If you heard Doug Mathews this morning.....

Doug this morning...

Thinks talent is very underrated on this team. He thinks this could be a very good team..

Staff won’t be out prepared...
Staff will play best player...
Won’t be out coached on Saturdays habitually...
WVU is good matchup for us...likes our chances..

I really hope Doug is right and not just telling us what we want to hear like last year.

Doug seems to be the kind of guy that tells it like he truly sees it. Doesn't act like everything is seen through orange colored glasses.
Even though practices are closed, he has some pretty good "sources". I trust his opinion more than most.

Reactions: FïreBall
Doug this morning...

Thinks talent is very underrated on this team. He thinks this could be a very good team..

Staff won’t be out prepared...
Staff will play best player...
Won’t be out coached on Saturdays habitually...
WVU is good matchup for us...likes our chances..

That's good to hear. I hope he's right. On offense the Vols need tackles that can run and pass block, WR's that can beat press coverage, and a QB that can get them the ball. Defense needs corners that can play press coverage, tackles and ends that can tackle and pressure the QB. If they find some guys that can execute the schemes then there are only three of four teams on the schedule that have more talent than the Vols. Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and possibly Florida. Beating WVU could give the Vols the confidence they need to have a winning season. 8 or 9 wins isn't out of the question if the players buy in and play upto their potential. In reality there will probably be some growing pains this season and the Vols finish with. 6 or 7 wins.

Doesn't mean he's wrong. With each day that goes by that JJ isn't here, the more likely that scenario will happen.
I'll Grant that he could be right about Peterson not making it in. His carrying on that Peterson will never sign with UT was just trying to get reaction and attention. I think it is possible that Pruitt keeping up the narrative that Peterson will make it in is part of the future recruitment process.

ie Gray, DM don’t know what he’s talking about. Gray practiced at WR Sat and was redshirted LY. Go back and listen to last yr shows. He was high on team and previously very high on Jones. Makes me think the Sun morning show is a waste of time
Beginning to feel this way too. He’s now constantly criticizing in retrospect a guy he refused to ever criticize at the time.....was even the lone voice last year calling for Jones to be given a contract extension, right before he authored the worst season in program history, even though he already had 3 years remaining on his contract....if Mathews had gotten his way, we’d owe Jones $12mm right now rather than $8mm.

Additionally, he’s not giving fair, honest analysis now. He sounds like any regular VN slappy who would try to do a radio show. Every time I hear him now, we’re a team loaded with talent that can be very good and every player, every position group is gonna have a great year in 2018 and every player and every position group is gonna be way better this year than everybody thinks, etc, etc, etc.

For example, did you know that both Taylor and Kongbo are “outstanding defensive ends/OLBs” and that Doug can’t fathom a situation, ever, “where Pruitt has both of those guys standing next to him on the sidelines”??If I’ve heard him say that exact thing once, I’ve heard him say it 15 times the last month or so. I’ve gotten where I don’t believe/trust much of anything he says.

Doug seems to be the kind of guy that tells it like he truly sees it. Doesn't act like everything is seen through orange colored glasses.
Even though practices are closed, he has some pretty good "sources". I trust his opinion more than most.
Interesting. Even though I like him, I think he is a huge sunshine pumper.

VN Store

Back