy. I found a good pizza place by my house that does a pretty generous 2-slice + 20 oz beer deal for $8. No idea how they're making ends meet because it's quality ingredients and craft beer. We take the kids once a week. We spend less than we do at McDonald's.

That's a good deal as long as the kids don't have more than 1 beer.

We've scaled back as well.. Preferring to make healthier meals at home. It's paying dividends for the missies and me 😏.
On another note we just picked up a few things at Food City. I noticed a can of progresso soup was $2.99.🤣. A can of cream of onion Campbell's $1.99...WTH man.
I'm happy my wife and myself are great cooks. 👍

It's gotten ridiculous. Even fast food prices have gotten way out of hand.
Fast food as an industry may be in trouble. I know if I can pay $15 for a decent sit down meal vs $12+ for fast food then I’ll take the sit down. I don’t think fast food will go away but I do think some big chains will fold up.

We've scaled back as well.. Preferring to make healthier meals at home. It's paying dividends for the missies and me 😏.
On another note we just picked up a few things at Food City. I noticed a can of progresso soup was $2.99.🤣. A can of cream of onion Campbell's $1.99...WTH man.
I'm happy my wife and myself are great cooks. 👍
yeah the difference between groceries and eating has closed some at least for me.

used to be 50-75 bucks would feed me for a week with plenty of leftovers. now 100+ doesn't cover a full week with no leftovers, and I probably have to supplement with eating out at least twice.

the joke about "I must be getting stronger because now I can carry 100 dollars of groceries with a single hand" is getting too real.

Minimum wage increases will do that
😉 Material costs have gone down. Labor costs are much less significant as a cost element of the total cost. Because most employees are part time, they're not getting any sort of a full benefit package, so most employees are a smidgen of overhead cost. Supply chains to them have been slow in cost reduction. Transportation costs increased with fuel prices, but the effect of a trend of lower costs hasn't really had an effect on prices at the pump. There has always been a lag between lower/higher costs and the consumer price. Both inflation and recession lag behind policy positions

😉 Material costs have gone down. Labor costs are much less significant as a cost element of the total cost. Because most employees are part time, they're not getting any sort of a full benefit package, so most employees are a smidgen of overhead cost. Supply chains to them have been slow in cost reduction. Transportation costs increased with fuel prices, but the effect of a trend of lower costs hasn't really had an effect on prices at the pump. There has always been a lag between lower/higher costs and the consumer price. Both inflation and recession lag behind policy positions
"Labor costs are a much less significant as a cost element." Elaborate. Bc my initial reaction is that you pulled that right out your bleep hole. Or read some dumb study.

Transportation costs didn’t just increase due to fuel costs. Their labor costs are way up and so are the transportation companies’ insurance costs, costs of maintenance and more. Just because they don’t have to pay benefits for their part-time employees doesn’t mean labor costs are low. You’re forgetting those part-time employees turn over at a much higher rate, which drives up costs. I bet labor cost are the number 1 cost for a fast food business.

VN Store

Back