I believe it's possible....

I never bought in on this years team. Felt it was 7-5 or 8-4 and posted that several times. Just didn't believe that the Milton we saw vs Clemson was real....especially when the guys he was throwing to are now in the NFL. No telling how many years we'll have with Nico or if he's going to be as good as folks hope. The schedule is going to see a jump in difficulty with OU and Texas joining and this new rotation of opponents. I know Heupel is a players coach, but I really believe he just has to make some hard decisions on some the players on this roster. There was a time when I felt it was just wrong to run a kid off, but with the portal, I don't feel the same. Heupel needs to identify kids who simply were poor evals and send them elsewhere. We need every spot we can get for the portal in order to give Nico the best chance at success. If Heupel can't win with what was arguably the #1 QB recruit, that would have me questioning his development if I were a HS star QB and his family. Not saying go full Prime Time on his roster, but we need a real haul on both lines, TE, WR and somehow, someway a backup QB. Guess we could turn to a true freshman if Nico gets injured, but that's a big, big ask. Each year I pick 2-3 guys that we just couldn't afford to lose to injury. This year it was Mayes and Pili. Two important leaders. Lost 'em both for varying amounts of time, but it kneecapped our season IMO. Can't believe this old man is saying this, but it's gitshirts, NIL and portal time....in a very, very big way...at UT.

When exactly do you make this annual “pick” of players we can’t afford to lose. I must’ve missed it this year, unless it happened after the fact. We lost to Bama due to depth. Depth isn’t built in one season, or even three. It takes many classes being developed to get there. Our last class is almost unimpeachable on hit rate. The freshman are all excellent and developing. That does not cover the glaring hole in our OL and other long development positions. Those problems have grown over years. We were lucky that we started with Wright, Mayes 2x and Carvin. That party is over. We did very well in the portal last year, and filled holes at LB, DB and on the lines. All are contributing, with the exception of Pilli, who would’ve been the biggest contributor of all. The portal is not Costco. There are a very limited amount of high quality players who want to leave and fit a new system well. It’s much easier to find developed skill players than developed line or LB. That said, our coaches have done very well. We will still not match the talent and depth of the top two SEC programs next year. The following year, we will be close. Unfortunately much of our fan base misunderstands how the world works. Great players in the portal are not Beanie Babies that go to the highest bidder. We’ve done well in attracting great players during an unstable time. We should do even better as we develop talent, win more, and retain players and coaches long term. Until then, put your pacifier back into the talking hole.

I'm just fine if they win 10 games and go back to a New Year's 6 bowl game. It's obvious now just how much talent UT lost last year and if they come out of this year losing no ground with Nico as the next QB I feel like this is a huge W for the program.
With a competent, consistent QB we are 7-0 right now. That's the real talent that we lost, and while hindsight is 20/20, the decision to ride or die with Milton be the only viable option wasn't a good one.

Anything is possible, but it doesn't seem probable. This team has a mixture of talent levels with varying degrees of depth that can't always overcome the inconsistency or mistakes. If you have elite talent, you can overcome a sluggish game or some inconsistent play. We're getting there: we have a solid coach(es), talent is improving, and things are bright.....just probably not 2023 10-2 bright

This team still has a decent chance to completely redeem itself and win out the rest of the year. It's not going to be easy especially with 2 SEC road games left but if this team pulls itself together and repeats how they performed in the 1st half of the Bama game, not only do I think they can win their toad games but also put a beat down on the Dawgs. I'm more worried about Mizzou now than I am about Georgia, not because I think Mizzou is better but because playing a road game is harder for this UT team than playing at home in front of a frenzied crowd.

I'm not saying I believe this will happen but I am not without hope that this team is good enough to run the table and end with the same record as last year. We just have to fix the coaching mistakes and not let our foot off the gas again and I think they can get it done.
Not going to happen. The team is average at best. They need to give Nico some playing time at Kentucky. Let's move on to the future!!!

:rolleyes:

If you don't believe it's gonna happen then why create a thread about it?

Either you believe they will win out or you are grounded in reality. Choose one.

"Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Missouri, and Ole Miss could lose every remaining SEC game on their schedules. Not saying I believe it's going to happen, but I believe it could happen."

Reactions: orange blossom
:rolleyes:

If you don't believe it's gonna happen then why create a thread about it?

Either you believe they will win out or you are grounded in reality. Choose one.

"Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Missouri, and Ole Miss could lose every remaining SEC game on their schedules. Not saying I believe it's going to happen, but I believe it could happen."
Like the thread title says. I believe it's POSSIBLE. If UT was playing Georgia on the road I would believe it was IMPOSSIBLE. See how that works?

I'm not predicting that they WILL win out but I believe they are capable of winning out given how the schedule falls.

This team still has a decent chance to completely redeem itself and win out the rest of the year. It's not going to be easy especially with 2 SEC road games left but if this team pulls itself together and repeats how they performed in the 1st half of the Bama game, not only do I think they can win their toad games but also put a beat down on the Dawgs. I'm more worried about Mizzou now than I am about Georgia, not because I think Mizzou is better but because playing a road game is harder for this UT team than playing at home in front of a frenzied crowd.

I'm not saying I believe this will happen but I am not without hope that this team is good enough to run the table and end with the same record as last year. We just have to fix the coaching mistakes and not let our foot off the gas again and I think they can get it done.
That will never happen! We are average at best!

Reactions: orange blossom
I never bought in on this years team. Felt it was 7-5 or 8-4 and posted that several times. Just didn't believe that the Milton we saw vs Clemson was real....especially when the guys he was throwing to are now in the NFL. No telling how many years we'll have with Nico or if he's going to be as good as folks hope. The schedule is going to see a jump in difficulty with OU and Texas joining and this new rotation of opponents. I know Heupel is a players coach, but I really believe he just has to make some hard decisions on some the players on this roster. There was a time when I felt it was just wrong to run a kid off, but with the portal, I don't feel the same. Heupel needs to identify kids who simply were poor evals and send them elsewhere. We need every spot we can get for the portal in order to give Nico the best chance at success. If Heupel can't win with what was arguably the #1 QB recruit, that would have me questioning his development if I were a HS star QB and his family. Not saying go full Prime Time on his roster, but we need a real haul on both lines, TE, WR and somehow, someway a backup QB. Guess we could turn to a true freshman if Nico gets injured, but that's a big, big ask. Each year I pick 2-3 guys that we just couldn't afford to lose to injury. This year it was Mayes and Pili. Two important leaders. Lost 'em both for varying amounts of time, but it kneecapped our season IMO. Can't believe this old man is saying this, but it's gitshirts, NIL and portal time....in a very, very big way...at UT.
Neither Hyatt or Tillman played in that game. The receiving stats from the OB look like they could have been from a game this year, minus Fant.

1698279428610.png

I think he will get drafted but its alot to ask a player to return to college for his 5th year.
Not in the NIL era. Find out where he grades out in the preliminary NFL draft model. If it's not very high, estimate what his initial contract would be, based on his draft stock and just top it with NIL money. Make it more financially feasible to come back as opposed to going in the draft.

Like the thread title says. I believe it's POSSIBLE. If UT was playing Georgia on the road I would believe it was IMPOSSIBLE. See how that works?

I'm not predicting that they WILL win out but I believe they are capable of winning out given how the schedule falls.
Subjective phrasing. I believe it's possible that you may one day walk on the moon.

If you don't walk on the moon, no big deal or impact to me because, hey I only said it was possible, but if you do, I look like a genius and say, "I knew it."

There is no need for redemption. Florida is an unacceptable loss, but most Florida losses are, unfortunately.

Alabama is just better. Tennessee didn't play a full game and caught some bad official breaks.

This team won't beat Georgia, but they have a chance.

This team will beat Kentucky like a drum. Missouri is a toss up. The rest will be easy W's.

One issue is that Georgia is on a phenomenal run right now. One of the best in College Football. They are up there with 2000-2002 Miami, 2003-2005 USC, 1994-1997 Nebraska, or 2009-2014 Alabama type runs. Georgia might actually see themselves as one of the best runs in history if they win this year.

Asking Tennessee to win the SEC East is literally like asking Tennessee to dethrone a major dynasty. With 2 losses, Georgia has to lose twice now to even open the door. Florida also has to lose. I just don't see it.

Be happy that Tennessee is a competitive program again and not a 5-7 to 6-6 type program. Asking Tennessee to dethrone Georgia right now is a TALL order. I know their fans like Uncle Lou are annoying as can be, just ask them what position they play for Georgia and that will shut them up :). Fans don't win games, players and coaches win games.

Enjoy the fact that we are even able to watch a game and play in it and we are not dealing with war, economic collapse, COVID-19, etc. because a lot of the world outside our bubble are dealing with a lot worse issues.

The secondary is still awful and the QB play is ok at best. I’m expecting at least 2 more L’s but I really hope you are right and I’m very wrong!

One issue is that Georgia is on a phenomenal run right now. One of the best in College Football. They are up there with 2000-2002 Miami, 2003-2005 USC, 1994-1997 Nebraska, or 2009-2014 Alabama type runs. Georgia might actually see themselves as one of the best runs in history if they win this year.

Asking Tennessee to win the SEC East is literally like asking Tennessee to dethrone a major dynasty. With 2 losses, Georgia has to lose twice now to even open the door. Florida also has to lose. I just don't see it.

Be happy that Tennessee is a competitive program again and not a 5-7 to 6-6 type program. Asking Tennessee to dethrone Georgia right now is a TALL order. I know their fans like Uncle Lou are annoying as can be, just ask them what position they play for Georgia and that will shut them up :). Fans don't win games, players and coaches win games.

Enjoy the fact that we are even able to watch a game and play in it and we are not dealing with war, economic collapse, COVID-19, etc. because a lot of the world outside our bubble are dealing with a lot worse issues.
What’s interesting is two out of the four teams you mentioned had serious NCAA violations that came out after those historic runs. No way Georgia’s running a clean program and we know Alabama never has. It just sucks that they’re the top two right now.

Reactions: volbound1700
Subjective phrasing. I believe it's possible that you may one day walk on the moon.

If you don't walk on the moon, no big deal or impact to me because, hey I only said it was possible, but if you do, I look like a genius and say, "I knew it."
I phrased it like that for a reason so that people realized I wasn't making a prediction.

It's possible UT does it because we get Georgia at home. I would say it's completely impossible if we played Georgia on the road.

It's about what's possible and impossible not what will or won't happen. I will never say what UT will or won't do because they would immediately do the opposite even if it's completely likely LOL I've seen UT snatch defeat from the jaws of victory way too many times.

Reactions: JRich
Win out our or not they do not control their own destiny to win the east, which was my hope. As of right now, it's almost out of the question. Beating Georgia, them losing another game, and Tennessee winning out is the only way to get to Atlanta.
If we win out it is hardly out of the question. The toughest thing would be Georgia losing twice. But Florida could easily lose another and we do control our destiny with Missouri. The main thing is to take care of our own business. GBO

VN Store

Back