I remember when they were "free"

You have to let me know how those uniforms were during those September games, I have always wondered?? Looks miserable 😖
Well, the new uniforms are a much more forgiving fabric. It is lightweight and breathable. The ones used up until the change a couple of years ago were about 20 pounds of solid wool. The blue part of the uniform (Jacket and pants) doubled as the dress uniform for the concert band. Solid wool in dark blue. The orange and white overlay was synthetic leather. When the temp was above about 80° with the sun shining, it was extraordinarily hot. Higher than that and heat exhaustion/stroke were not uncommon. My last year we played Auburn in their newly renovated stadium late in the year. It was over 100° on the field and several Pride members collapsed on the sideline after the show. I and others spent the entire second half carrying an untold number of band members and fans under the stadium seats to be treated with ice packs that game. The only time up till that point that Dr. Julian let band members remove anything other than the hat in the stands.

FYI, those uniforms felt like they weighed 80 pounds when we marched in the rain.

I just went back and looked at my old student ticket stubs. The school started charging for student tickets in 2008. It was $15 per game. There was no lottery system back then probably because the team was sub-par. I remembered the only difference for students to get tickets in 08 was to pay $15 at the office. You still had to wait in line and you couldn't pick where you want to sit.
They couldn't have picked a worse time to start.

I remember winning the drawing/lottery in 99 for the opportunity to buy two UT/UF tickets at the Swamp. The game was #2 vs #4 if I remember correctly. A friend had agreed to drive and pay all expenses if I would give him a ticket, so that was the plan. I went to the UC and bought two tickets for face value ($25 each, I think). I walked out into the hallway and some guy asked if I would be interested in selling my tickets, and I said “no way!” He said “would $500 change your mind?” Turns out $500 did change my mind…

Not trying to age myself but I remember when the tickets were part of the student activity fees. Standing in line or camping out for certain games were part of the beauty of being a UT student.
Yup - we must’ve been there at the same time! You could get four tickets with one student ID and four activity tickets so 4 of us would get together and camp out in shifts!

Edit: we camped out for basketball tickets - for football, we just showed our ID at the gate - no assigned seats! It was like a mosh-pit!

Wow. I was at UT from the Fall of 75 - Spring of '79 (and yes, graduated!) Can't believe I remember her name, but a wonderful black woman named Janie worked in the UT ticket office next to Rathskellers in the Student Center and boy oh boy did I ever sweet talk her during my 4 years!!! Never missed a football game and attended a lot of basketvol games as well. Will never forget that Janie held aside some DD Row 1 tickets for our UCLA game. Thought I died and went to heaven when she handed them to me. And back then, who could have afforded a ticket, let alone one for your date???

I remember when smoking was permitted in Neyland and alcohol was prohibited.

One positive to changing for tickets is the students who go to the games are more likely interested in the game and not just there as a social outing. From back in my days, I remember packs of sorority girls who just chit chatted the whole time and couldn't have cared at all about the game itself.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I remember winning the drawing/lottery in 99 for the opportunity to buy two UT/UF tickets at the Swamp. The game was #2 vs #4 if I remember correctly. A friend had agreed to drive and pay all expenses if I would give him a ticket, so that was the plan. I went to the UC and bought two tickets for face value ($25 each, I think). I walked out into the hallway and some guy asked if I would be interested in selling my tickets, and I said “no way!” He said “would $500 change your mind?” Turns out $500 did change my mind…
That's how I got to the SECCG in 1998, I won the drawing and got two tickets. My now bff and I went on that trip together after my brother couldn't go.

Not trying to age myself but I remember when the tickets were part of the student activity fees. Standing in line or camping out for certain games were part of the beauty of being a UT student.
When I was there, the North End Zone was open. I would normally set up there and party.

That is the way it was in 1956, my Freshman year. We got our tickets when we registered. Same with basketball. My entire cost for my freshman year was about $1,000. That included my dorm and the money I spent for food. The cost of a coke (soda) was a dime. I cashed a check for $20 a week for all my personal expenses, including food. On weekends when I wanted to go home, I hitchhiked back and forth to Rogersville. In Hawkins county it was illegal to sell alcohol and if one wanted to buy beer, you would have to stop at a beer store on Rutledge let the " "Last Chance " beer store or buy it from one of the two bootleggers in Rogersville. In 1961 I moved to Atlanta to work and in 1964, I built my first home in Atlanta at a cost $17,500 for a 3 bedroom house . Times were simple, but they were a lot of fun and I/we did not have many of the problems that young adults face today. Drugs were not a problem and beer was the favorite alcohol beverage. In many ways, I miss my teenage and early adult live style because we lived life to its fullest ,for that time period, and we did not have to face many of the problem one faces in today society.

Student tickets should be free for all athletic events. Not surprising that this is more football-related BS.
Didn’t students sell their tickets during this time? I remember them saying “you better have an ID if you’re on a student ticket”.

That is the way it was in 1956, my Freshman year. We got our tickets when we registered. Same with basketball. My entire cost for my freshman year was about $1,000. That included my dorm and the money I spent for food. The cost of a coke (soda) was a dime. I cashed a check for $20 a week for all my personal expenses, including food. On weekends when I wanted to go home, I hitchhiked back and forth to Rogersville. In Hawkins county it was illegal to sell alcohol and if one wanted to buy beer, you would have to stop at a beer store on Rutledge let the " "Last Chance " beer store or buy it from one of the two bootleggers in Rogersville. In 1961 I moved to Atlanta to work and in 1964, I built my first home in Atlanta at a cost $17,500 for a 3 bedroom house . Times were simple, but they were a lot of fun and I/we did not have many of the problems that young adults face today. Drugs were not a problem and beer was the favorite alcohol beverage. In many ways, I miss my teenage and early adult live style because we lived life to its fullest ,for that time period, and we did not have to face many of the problem one faces in today society.
Oh wow, you are older than my parents. Sort of jealous of the people who could pay for college with a summer job.

I remember when they were "free"​

I also remember THIS...

On a related note, I remember standing in line all night for tickets to see The Police play at Stokely in '83. Anyone else?
tenor.gif

Synchronicity Tour with opening act...The Fixx!!!

Reactions: Hacksaw

VN Store

Back