I have a name for you one of Phil Garners coaches

Doug Mansolino, 33 years of professional baseball, 13 in the major leagues, been in a World Series, all-star game both while with the Astros. Interim bench coach with 2008 Phillies, world Champions. Amer. League championship series with Chi WS, currently Field coordinator for the Phillies minor league system which won more games than any Org. in baseball last year. Has managed in the minor leagues, coached in college, was actually Chris Burke's coach in the Big Leagues and is a local resident. I believe he comes with Phil Garners endorsement. How come no one has mentioned his name? Has anyone even reached out to him.

Hello Doug. I'm reaching out to you.

how's that?

I couldn't disagree with this more. People here have an inflated view of talent in state. Friend of mine told me there was a 72 mph righty facing a 68mph lefty against each other in the AAA state tourney. Said it was the worst he had seen it in 20 years. Facilities aren't the issue. Tennesse has on par facilities with Programs doing well in the SEC.

I think I tend to agree with what you are saying if I am hearing it right. Who cares where they come from if they are good and want to be a BaseVol?

Any idea who he was watching? Dobyns Bennett, Jeff Co., Stewarts Creek, and Brentwood are all still in I think. Any of those guys could be throwing a young arm to burn innings or because that's all they have left that day...or dueling change ups...heck I don't know didn't see the games. The speed of the pitching probably wasn't the only issue with the game though. I have seen good tournament ball at those speeds, but it was middle school. Any of those schools could produce a big arm some years also. Andrew Lee and Zach Lingenfelter both came from the IMAC for example?

I get that not every single talented guy in the state is going to go to UT or would even be a good fit at UT. If a good player wants the wrong color orange then good luck at Clemson or Florida or wherever you land dude. What bugs me is guys that would have rather been at UT at first, but wound up somewhere else like Raby at Vandy, or Cottam at UK, or Will Crowe at USC...that's just a few.

Facilities are not the reason we miss on good guys IMHO. I heard I guy say "you get a feeling and you just know". It is the coaches, their staff, and the recruiting process they employ that creates that feeling. Everybody wants to fit in and feel like they are special. Great recruiters know how to get it done.

That said we could help our cause with some facility stuff. Winning will solve that.

I get that not every single talented guy in the state is going to go to UT or would even be a good fit at UT. If a good player wants the wrong color orange then good luck at Clemson or Florida or wherever you land dude. What bugs me is guys that would have rather been at UT at first, but wound up somewhere else like Raby at Vandy, or Cottam at UK, or Will Crowe at USC...that's just a few.

Story I heard was that Crowe was always a USC guy. They didn't steal him from UT. UT wasn't really in the picture. Could be wrong, that's just what I heard.

Story I heard was that Crowe was always a USC guy. They didn't steal him from UT. UT wasn't really in the picture. Could be wrong, that's just what I heard.

Ive heard that story too. Ive also heard someone ask " why doesn't TN show any interest"? You can't be robbed of something you don't have.It covers both sides well though...a player that left and UT who missed. Even if WC is a bad example..imo hes not..but even if he is my point is still the same. The Great State of Tennessee has good baseball players. Some are or will be great.I would expect the number to be up in some years and down in others but even if it went all the way down to 1, my hope is UT will have a coach,staff,and recruiting process that makes him want to play for the Vols.Especially if that guy has any orange blood in his veins...1 drop.

High School Talent level in East Tenn was definitely down this year. No great teams and while there were some very good players, there were very few great players......the kind that have a lot of MLB scouts hanging around.

From what I heard, UT was slow in recruiting Crowe and he had already moved on by the time the Vols decided they wanted him.

Reactions: 1 person
And there in lies the problem with in state recruiting for Tennessee. You just can't spend big % on instate players and win.

Not really. The former head coach just didn't think he was worthy of anything more than a token offer.

I heard the story straight from family, BV. Don't try to defend the indefensible.

Not really. The former head coach just didn't think he was worthy of anything more than a token offer.

I heard the story straight from family, BV. Don't try to defend the indefensible.

I am speaking more in generalities. In state named schools shouldn't have to offer high % to get players. We do and then still don't get most of them. So what's the point? Might as well just go out of state

I am speaking more in generalities. In state named schools shouldn't have to offer high % to get players. We do and then still don't get most of them. So what's the point? Might as well just go out of state

Why? It's not like Crowe wasn't being recruited by other good baseball programs. UT simply mis-evaluated him, like they did on so many East Tennessee kids during the previous coach's tenure. It's that simple.

Why? It's not like Crowe wasn't being recruited by other good baseball programs. UT simply mis-evaluated him, like they did on so many East Tennessee kids during the previous coach's tenure. It's that simple.

Give me the list of those they misevaluated.

Crowe, craig and owenby is all I have. You can make a much much longer list for other SEC schools for players they misevaluated. The point is all schools make mistakes in their backyards and our list is very short because the states talent level sucks.

Raby wasn't misevaluated as he was recruited hard. Breazeale has had a good career

Add Dakota Hudson to that list.

And there have been numerous guys coming out of Walters State who have ended up elsewhere because they were ignored who could have help the UT program.

You are really grasping at straws on this one.

Reactions: 2 people
Add Dakota Hudson to that list.

And there have been numerous guys coming out of Walters State who have ended up elsewhere because they were ignored who could have help the UT program.

You are really grasping at straws on this one.

Count Hudson if you like but again the list isn't that long. The list is much longer at other SEC schools. Yes Tennesse should have recruited Walters State much better.

The state of Tn is hard to Recruit because of the way the state lays. West TN has lots of talent that goes else where. OL MS and MS State is getting MOST of the West TN Talent because of Geographic's...IMO... Yes it's IN-STATE but it's closer to Home for WEST TN teams to go to these Schools...Most kids had rather go closer to Home..
Whomever UT hires will take on an extremely hard job of Recruiting the State. I have heard so many Complaints about Recruiting the State...It's an Extremely tough Chore. The TOP TRAVEL organizations in the State make things somewhat better but not 100 percent.. Check the MS Schools and See what Organizations are sending kids where. I think I read one Article to say that ONE SINGLE Organization had 13 players on one SEC roster....the SEC team is having Success too... Coaches are busy Coaching...We need a guy to come in and Build Relationships with the Top Organizations and GET out and SEE these kids play and LET the Kids know they are INVESTED....One Example last year: I heard that Corbin was personally in OK watching TEAM TN play in the Sun-Belt...heard several of those kids say " He's a GOOD Dude"...the Kid's want to see Faces...That's my take...They WANT to FEEL WANTED TO A PROGRAM....And By the way. I LOVE UT BASEBALL and I hope this thing GETS Turned around so UT COMPETES and has a chance at the NCAA Tournament year in and Year out.. I don't think that's to un-realistic TBH.

Another big name that comes to mind is Senzel. UT didn't even really recruit him. He ended up coming here by shear luck.

BREAKING NEWS: The past is in the past and there is nothing anyone can do to change it. Let's get this train rolling and hire the coach that will have us competing for SEC Championships annually.

VN Store

Back