If you were on the committee

See, I hate seeing this.. that was at the start of the year, Virginia would clown us right now..

Sucks for you. That was a week before conference play started, when they went on a 20-2 run to finish the year.

Last edited:
I can't see the committee keeping a team out of the tournament (or in a play-in game) that has beaten a 1 seed (UVA), taken another 1 seed (FLA) to the wire twice, and has a pretty good resume/RPI.

I'm not trying to buttress the VA win is meaningless argument, but shouldn't wins late in the season be weighed more heavily? Isn't a team supposed to get better as the season goes along? Players develop their skills, coaches figure out the best ways to use them, teams build cohesiveness. Isn't that how it's supposed to work? I really thought Dunavant might say a few nice things about UT to help them out. I don't think anyone in the country wants to play UT right now and if they bring intensity to the tournament, I would not be surprised to see them in the final 8 teams.

Where did I say that??? I just think they'd beat us handily at this time..

Who cares? You can't play your entire schedule in a week. All games count. I can make a damn good argument that they have been so good BECAUSE of our beat down. They were probably embarrassed and decided to play better.

and had to make an argument AGAINST Tennessee receiving a bid, what would it be?

I'd stress the 3-7 record agains top 50 and 7-9 record against top 100 teams.
Not sure how that stacks up against other bubble teams, but it is the main complaint I hear from other fans. In my opinion, our SOS and RPI overcomes these and that we are definitely in.

I cant think of any other than they lost to A&M twice. That was without a doubt their biggest downfall. If not for that they'd be golden right now.

Like BTO said, it doesn't matter if it happens in November or March. A quality win is a quality win.

Should it?

Seems to me teams on a hot streak or "gelling" at the end of the regular season always want to claim it's how do we look now, whereas teams with their best games 4 months ago want to talk "body of work."

Reactions: 1 person
Should it?

Seems to me teams on a hot streak or "gelling" at the end of the regular season always want to claim it's how do we look now, whereas teams with their best games 4 months ago want to talk "body of work."

We have both. 5 game winning streak with a ridiculous margin of victory until our loss yesterday. It just so happens that our best win was in late December. Guess that means we should just disregard everything and start playing in January. Maybe Georgia has a shot? It actually shows that we had great games early and late.

Reactions: 1 person
Should it?

Fans can claim what they want, but the committee no longer considers the what have you done for me lately. If they did we likely would've been in at least 1 of the last 2 years.

If they use some lame excuses and leave us out, it is time to burn mattresses, rush NCAA HQs, hoist Bugger Cheek on a petard, #@%^&#$^&................

Only had 4 real chances, and 2 were against the top 2 teams and one was at Rupp. Should have beaten Mizzou. LSU is a good road win- just ask Kentucky.

We had the lead in Kentucky, should have won in Mizzou. Lost in Vandy, who was awful

We had the lead in Kentucky, should have won in Mizzou. Lost in Vandy, who was awful

I didn't comment about the games. Just said that our 4 chances were very tough and that LSU was a good win. Wonder what all the other teams in the country would do at UF, at UK, at Missouri, and at Wichita? Not well.

I think the problem all year has been inconsistant play. The biggest question for the selection committee is: Which Tennessee team will we get? They have a lot of potential and sometimes they plain lay an egg.

Here's what I would say ---

They had a better Out of Conference run, (beating Virginia) but was slop in their own conference. You have to compare the conference RPI's if you are against TN.

Yes, they did have a better run towards the end, but their schedule was FAVORABLE.

The fact that Georgia slipped in as the 3rd and TN was the 4th should prove the inconsistency of the SEC teams.

Here's what I would say ---

They had a better Out of Conference run, (beating Virginia) but was slop in their own conference. You have to compare the conference RPI's if you are against TN.

Yes, they did have a better run towards the end, but their schedule was FAVORABLE.

The fact that Georgia slipped in as the 3rd and TN was the 4th should prove the inconsistency of the SEC teams.

So your argument basically would be that November and December don't matter?

So your argument basically would be that November and December don't matter?

When talking about TN specifically? Yes, you are right.

You think the committee will discuss Virginia's November and Decembers games? Just that alone will discredit the TN win.

If TN was in smaller conference and beat Virginia but struggled against their own conference, you think they would still be in?

I'm telling you, with the NEW ALIGNMENT of teams in conferences, this committee will highly consider the how weak/strong conferences are.

When talking about TN specifically? Yes, you are right.

You think the committee will discuss Virginia's November and Decembers games? Just that alone will discredit the TN win.

If TN was in smaller conference and beat Virginia but struggled against their own conference, you think they would still be in?

I'm telling you, with the NEW ALIGNMENT of teams in conferences, this committee will highly consider the how weak/strong conferences are.

We will find out soon won't we

I think the problem all year has been inconsistant play. The biggest question for the selection committee is: Which Tennessee team will we get? They have a lot of potential and sometimes they plain lay an egg.

You can't guess as to how teams will play. You look at their résumé and use the eye test. Prognosticating games is not the way to go.

Lets just say this: MTSU got in as an at large last year with 1 WIN in the RPI top 100, and that was to Ole Miss at home who had to win the SECT to get in. Their RPI was 33.

Our résumé blows that out of the water. RPI and SOS are huge tools for the committee.

However, we didn't do anything impressive with that SOS or RPI. We beat an unranked UVA team at the time.

VN Store

Back