Hyams on Alexis Johnson

In other words.. Get your pads

Pretty much but Butch will probably add something else onto this. I say even though he's been cleared of any wrong-doing he still was in consideration of committing a crime. He's going to suspend him a game or two is what I predict. That's just how I feel about it. He may even end up taking a redshirt season.

Pretty much but Butch will probably add something else onto this. I say even though he's been cleared of any wrong-doing he still was in consideration of committing a crime. He's going to suspend him a game or two is what I predict. That's just how I feel about it. He may even end up taking a redshirt season.

Suspending after you have been cleared is like getting like returning a tax refund due to a clerical error..

He's been suspended 8 months already

Reactions: 6 people

I don't see that. He's already been punished for months for something that he's already been cleared of. To me, the only question is when will be reinstated? Soon, or in October when his probation period is up?

Also, if he winds up red shirting it won't be an extension of his punishment as you're seeming to suggest.....it'll be because he's not ready to play IMHO.

He's been suspended 8 months already

So. I'm just going by Butch & how tough he is on player that gets into trouble whether it ends up true or not. He has suspended players one game before over other criminal cases to this but I can't remember the player this happened to.

I don't see that. He's already been punished for months for something that he's already been cleared of. To me, the only question is when will be reinstated? Soon, or in October when his probation period is up?

Also, if he winds up red shirting it won't be an extension of his punishment as you're seeming to suggest.....it'll be because he's not ready to play IMHO.

I'm only saying if Butch decides to suspend Johnson for anymore than 2-3 games then yes it would be best for him to probably redshirt because he's got to get into playing condition 1st. That won't come after 2-3 games unless they allow him to start practicing as soon as possible. Thanks!

That's a dangerous precedent to set. Gotta set rules and standards inside the program and not worry about the business of other programs. Butch has seemingly done a good job implementing and sticking to that very plan. Not to mention that Johnson's charges were domestic violence related and Tennessee can't afford to err on the side of too much leniency with issues involving violence against women, because of the Title IX stuff.

So sick of these guys being judged guilty before any facts come out, all for the sake of politics.

Reactions: 3 people
Good grief if he was at Bama he would have been at practice this afternoon. I see no reason to keep him sidelined now. Let him practice, who knows he may still red-shirt but for sure I would get him in pads and see what kind of shape he is in. GO VOLS!!

Reactions: 3 people
So. I'm just going by Butch & how tough he is on player that gets into trouble whether it ends up true or not. He has suspended players one game before over other criminal cases to this but I can't remember the player this happened to.

I'm only saying if Butch decides to suspend Johnson for anymore than 2-3 games then yes it would be best for him to probably redshirt because he's got to get into playing condition 1st. That won't come after 2-3 games unless they allow him to start practicing as soon as possible. Thanks!

I honestly don't think he suspends him at all game wise. I do think there's a decent chance he redshirts since we're 3 weeks from the season starting, he's been away from the team for so long and he very likely has a ton of work to do to get into game shape and up to speed so that he can contribute. Got a hill to climb IMO. Hope Butch reinstates him soon and gets him out there ASAP. Kid has already been through some serious ish since arriving on campus 8 months ago.

Reactions: 1 person
Good grief if he was at Bama he would have been at practice this afternoon. I see no reason to keep him sidelined now. Let him practice, who knows he may still red-shirt but for sure I would get him in pads and see what kind of shape he is in. GO VOLS!!

He would've never been suspended if he was at Bama

Reactions: 7 people

I hear that! Florida wasted zero time getting Callaway back on the field as well.

Reactions: 2 people
Our DT depth has gone from being without Shy and Alexis to possibly:

Kmac
O'Brien
Tuttle
Vickers
A. Johnson
Picou

I feel a lot better.

No clue. Guess it's possible he red shirts..

A sighting at media day would be promising...

He won't be at media day... You want those guys feasting on that topic?? Not happening.

His first day back would likely be a closed practice.

Kmac
O'Brien
Tuttle
Vickers
A. Johnson
Picou

I feel a lot better.

WOW, you didn't list P. Bain - you gonna be hurtin' soon, friend.

For shame, nor C. Folger, 5th year SR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Kmac
O'Brien
Tuttle
Vickers
A. Johnson
Picou

I feel a lot better.

I think we were going to be fine at DT even if Johnson didn't make it back. We also have Butcher that can play a hybrid DT/DE because he put on about 30lbs.

I think he's at either 270 or 275 now. We are literally at least 6 deep now at DT with Alexis being able to come back. Make Bain & Butcher a #7-#8 deep! :)

I don't believe Callaway ever dealt with the police

The girl refused to file a police report because she didn't want her name released. Callaway was always going to skate as long as the matter was handled in-house. If the girl's attorney hadn't gone public with her refusal to attend the hearing, nobody would have known Callaway was even accused.

I don't think that Butch suspends players because there are pending legal charges (well, not solely.)

Butch also suspends players for getting into dumb-ass situations that could hurt the team by distracting everyone from football. He is expecting his players to act with a certain amount of common sense and (who knows) class.

While Alexis Johnson seems to be pretty much cleared of charges, it does seem like he was being a dumbazz in the first place, and that's the lesson Butch wants to enforce: act like your brain is in control. Time to conduct yourself like a grown man. It can be a hard transition to university life for these elite athletes. jmo imo tifwiw mph twss etc

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back