I hope Rick Barnes realizes

Or....he left because he was never going to get full support at UT because he wasn't a white male.

And he left Cal because Mizzou is a better job than Cal and its near home for him...

He could have been green and been saddled with the impossible task of following Pearl. Color wasn't the deciding factor. Martin's personality had more to do with his demise and the fact that he was a young developing coach from a coaching tree whose style of basketball is less than fan friendly.

Reactions: 3 people
He could have been green and been saddled with the impossible task of following Pearl. Color wasn't the deciding factor. Martin's personality had more to do with his demise and the fact that he was a young developing coach from a coaching tree whose style of basketball is less than fan friendly.

I agree. I don't think race was the driver. Coach Martin wasn't embraced by many of UT's "fans" mainly because he wasn't Pearl and partially because his coaching style and personality weren't flashy enough. That's not altogether different from the reception provided for Coach Barnes.

Reactions: 1 person
Or....he left because he was never going to get full support at UT because he wasn't a white male.

And he left Cal because Mizzou is a better job than Cal and its near home for him...

^^^ your spin...... my spin..... he left Knoxville due to the weather and went to cal for better weather.......

see how I can spin anything to make it fit my narrative?? Stop playing the race card. In the NCAA, NFL, NBA, MLB etc.... its about W's and L's and that's it, why is Harrison playing for the Pat's in his 40's??? Oh its cause he's black??? Nope. Its cause he can play.

I agree. I don't think race was the driver. Coach Martin wasn't embraced by many of UT's "fans" mainly because he wasn't Pearl and partially because his coaching style and personality weren't flashy enough. That's not altogether different from the reception provided for Coach Barnes.

exactly, the receptions for both coaches are basically the same.... however barnes has rattled off a lot of wins for a team picked to be 13th in the SEC, he is getting praise now for his ability to win games, not cause he is white.

Cuonzo wasn't embraced by the UT fans because he was failing to get to the NCAAT. To say it's because he was black is just flat out stupid.

Don Devoe wasn't anything like Ray Mears. But he was accepted because he beat Kentucky three times, won the SECT, and got an NCAAT invite in his first year. What did Cuonzo do? 0-1 or 1-1 in the NIT?

Reactions: 2 people
Cuonzo wasn't embraced by the UT fans because he was failing to get to the NCAAT. To say it's because he was black is just flat out stupid.

It is stupid. It doesn't mean it isn't true. I'm sure a small portion of the fans feel this way.

On the flip side, there's a small portion that embrace him and still do because of race. It doesn't matter he's an average coach

Its importance is high because its the next game. Not because of who coaches the other team.

It is stupid. It doesn't mean it isn't true. I'm sure a small portion of the fans feel this way.

On the flip side, there's a small portion that embrace him and still do because of race. It doesn't matter he's an average coach

Those fans are in California and Missouri as well. TN doesn't have exclusivity on dumb asses.

If Counzo loses, I wonder if there will be any dumba**, inbred, mentally challenged individuals starting a petition for Norm Stewart as their coach?

How important this game vs Missouri is to many of us Vol fans. Frankly, I supported Martin all the way to the end despite lackluster efforts until the last month run in his last season. I didnt appreciate the way he left.

Barnes didn’t have his team ready vs Auburn (another important game for Vol fans). I hope he does better tomorrow c

If you remember before our run in the DANCE 80 percent of Vol Fans wanted him gone.:rock:

How important this game vs Missouri is to many of us Vol fans. Frankly, I supported Martin all the way to the end despite lackluster efforts until the last month run in his last season. I didnt appreciate the way he left.

Barnes didn’t have his team ready vs Auburn (another important game for Vol fans). I hope he does better tomorrow c

Don't take what I am about to say and go extreme on me BUT the fans and the media did talk real badly about Martin his last season.
Yes, it may have been warranted because we didn't play up to our potentional BUT when he took us to the Elite 8, everyone wanted to be his best friend.
I don't blame him for wanting to leave. He realized that basketball is 2nd to football at Tennessee and he also realized that his best players were leaving and if the following season was bad, then he would end up being fired.
So, he got out on a good note.

Don't take what I am about to say and go extreme on me BUT the fans and the media did talk real badly about Martin his last season.
Yes, it may have been warranted because we didn't play up to our potentional BUT when he took us to the Elite 8, everyone wanted to be his best friend.
I don't blame him for wanting to leave. He realized that basketball is 2nd to football at Tennessee and he also realized that his best players were leaving and if the following season was bad, then he would end up being fired.
So, he got out on a good note.

1. Fans weren’t talking bad about him really. They were just ready to move on.
2. He wanted to leave to restart his clock. Had nothing to do with Tennessee football.
3. Cuonzo Martin NEVER TOOK US OR ANYONE ELSE TO THE ELITE 8!!!!! Why do people keep saying that?!?!

It's an important game because Mizzou is a quality opponent that we need to beat in order to stay ranked and get a good seed in the tournament. Who cares who's coaching them?

1. Fans weren’t talking bad about him really. They were just ready to move on.
2. He wanted to leave to restart his clock. Had nothing to do with Tennessee football.
3. Cuonzo Martin NEVER TOOK US OR ANYONE ELSE TO THE ELITE 8!!!!! Why do people keep saying that?!?!

Elite Eight of the SEC Tournament.

I don't see why all the Cuonzo hate. I know he didn't do good here but he wasn't exactly treated well once he started losing. Does that mean he didn't deserve to be fired? No, but you can't treat someone with disrespect and expect to receive it. I remember some fans being pretty hard on him on here. That's probably why he left. It happens though and I get it. I don't hold anything against the man. He just didn't succeed here.

Here's to a W tomorrow.
Don’t think the word hate applies here. I just want to win regardless. I pulled for Zo when he was here but now he’s gone I couldn’t care less.

I don't see why all the Cuonzo hate. I know he didn't do good here but he wasn't exactly treated well once he started losing. Does that mean he didn't deserve to be fired? No, but you can't treat someone with disrespect and expect to receive it. I remember some fans being pretty hard on him on here. That's probably why he left. It happens though and I get it. I don't hold anything against the man. He just didn't succeed here.

Here's to a W tomorrow.

He wasn't fired. He quit.

I know man. My fired statement was for the people who was calling for his head.

The attendance was still top 10 and he was supported fine the first 2 seasons. Fans even gave him a mulligan for his first season because the slow start cost them an NCAAT bid and we were playing well at the end of the season. Same for season 2.

People turned because season 3 he did the same thing, started slow and had to play catch up. People were tired of him waiting until the season was half over before turning it on and it was looking like for the 3rd straight year we’d miss the NCAAT.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back