In Praise of Josh Dobbs, Passing Quarterback

Glad Dobbs was here. Difference maker in a few games at least. Yes he makes mistakes, he has flaws like everyone else. The main reason I am so glad he was in Orange is his character and heart. You could not ask for a better representative of UT football on or off of the field.

That said, OP should bribe Freak to delete his "other" Dobbs thread.

"A thread....which will live...in infamy."

Reactions: 1 person
We're going to miss Dobbs more than most people know.

His parents molded him into a smart, hard working special kid.

buTch and his staff molded him into a good footVol player and a even greater man.

Dobbs time with Peyton Manning also helped mold him into a very special young man.

On the field he's a very good footVol player but off the field he's a very special and great young man we can all be very proud of.

I'm really going to miss him, I wish him all the best for the rest of his life and I expect great things from him for the rest of his life.

I hope we keep hm seriously involved in UT football forever.

God bless you and your family Josh!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
There are only three possible explanations for D4H:

• He or she is a little kid and JD is his first favorite player.
  • He or she is walking the fine line between very strong attraction and obsession for JD. It could be a romantic attraction, but not necessarily.
  • D4H IS Josh Dobbs, and the forum has become an outlet for his alter ego.

• He or she is walking the fine line between very strong attraction and obsession for JD. It could be a romantic attraction, but not necessarily.

Not possible considering the gibberish that the OP has posted in the past.

You could give Dobbs a full frontal lobotomy, with a pickax, and he wouldn't post 90% of what D$H has.

Reactions: 4 people

If Dobbs is on here posting D4H's nonsense, then they sure don't make rocket scientists like they used to.

If Dobbs is on here posting D4H's nonsense, then they sure don't make rocket scientists like they used to.

Dobbs on PCP and bath salts would still know better than to hit "submit" on some of those threads.

What with the time it takes on the practice field, not to mention off the field in the filmroom, to be a QB in the SEC, then add in the full load he takes in the classroom that is required in aeronautical engineering, then add in the community service work he does, I'm pretty sure Dobbs doesn't have the free time that DH4 must have to post regularly on this board.

I just wonder what D4H is going to do once his last grasp is gone.

I mean he's only been 100% wrong about everything else, and now all he can do is go all in on Dobbs becoming an NFL great.

I just wonder what D4H is going to do once his last grasp is gone.

I mean he's only been 100% wrong about everything else, and now all he can do is go all in on Dobbs becoming an NFL great.

How long a window does he have? His declaration that Garrett will be the next Bruce Smith could take 5-10 years to fall apart. If Dobbs makes a NFL roster, every year will be the "breakout year" when his greatness will prevail. He could be a Texas message board poster by then. :)

Love Josh Dobbs and I'm in large part a numbers guy. There's no doubt that Josh improved in a lot of areas throwing the ball this year, especially downfield. Yards per attempt was an issue for him prior to this year and he took a big jump in that area. To go from a career average of about 6.5 to 8.3 was a huge improvement.

But we also have to recognize that he was having a pretty "meh" statistical season until the last 4 games ..... versus Tennessee Tech, Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy. Until that point, through 8 games, he was completing well under 60% of his throws and had nearly as many interceptions as touchdown passes (15 tds, 11 ints).

All that is not to say that he didn't, overall, have a very good season throwing the ball. And when you throw in his running, well that takes him to a different level. But that last 4 game stretch (69 of 86, 80.2% completions, 11 tds vs 1 interception) vs some really bad defenses made all the difference in his passing stats.

Finally, as Fade said, Dobbs was not the problem this year. With the exception of the SCar and Bama games, he played winning football all year long and very easily could've been First Team All-SEC. The glaring, obvious issue with this team on the field was on defense.

Your hatred of Josh Dobbs is So obvious. You try to diminsh all his accomplishments while highlighting all his flaws.

The truth is nearly everyone else in college played a weaker schedule than Tennessee. I don't see you dissecting everyone else's stats.

If Dobbs ran up stats against weak defenses then so did everyone else. And in most cases almost every other QB in the country faced an easier schedule than Dobbs.

Lamar Jackson is about to collect the Heisman for destroying subpar opposition in September and one real opponent (Florida State). He also didn't dominate Kentucky as much as Dobbs did.

Stop trying to diminsh everything Dobbs does.

It's not illogical to say he had his four best statistical games vs 4 of the worst defenses he played all year. He had a very good season overall, but there were clear differences in his performance depending on who he played. This is true of most players, in any sport and it's true here as well.

I originally said was that he was having a fairly pedestrian season statistically until he hit the easiest part of the schedule in terms the collective defenses he played. That's unarguable. Yes, all QBs have similar schedules in terms of strong teams they play and weak teams they play .... and at the end of the day, all games and all statistics count.

But it's a more accurate view and description to dig a little deeper to see when and against whom the best statistical games came against. Josh had great games vs TAM and Florida (2nd half when guys stopped dropping passes) earlier in the season throwing the ball. But what really boosted his numbers this season was the incredible statistical stretch of games to end the year....vs Tenn Tech, Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy. Here are the breakdowns......

First 8 games....
57.1%,
210 yards per game
1.875 TD passes per game
1.375 interceptions per game

Last 4 games....
80.2%
245 yards per game
2.75 TD passes per game
.25 interceptions per game

Please don't perceive this as me trying to diminish or criticize Dobbs. It would be difficult to complete 80% of your passes vs air in a skeleton drill. I'm only providing context to his numbers. He had a very good, improved year, and all QBs pad their numbers vs lesser competition/bad defenses....and that's pretty much what happened with Josh. There's a big difference in trying to complete passes vs Tennessee Tech or Missouri vs trying to complete passes vs Alabama.

The guy about to collect the Heisman had a similar year.

Only in the reverse.

Spectacular first 4 games.

Okay in the last 8.

Your hatred of Josh Dobbs is So obvious. You try to diminsh all his accomplishments while highlighting all his flaws.

The truth is nearly everyone else in college played a weaker schedule than Tennessee. I don't see you dissecting everyone else's stats.

If Dobbs ran up stats against weak defenses then so did everyone else. And in most cases almost every other QB in the country faced an easier schedule than Dobbs.

Lamar Jackson is about to collect the Heisman for destroying subpar opposition in September and one real opponent (Florida State). He also didn't dominate Kentucky as much as Dobbs did.

Stop trying to diminsh everything Dobbs does.

MY hatred of Dobbs?? Lol. Somebody is in his fee-wings.

I wasn't the one who started a thread to say this about Joshua.....

Dobbs 4 Heisman's Avatar Dobbs 4 Heisman (7,329)
04:08 PM 09-17-2016 ( Report! )

"Embarrassing.

Putrid.

Disgusting.

I can't believe I trusted these guys to improve. I can't believe I thought Butch Jones was anything but a liability. I can't believe I thought Dobbs could pass the ball.

I'd like to apologize to everyone for everything I said over the summer. This team sucks and this QB is terrible."

That was you son.

Reactions: 3 people
MY hatred of Dobbs?? Lol. Somebody is in his fee-wings.

I wasn't the one who started a thread to say this about Joshua.....

Dobbs 4 Heisman's Avatar Dobbs 4 Heisman (7,329)
04:08 PM 09-17-2016 ( Report! )

"Embarrassing.

Putrid.

Disgusting.

I can't believe I trusted these guys to improve. I can't believe I thought Butch Jones was anything but a liability. I can't believe I thought Dobbs could pass the ball.

I'd like to apologize to everyone for everything I said over the summer. This team sucks and this QB is terrible."

That was you son.

Stop deflecting and respond to the actual content of my post rather than the first sentence.

Tennessee played one of the toughest scheduled in the country. To go in on Dobbs for producing more against weaker competition is asinine considering almost every other QB played an entire schedule more in line with what Dobbs faced the last 4 weeks than the first 8. Which I believe are all bowl teams now.

The potential Heisman winner in particular pretty much won the award for playing competition like Dobbs last 4 games for almost the entire season.

Stop running and answer the content of my post.

Similar? Jackson had over 1500 yards rushing and nearly 3400 yards passing.... .just stop kid

Reading comprehension buddy.

My point was Lamar Jackson essentially won the Heisman for dominating subpar competition. Primarily in the month of September when he scored 25 of his eventual 51 TDs.

Lamar Jackson in September = 25 TDs
Lamar Jackson last 8 games = 26 TDs

Obviously he was more prolific overall. But he also had the lions share of his production in one month against very weak defenses.

My point was Lamar Jackson essentially won the Heisman for dominating subpar competition. Primarily in the month of September when he scored 25 of his eventual 51 TDs.

Obviously he was more prolific overall. But he also had the lions share of his production in one month against very weak defenses.

Hmmm, but remember, you said Dobbs sucks and cannot throw. So whats your point?

Reactions: 2 people
The guy about to collect the Heisman had a similar year.

Only in the reverse.

Spectacular first 4 games.

Okay in the last 8.

You mean Lamar Jackson? The guy who threw for 3,400 yards and 30 tds? And ran for 1,500+ yards and 21 more touchdowns? Nearly 5,000 yards and 51 touchdowns? Are you really trying to pick his season apart? Have at it champ.

And how does his season have ANYTHING to do with Josh's anyway? He's gonna win the Heisman because he's clearly the best, most dynamic player in the country.

It's not about how he did WHEN he played, it's about he did against WHO he played Slick. It just so happened that Josh really padded his numbers later in the season when our schedule softened. Not his fault, and as I said, he played great in completing 80% of his passes which is hard to do vs air. But prior to those last 4 games, he was completing 57% of his passes and had 15 TD passes vs 11 interceptions. Even in the midst of those pedestrian numbers, he still had some outstanding performances....there, is that better?

Joshua finished up having an outstanding season and it's ashamed the defense was so GOD-awful and sealed the fate of this team. Josh deserved better IMO, and I don't think even Jackson could've overcome it had he been UT's quarterback this year. But the facts are the facts about Josh's season overall, and not even your hissy fit isnt gonna change it.

Last edited:

FSU and Clemson was "subpar competition"??

You mean Lamar Jackson? The guy who threw for 3,400 yards and 30 tds? And ran for 1,500+ yards and 21 more touchdowns? Nearly 5,000 yards and 51 touchdowns? Are you really trying to pick his season apart? Have at it champ.

And how does his season have ANYTHING to do with Josh's anyway? He's gonna win the Heisman because he's clearly the best, most dynamic player in the country.

It's not about how he did WHEN he played, it's about he did against WHO he played Slick. It just so happened that Josh really padded his numbers later in the season when our schedule softened. Not his fault, and as I said, he played great in completing 80% of his passes which is hard to do vs air. But prior to those last 4 games, he was completing 57% of his passes and had 15 TD passes vs 11 interceptions. Even in the midst of those pedestrian numbers, he still had some outstanding performances....there, is that better?

Joshua finished up having an outstanding season and it's ashamed the defense was so GOD-awful and sealed the fate of this team. Josh deserved better IMO, and I don't think even Jackson could've overcome it had he been UT's quarterback this year. But the facts are the facts about Josh's season overall, and not even your hissy fit isnt gonna change it.

He wasn't the best player in the country. He just put up the best stats. Two very different things.

The best player in college football (when healthy) is Myles Garrett.

VN Store

Back