I just don't get it!!!!

Open looks are what FAU got all game. Those are open looks. We had some but their offense got them an open 3 basically every trip down if they wanted it. Then when they missed they got the offensive rebound where we didn’t even bother boxing out most of the time. That’s effort.

@joevols89 gave you a like because you make some very good points. I don't want to make any excuses ...we lost to a good team. Just a couple of additional points. When you play 4 out and one in the paint as FAU did boxing out is not that easy. Playing man-to-man with four defenders on the perimeter creates a "scramble" on defense and rebounding once a three ball is shot. If the shot is missed the rebound is usually a long carom and becomes a 50/50 ball at best. The best time to make a three is after a missed three, a long carom and the defense in a "scramble mode." Several of FAU's threes fit this scenario. Granted FAU beat us to most of the lose balls but it's more complcated than failure to box out.

Uros' flagrant foul is unfortunate and the three points that it gave FAU were probably the nail in the coffin. Not to defend Uros but to give some perspective. Uros was moving to check FAU's 7 foot center who was running hard to establish position for a rebound (on a shot that was made causing the total play to be a six point play). In other words Uros was trying to box out FAU's Center. It was clearly too aggressive and a foul but FAU did an excellent job of flopping and using the media's narrative to their benefit. When Uros was called for a charge (on a shot he made) Coach Barnes was caught on camera saying that's a flop. The TV crew said at one point FAU's Center sure falls down a lot. The flagrant on Uros was an aggressive attempt to box out. This was the same foul ( less aggressive) called on Santi's for his first and team first to start the game...trying to check the FAU center who was coming down the lane unchecked.

If you go back and look at the games we lost late in the regular season many if not most of them we were leading in the first half and had momentum but came out after half time and lost the game. Other teams seem to make adjustments but we don't. Some of our losses we're up by 15 or 20 pts. Seem like coach could watch game film and replay what happened to fix this
I'm sure he did. His answer....just play better defense.

Tennessee was outschemed and outhustled. They were outrebounded by 4 by a significantly smaller team (where was Awaka?). They gave up 40 points in the second half and the defense had no answers to stop the bleeding. FAU took 4 more FTS that UT and I cannot figure why Barnes wouldn't have the offense drive to the hole over and over again. Barnes refuses to call timeouts to stop runs, when FAU was on an 8-0 run and took the lead, he should have called one then, but allowed a 20-4 run to pretty much put them out of the game. I knew once FAU had a 8+ point lead, the Vols were done, they did not have the offensive firepower to overcome that which is a testament to their lack of offensive strategy. When will the Vols break through to the elite 8 and beyond? Barnes hasn't gotten us there and if you view the roster for next year, will probably not be next year either. This team fell apart after that big Texas win and they never recovered. Barnes had no plan B for PG once ZZ went down. The Vols are not a Final 4 program !

I don’t like what you said but facts don’t lie.

Every year it’s the same thing. Doesn’t matter how good or bad our team is. It doesn’t matter whether we have an offensive juggernaut or great defense.
We always fold in the tournament, and we always will as long as Barnes is coach. We will never reach a final 4 with him.
The sweet 16 is his ceiling, get used to it. It’s why I stopped watching basketball. The guys always look tense in the tournament, and that’s a reflection of our head coach.
Football is the only one I’ll stick with no matter how bad or good we are.

Too many open looks that were simply missed. You’re not going to beat any team in this tournament, even a 16-seed, shooting 33% from the floor.

Every year it’s the same thing. Doesn’t matter how good or bad our team is. It doesn’t matter whether we have an offensive juggernaut or great defense.
We always fold in the tournament, and we always will as long as Barnes is coach. We will never reach a final 4 with him.
The sweet 16 is his ceiling, get used to it. It’s why I stopped watching basketball. The guys always look tense in the tournament, and that’s a reflection of our head coach.

Honestly, I dont like saying it either.....just frustrating to see it end that way, Ill be ready to cheer next season....

Bama just got beat, 😆. So the path was there to the title game w/ Kansas State being the biggest challenge. Oh well.

I wonder what people are saying about the Purdue coach. ;););)
Purdue’s coach sucks. Got bounced by a 16 seed. Purdue is not a final 4 program. Yak,yak, yak. How quickly these geniuses forget that it was not that long ago Tennessee could not make the tournament. They can’t wait to run Barnes off so we can hire another Cuonzo. I mean, the greatest coaches in the world are just pining away for the Tennessee job. Barnes will be gone soon enough and so will sweet 16 s, SEC championships, lottery picks and the rest of it. Tennessee might make a great hire when he retires, but as history has shown that is not likely.

Reactions: Good2bavol
Lack of focus did the Vols in, IMO, and I think that's a byproduct of the uber- fast-paced, somewhat chaotic way they play the game. To my eye, we often fail to get into the type of familiar rhythm that results in shots coming off the hands in a relaxed and confident motion, but instead are too often stress-shooting, if that makes sense.

With a true point guard some of that helter-skelter energy is controlled and redirected, but without one everyone is in chaos and, to loosely paraphrase a Bernard Cornwell quote, what begins in chaos will end in chaos.

I'd like to see Barnes go to extra EXTRA effort to earn his salary in the offseason by seeking out ideas for adapting his sporadically successful system into one that is more consistent -- and less chaotic.

Reactions: volfeeva

VN Store

Back