If Tyndall gets ...

bnhunt

fired does that really set the program back 5 years like some have suggested on here? I agree that this year was a throw away year due to the massive attrition and that CDT did an above-average job, although without JRich this team doesn't win 10 games. With that being said, it appears that CDT doesn't have any good recruits coming in and will have to go the JUCO route again more than likely and until this NCAA investigation is over it will be virtually impossible to recruit effectively. Therefore, if UT decides to fire him, and I believe if the NCAA levies any kind of punishment on CDT, then that would give UT an out to terminate him for cause and not have to pay the buy out, then why not do it and get a coach in who we know runs a clean program. A Rick Byrd comes to mind or another up and comer without the NCAA baggage (i.e. UTC or Murray St. HC). I am sure I will get flamed by a lot for this and I am not a CDT hater at all, but this NEVER-ENDING investigation is really hurting the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It depends on who would be hired to take his place. I would be for hiring GSU Head Coach Ron Turner.

No more than the position we are in currently, wouldn't you agree? You see this team being an NCAA tourney team in the next couple years? I don't.

Hard to say really . Depends on who we pick up next month . He did win 16 games with basically nothing this year . If we get a PG and a legit C to go along with what we already have I wouldn't be surprised if we sneak in

Reactions: 5 people
Yeah tough call. If the NCAA made a quick ruling so we knew where we stood would be nice. The scary part is we may not k.ow what is happening till late summer or next fall. If that's the case UT terminating Tyndall would not be with cause until then. At that point would be crippling. I like CDT but if those from or athletic program who have had the facts in front of them and see something more than a few game suspension it's best to cut bait. But it's risky at this point especially if he is deemed innocent and we fired him early giving him a handsome buyout then he could coach elsewhere easily and quickly.

Reactions: 3 people
fired does that really set the program back 5 years like some have suggested on here? I agree that this year was a throw away year due to the massive attrition and that CDT did an above-average job, although without JRich this team doesn't win 10 games. With that being said, it appears that CDT doesn't have any good recruits coming in and will have to go the JUCO route again more than likely and until this NCAA investigation is over it will be virtually impossible to recruit effectively. Therefore, if UT decides to fire him, and I believe if the NCAA levies any kind of punishment on CDT, then that would give UT an out to terminate him for cause and not have to pay the buy out, then why not do it and get a coach in who we know runs a clean program. A Rick Byrd comes to mind or another up and comer without the NCAA baggage (i.e. UTC or Murray St. HC). I am sure I will get flamed by a lot for this and I am not a CDT hater at all, but this NEVER-ENDING investigation is really hurting the program.

As a diehard Vols fan, it hurts me to have to say this, but no one wants to come here. No one. That's why we ended up with Zo and Tyndall. Guys like Byrd are either to old to be a long term solution/won't come here because of age and stability they have in their current jobs, or they are well out of our price range. Tyndall was a diamond in the rough find. He did a much better job than "above average", and without his zone this team would have been dead in the water. If Tyndall leaves, we are in serious trouble unless we pay to get a very good coach, which won't happen.

Reactions: 9 people
I have seen his name floated a lot lately. You know he would lave GA ST for an SEC job too.

He would leave GSU for Tennessee in a New York minute. I think if CDT stays Ron Turner will be a major candidate for the Alabama job.

As a diehard Vols fan, it hurts me to have to say this, but no one wants to come here. No one. That's why we ended up with Zo and Tyndall. Guys like Byrd are either to old to be a long term solution/won't come here because of age and stability they have in their current jobs, or they are well out of our price range. Tyndall was a diamond in the rough find. He did a much better job than "above average", and without his zone this team would have been dead in the water. If Tyndall leaves, we are in serious trouble unless we pay to get a very good coach, which won't happen.

I hear ya and UT's track record of hiring HCs proves your point. Our last 4 hires were from mid-majors with Buzz coming from Tulsa, Pearl from UW-Milwaukee, Zo from Mizz St., and Donnie from USM (arguably not a mid-major). I just keep thinking at some point they will step up and spend the money to get a good HC because the program can be successful as Pearl showed. UT has tremendous facilities and a good gym. It would be interesting just ONCE if they offered good money to see who might be willing to listen, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Every year is different. Some outgoing TN coaches left the program and roster in shambles. Some coaches didn't want to work for Doug Dickey. TN has a lot to offer to the right guy, but many are more comfortable playing the Sisters of the Poor in their one or two decent team, mid-major conference. Shaka Smart for example... big fish in a small pond. Greg Marshall is another.

Reactions: 2 people
Every year is different. Some outgoing TN coaches left the program and roster in shambles. Some coaches didn't want to work for Doug Dickey. TN has a lot to offer to the right guy, but many are more comfortable playing the Sisters of the Poor in their one or two decent team, mid-major conference. Shaka Smart for example... big fish in a small pond. Greg Marshall is another.

He begged to come here...we hired Cunzo instead...so based on that we don't deserve a good coach.

I'll also add this, if Tyndall gets the shaft by the NCAA, then whatever coach we look at needs to be an uptempo, offensive minded coach. When you don't have a PG, post players who can score regularly, or shooters, you have to generate points somehow. Tyndall does it with his zone, but his zone is very unique. We need to go with a coach who runs an uptempo offense, otherwise, we will be very, very bad the next 2-3 years. We are already in a huge hole right now because we don't have a PG or any pure 3 shooters. Our half court offense is going to be awful next year without Josh...

We really need Tyndall to be able to go out and get us players, and if he does get fired, we better find someone who's a work horse on the recruiting trail. We don't have to obtain 2-3 5 star players every year, but we do need to find some solid scorers, pure shooters, a facilitating PG, and a post scorer. We also have to develop TO, Willie, etc...

Yea, I'm not saying I disagree, however, as already stated, Marshall did want to come here...

You can obtain many of these mid-major coaches if you want them, but it takes something we aren't willing to give, $$$$$...

We do have great facilities, etc., but most coaches don't appreciate it when you dish out low-ball offers. $ is respect to most these coaches, and as you already eluded to, why would you leave a mid-major (easier conference) and not ask for huge money? If you fail, you may not get another shot at a power 5 school for a long time. You have to cash in while you can, or you can be like Shaka, and win consistently in a mid-major conference with half the stress of a power five school like UT. Plus, guys like Shaka have little to prove, and most those guys who stay for long periods of time at mid-major schools become near iconic... Would you pass that up unless someone came at you with a ton of cash?

And when I say ton of cash, I mean making a guy like Shaka a top 5 paid coach in the country. That's what it'd take to get him here. Brad Stevens would be another one if he ever left the NBA.

Last edited:
He begged to come here...we hired Cunzo instead...so based on that we don't deserve a good coach.

He begged to come here before he made a name for himself. If he wasn't afraid of competing in a difficult conference he could take the Alabama job. He's happy to to win in the Missouri Valley Conference against 9 mediocre teams. If any of the other MVC schools do well, their coaches leave for a better offer and the school will falter. He's in a good spot. Same thing with Few at Gonzaga.

Yep, literally no one wants to get rich coaching bball. Howland would have come last year. There are always good coaches out there. Doesn't have to be a huge name.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back