If you could...

Start with Big Doug...

Absolutely. The fact that he played on Neyland's last teams is irrelevant to this discussion. Consider the following accolades:

Doug Atkins is "considered by many to be the greatest defensive end in football history. . . . [He] was the only player to be unanimously named to the All-SEC Quarter Century Team and was awarded SEC Player of the Quarter Century (1950-74). He was also selected to the All-Time All-SEC Team (1933-82). . . . He and Reggie White are the only Tennessee players to ever be voted into both the College Football Hall of Fame and the Professional Football Hall of Fame (1982)" (Doug Atkins Bio - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics).

Interesting take on this, I like it, that personel would fit beautifully with this scheme IMO.

Only 2 things I would switch is rather than Creer I would have Travis Stephens with Hardesty because of his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield as well as switch Brent Vinson with Jason Allen or Dwayne Goodrich.

Those are very good substitutions. I purposely added guys that weren't in the "glory days".

I like Martinez coaching all those guys in that secondary I listed. Have you ever heard about a lot of his guys getting in trouble anywhere he has coached DB's??

He is very demanding as a position coach, but he is a good teacher to boot. That often translates off the field.

Those are very good substitutions. I purposely added guys that weren't in the "glory days".

I like Martinez coaching all those guys in that secondary I listed. Have you ever heard about a lot of his guys getting in trouble anywhere he has coached DB's??

He is very demanding as a position coach, but he is a good teacher to boot. That often translates off the field.
What about Lamarcus Coker?

create your own tennessee team using any player that has ever played for the vols what would your team look like. Both offense and defense. Could you image what other football teams and the sports world would say. We have had some very legendary talent play on this field we call neyland stadium.

QB: Peyton, Ainge, Bray
RB: Lewis, Henry, Foster, Hardesty, Hurd
WR: Meachem, Da'Rick, G Jones, Z Rogers, Josh Smith, North, Pearson, D Moore, Stallworth, Price
TE: Witten, Stocker, Rivera, Wolf
FB: Ben Bartholomew, Fugate
LT: Clifton, Tiny, Munoz
LG: Arron Sears, R Foster, Dallas Thomas
C: Scott Wells, Stone
RG: Fulton, Jac McClendon, A Herrera
RT: J James, Albert Toeaina

DE: White, Little, Ellis, Ayers, McBride, Haralson, Barnett
DT: Haynesworth, Henderson, Dan Williams, J Harrell, Tony McDaniel, Montori Hughes, Malik Jackson, Aubrayo Franklin
OLB: Kevin Burnett, Mayo, JRM, Rico McCoy, O Gaither, Marvin Mitchell, LaMarcus Thompson
MLB: Al Wilson, AJ, N Reveiz
CB: Sutton, Greer, J Wade, Jason Allen, Dennis Rogan, Goodrich
SS: Berry, Gibril Wilson, Randolph
FS: Deon Grant, Janzen Jackson

P: Dustin Colquitt, Britton Colquitt
K: Wilhoit, Palardy, Medley
LS: Morgan Cox, Giampapa
All-Purpose Gravy, Cherry on Top, Icing on Cake: CP

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
HC, OC, and QB coach: Cutcliffe

DC and LB coach: Chavis

Assistant QB coach: Jim Bob Cooter

TE coach and assistant OC: Jason Michael

WR coach: Kippy Brown

OL coach and assistant HC: Doug Marrone

RB coach: Eddie Gran

Assistant DC (third down package): Wilcox

DL coach and Recruiting Coordinator: Rodney Garner

Assistant LB coach: Lance Thompson

DB coach and ST coordinator: Ron Zook

Last edited:
create your own tennessee team using any player that has ever played for the vols what would your team look like. Both offense and defense. Could you image what other football teams and the sports world would say. We have had some very legendary talent play on this field we call neyland stadium.

Manning, Scott Wells, Chad Clifton, JuWuan James, Tom Milinski, Mckenzie, Jamaal Lewis, Carl Pickens, Willie Gualt,
J. Witten, Shawn Bryson,

L. Little, R. White, Roland James, Eric Berry, A. Wilson, D. Grant, Dale Carter, J. Mayo, R. Thompson, Henderson, Haynesworth

Jeff Hall, Colquitt, Dale Carter

QB - Manning, T Robinson
RB - Cafego, Cobb, Henry, Majors
WR - Gault, Meachem, Stallworth, Hunter, Price, Morgan
TE - Witten, Stocker
OL - Clifton, B Miller, A Davis, Galbreath, Sears, Weary

DL - Atkins, White, Little, Henderson, Ratliff, Duff, Delong
LB - Kiner, Wilson, D Jones, Burnett, Mayo
DB - Berry, Carter, Fair, Majors, Grant
Punter - pick a Colquitt
PK - Fuad/J Hall

Swiss Army selections - Pickens, CP, and give me Inky because I want that guy on my team all day every day!

You know...I do always wonder how the 1998 or 97 team would fare against today's teams.

Read an article yesterday that said that Michael Jordan was saying that really only 4 current players would make it and be good in his era of basketball: Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, and Duncan.

You do wonder exactly how our 1998 Championship team, or our 1997 team would match up against football teams today.

Could you imagine if you were able to take a defense with Al Wilson and Leonard Little, and put them up against Oregon's high octane offense?

I do wonder that quite a bit.

You know...I do always wonder how the 1998 or 97 team would fare against today's teams.

Read an article yesterday that said that Michael Jordan was saying that really only 4 current players would make it and be good in his era of basketball: Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, and Duncan.

You do wonder exactly how our 1998 Championship team, or our 1997 team would match up against football teams today.

Could you imagine if you were able to take a defense with Al Wilson and Leonard Little, and put them up against Oregon's high octane offense?

I do wonder that quite a bit.

We'll never find out but I'd put my money on any top 25 2014 team over any pre-2000s team. Take this with a mine of salt as my earliest football memory dates to the year 2000.

We'll never find out but I'd put my money on any top 25 2014 team over any pre-2000s team. Take this with a mine of salt as my earliest football memory dates to the year 2000.

I'd put that 98 Defense up against anybody today, If we are talking players. If we are talking about players AND schemes then today would win all the time. Schemes and designs have gotten far more complex since then. But give me Al Wilson, Deon Grant, etc any day. I would take the entire oline from 98, Price, J Lewis, Henry, and Stephens as well. Would anybody else rather have Tee under center tomorrow as well?

I'd put that 98 Defense up against anybody today, If we are talking players. If we are talking about players AND schemes then today would win all the time. Schemes and designs have gotten far more complex since then. But give me Al Wilson, Deon Grant, etc any day. I would take the entire oline from 98, Price, J Lewis, Henry, and Stephens as well. Would anybody else rather have Tee under center tomorrow as well?

Schemes have gotten more complex, but I'd take Cut's 90s playbook over anything Baja will ever produce.

QB: Manning, T. Robinson, Clausen
RB: Lewis, Henry, Stevens
FB: C. Anderson
WR: Meachem, CP, Peerless, Gault
TE: Witten, Stocker

'98 OL plus Aaron Sears and Josh McNeil

SDE: White, S. Ellis
WDE: Little, Ayers
DT: Haynesworth, Henderson, Harrell
SLB: Simon, Burnett, Gaither
MLB: Wilson, AJ
WLB: Mayo, Raynoch