If you could add any player from vol history to the current roster...

I can't believe CP isn't getting more votes in this thread. People don't understand he makes a serious case for the best skill position player we've ever had.

In this offense, he might score so much we barely need a defense.

Reactions: KTrain
... who would it be?

This was a question posted on twitter that sent me down a rabbit hole. Having only been a die hard vols fan for about 25 years now; there is still much for me to learn.

I came across the name Bob Johnson and thought it was worthy of sharing as this man deserves honoring.

Wiki - UTSports - NFF - Recent Podcast - Bangles Article

A very short list of his accolades...

First recruit of Doug Dickie
All American & All SEC in 66-67
Best lineman in the SEC - Multiple awards
Placed 6th for the heisman... as a center.
Won first Natty since Neyland was coach

First person ever drafted by the Bangles - first round - second overall
12 season - 11 as captain
If there is a hall of fame in regards to football, he is in it.
Harvard business grad
LOL it's Reggie White and it's not even close

You talking bout Patterson or Pickens? Carl was an All American and Pro Bowler. Patterson was the best returner since Dale Carter...both would be unstoppable in this offense though.

Btw...I think Seldon is gonna be a lot like Patterson was. We don't quite know what to do with him yet, and are loaded at both RB and WR this season barring crazy injuries. I think he is at RB just because Small and Wright will both be gone next year. I would not be at all surprised to see us land a 5star RB next season since he would likely get some touches as the no3 or so RB as a freshman. Especially since we cleaned up on the Oline in the 24 class...

Edit :Quote didnt load...is for Knox obviously in reference to his "CP"

I'm going Trey Smith. That man deserved to win more than he did

If I remember correctly, he said his college highlight was beating Georgia tech

Reactions: Megatron88
Greg Puki. Probably an average player by todays standards but it was always fun to say his name "Puki" whenever he would make a tackle. But the real Vol that never played would be John Ward. When he left that upbeat Vol enthusiasm faded away. Id bring him back 1000 times over any player or coach.

He would be great in the current offense. A great passer with great speed.
With the offense Heupel runs, yes, he would have been a great passer. In a pro-set, he wasn't a great passer. He had moments when he performed top shelf, which is why I will always love him. He threw two of the best long passes, in a big time game, that all of us have seen. That's the hanger for him with his hat. If he would been a great passer, he would have stuck in the NFL

If defense, I would say Al Wilson or Lenard Little.

If offense, I would say Jamal Lewis or Jason Witten.

Doug wouldn’t have liked today’s training regime. He would have always been in the doghouse with the coaches, and the coaches would have been scared to death to try and discipline him. But not nearly as close to the fear that every QB and OL in the SEC would have.
They would be scared because ol Doug threw olinemen at the QBs.

VN Store

Back