I know this might be unpopular…

But that was the best coaching move TV made last year...Burns was terrible in SEC play, so Lindsey got the Friday start and Burns went to the bullpen...Burns coming out of the bullpen not only close the door, but shut it pretty damn tight...His relieving efforts was one of the main reasons we went to Omaha...

He had a bad patch early in the season. He's a starter--and a very talented one--and the decision cost us one of the most talented pitchers
in the country. And the pitching this season, so far, has not been very good.

But that was the best coaching move TV made last year...Burns was terrible in SEC play, so Lindsey got the Friday start and Burns went to the bullpen...Burns coming out of the bullpen not only close the door, but shut it pretty damn tight...His relieving efforts was one of the main reasons we went to Omaha...
Agreed. Unequivocally it was the best move for the team.

He had a bad patch early in the season. He's a starter--and a very talented one--and the decision cost us one of the most talented pitchers
So should Tony have bent the knee, continued starting him with a 12.40ERA, and likely missed the tournament considering the trajectory the team was on prior to Burns’s benching?

So be it. It was the best decision for the TEAM. Doubt UT makes Omaha without the move. Chase was incredible out of the pen and helped turn the season around.

Wouldn't guarantee his role? That would be stupid--he's one of the most talented pitchers in the collegiate game.
So you think Tony should guarantee a player a certain role before they earn it? What if he guaranteed Burns a starting role, then he pitched to a 12+ ERA like he did last year? Keep starting him? Glad you aren't the coach. SMDH

So you think Tony should guarantee a player a certain role before they earn it? What if he guaranteed Burns a starting role, then he pitched to a 12+ ERA like he did last year? Keep starting him? Glad you aren't the coach. SMDH

Right. Too inconsistent and became a nibbler on Friday nights.

However, was a nice luxury out of bullpen.

Reactions: taylorvol
The decision helped get us to Omaha.

Certainly walking more and more batters this year. I remember Blade, Chad, Do, etc. Would just pound the strike zone.

Admittedly, I didn't like bringing in Russell on a cool night coming off arm injury.

His temper is also becoming more and more of an issue.

However, prior to this year, he found teaching methods that produced many strikes.

Overall, I think he a good coach. Not CTV elite level, but a strong assistant.
I think this is fair.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
If anything, he maximizes untapped talent, and he might not be as good at helping **already** top talent adjust week to week. Look at all the guys who came in relatively unheralded, and see where they are. Crochet for example was on no one's radar pro-wise in terms of MLB-ready talent, he got a flyer for throwing hard. A few years later, he is a first-round pick and is now dominating. Filthy stuff.

If anything, he maximizes untapped talent, and he might not be as good at helping **already** top talent adjust week to week. Look at all the guys who came in relatively unheralded, and see where they are. Crochet for example was on no one's radar pro-wise in terms of MLB-ready talent, he got a flyer for throwing hard. A few years later, he is a first-round pick and is now dominating. Filthy stuff.
Crochet threw 86-88 when he arrived on campus in the fall of his freshman year. He was up to 90-91 that spring, and was consistent upper 90s when he left. Coaching had nothing to do with that. Genetics, growth spurts and physical maturity caused that. However, coaching did help him learn how to pitch, how to control his large body, develop pitches and throw strikes consistently.

Reactions: taylorvol
Crochet threw 86-88 when he arrived on campus in the fall of his freshman year. He was up to 90-91 that spring, and was consistent upper 90s when he left. Coaching had nothing to do with that. Genetics, growth spurts and physical maturity caused that. However, coaching did help him learn how to pitch, how to control his large body, develop pitches and throw strikes consistently.

That is fair. But he was a 6'5" lefty throwing 88-89 on the summer circuit at 17/18, which gets you looks. Anderson took that and molded him into a first-round pick. I would call that maximizing untapped talent, but others might have a different view on it.

Edit: Crochet deserves most of the credit for improving himself, but I am speaking from a coaching standpoint.

But at what point do we ask if Frank Anderson isn’t the pitching savant he’s been made out to be? I know, I know…but consider:

-Chase Burns got worse his 2nd year at UT. Now he’s good again at Wake.
-Dollander got worse his 2nd year at UT. His junior year cost him millions.
-Beam has now gotten worse in his junior year. His junior year may be costing him millions.

The last AJ Russell outing was really poorly managed. 6 walks and 2 hits in 2.2 innings? 69 pitches and gets injured. No way he should’ve been in that long, both because he didn’t have it and because he was coming back from an injury.

For years, we’ve discussed Frank’s belief in not worrying about base runners. Less justifiable when pitchers aren’t getting guys out and missing bats.

There are some bad trends with UT pitchers over the last few years. On the other hand, he did a great job with Walsh, Kirby, Hunley, and others. Maybe he’s better with the lower velocity crafty pitchers than the guys who come in with great stuff and high velocity?

I think it’s worth considering at this point, given that all 3 of those tremendous 2022 weekend starters eventually got worse at UT. I’m not saying he’s a bad pitching coach or that he isn’t a good one. But maybe he isn’t the elite coach we’ve deemed him to be.
He's 40 years into his coaching career. Frank was at a time, but not now. He recruits well, he spots talent, he calls the pitches, he argues and gets thrown out of games with a 1 game suspension...but there's not much development going on over there at this point.

The portal, 20+ pitchers to develop, multiple commit's every year....sometimes the game just passes you by and it's time to say "enough, I'm done"

You’re basing your comments on the idea that you think you know what transpired. We can’t say for sure what all the issues were, nor can we assume that Burns would have come back after the move to the bullpen, even if Tony gave him everything he wanted. Vitello has a tough job, and you making your declaration is pretty much thinking you know more than TV, even though you don’t have anything close to the knowledge he has about this situation.

You may have put that better than I did.

He's 40 years into his coaching career. Frank was at a time, but not now. He recruits well, he spots talent, he calls the pitches, he argues and gets thrown out of games with a 1 game suspension...but there's not much development going on over there at this point.

The portal, 20+ pitchers to develop, multiple commit's every year....sometimes the game just passes you by and it's time to say "enough, I'm done"
So you are saying he is successful Because I would say it is a college coach's job to spot talent, call pitches and win ballgames. Name a player that he has not developed that went somewhere else and was more successful as a pitcher. Please don't tell me Chase Burns.

After spending a good chunk of time in another forum…I tend to wanna know only one thing. Who? Not he /she is terrible and here are the reasons why. Who would you choose? Otherwise, it’s just complaining without a viable solution…which, let’s face it…is what a message board kinda is.

VN Store

Back