If you heard Doug Mathews this morning.....

Why we didn't do that? A mix of passive men as coaches and talent inferior to the teams that were doing it. Captain Passive is now running the athletic department.
Hopefully he will keep his hands off of the actual coaching

Any kind of hard nosed quality coaching will be appreciated. The Jones style won't be missed.
1424butchjones9838959421_t755_he9fffe1aa7a106e37b0ae23e385c435d560a4dbf.jpg

Willing to bet we don't see Pruitt on his knees crying after any wins that's for sure.
Bingo. He was just way too emotional. His inability to control himself during pressers, his inability to control himself on the sidelines, and his inability to control himself during practices (remember the gut punch?) are all connected to what resulted in him crying after the Georgia game; emotional instability and a lack of self-control.

And this doesn't mean that I think crying is bad... I just think Butch's response to the Jennings catch was the result of an extreme mood swing.

ie Gray, DM don’t know what he’s talking about. Gray practiced at WR Sat and was redshirted LY. Go back and listen to last yr shows. He was high on team and previously very high on Jones. Makes me think the Sun morning show is a waste of time

Reactions: Jack Burton
"I hope you are right. We've never had a coach that would keep with the game plan when we have a big lead. They always have to put in there prevent / Mustang defense but even worse start running a prevent offense to avoid humiliating the other team. In my opinion the only adjustment you should make is to start playing your second and third stringers but even at that let them play the game plan. You can't develop a new quarterback by just having him come in and hand off the ball 3 straight times and then punt. During Butch's tenure, that conservative philosophy was it directly responsible for our losing to Oklahoma and Florida both in the 2015 season. There were countless instances of that during the Fulmer era the most glaring of which was the SEC Championship game of 2001 which cost us a shot at the NC."

Fortunately that was not the attitude at the Battle of Midway....I believe that the verbal coaching was "Ram it home, girls, ram it home!" That's what I screamed at them every time UT had a lead.....and they never listened. Maybe CJP will.

Reactions: LakeMaryFLVol
"I hope you are right. We've never had a coach that would keep with the game plan when we have a big lead. They always have to put in there prevent / Mustang defense but even worse start running a prevent offense to avoid humiliating the other team. In my opinion the only adjustment you should make is to start playing your second and third stringers but even at that let them play the game plan. You can't develop a new quarterback by just having him come in and hand off the ball 3 straight times and then punt. During Butch's tenure, that conservative philosophy was it directly responsible for our losing to Oklahoma and Florida both in the 2015 season. There were countless instances of that during the Fulmer era the most glaring of which was the SEC Championship game of 2001 which cost us a shot at the NC."

Fortunately that was not the attitude at the Battle of Midway....I believe that the verbal coaching was "Ram it home, girls, ram it home!" That's what I screamed at them every time UT had a lead.....and they never listened. Maybe CJP will.

1533600108166.gif

The worst case I remember ever seeing of a coach blowing his cool was when Dooley panicked and threw in Worley to be the quarterback against Alabama (blowing his red shirt) when it became obvious the way the game was going to go.
Dooley was POd at his qb and wanted to show him the bench. Dooley new he was gone and didn’t care about worley’s red shirt. Worley should have declined the offer to play.

I my opinion you teach players to give all they have on every play. If you begin to run the score up put in your developmental players and get some value out of the game.

Never allow players to give less then 100% or coast even at the end of the game. Slacking off is a bad habit easily learned.

Let the lesser teams that came for the cash off easy, but beat the in conference foes without mercy to win the recruiting advantage.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
I only listened until the first break, but he feels like there is more talent on the team than most think. He noted that the recruiting is aiming at the OL and DL which is necessary to compete in the SEC. JJ Peterson is still not there due to his own shortfalls in completing his high school work.

J.J. Peterson will NEVER wear a U.T. uniform. He will go to a JUCO and someone else will recruit him while a JUCO.

Sims was about as worthless as you get

With Simms, we had to use overtime at home to beat UAB. Denarious Moore caught the winning T.D. Simms lost his job to Bray, once the meat of the S.E.C. schedule was complete. Let Simms get beat up by UGA, Florida, Bama and put Bray in against USC, Memphis, Ky. & Vandy.

The worst case I remember ever seeing of a coach blowing his cool was when Dooley panicked and threw in Worley to be the quarterback against Alabama (blowing his red shirt) when it became obvious the way the game was going to go.

My main memory of Dooley is when we beat LSU, but the refs said there was 1` second remaining on the clock. So, we go back on the field and stop them again. 13 players were on the field and a free play with no time left was given to LSU.
We win, then we lose.... That is Dooley ball.... Can't even get the basics correct.. 13 players on the field??????

My second memory of Dooley was the loss to UNC in the Music City Bowl. Embarrassing!!!!!!!

My third memory of Dooley was losing to Ky. for the first time in 25 years on Thanksgiving Day weekend.

ie Gray, DM don’t know what he’s talking about. Gray practiced at WR Sat and was redshirted LY. Go back and listen to last yr shows. He was high on team and previously very high on Jones. Makes me think the Sun morning show is a waste of time

Seems like a great guy who loves the Vols, but his record indicates sunshine pumper. I remember he said Butch’s last class was one of the best looking classes he signed and the 2017 team looked amazing at practice.

Reactions: wmcovol
If and when Tennessee wins 7-8 games and 8 or 9 games after the Bowl games this season how will it be reported by the sports media? Will they report that Coach Pruitt has done a great job and Tennessee has a very good coach or will they say the SEC East is really weak to cover their arses for pretty much hating Tennessee's hire of Coach Pruitt? I think the idiots in the Media will say Tennessee has come back so quickly because the SEC is weak.

VN Store

Back