Hyams on 104.5 11/5/12

^^This. Ever since he announced he was gonna be a Dad I've pretty much assumed he'd leave us for the pros. Too bad because as good as he is he could benefit from another season. It would also give him another year to rehab that knee because the pros are going to hit him hard. However, it's hard to turn down that much money right now as opposed to later on.

That said, I don't think he's intentionally protecting his knee for the pros and certainly not as much as people think. Sometimes, yes, but it also takes a lot longer than people realize to recover from that kind of injury and a lot of it's psychological. He took some good risks with his body during the Troy game. Hopefully that will help him conquer some of those fears.
He is going to make it big in the pros...

^^This. Ever since he announced he was gonna be a Dad I've pretty much assumed he'd leave us for the pros. Too bad because as good as he is he could benefit from another season. It would also give him another year to rehab that knee because the pros are going to hit him hard. However, it's hard to turn down that much money right now as opposed to later on.

That said, I don't think he's intentionally protecting his knee for the pros and certainly not as much as people think. Sometimes, yes, but it also takes a lot longer than people realize to recover from that kind of injury and a lot of it's psychological. He took some good risks with his body during the Troy game. Hopefully that will help him conquer some of those fears.

I agree. I'm taking it that most here don't watch Reggie Wayne play. He makes catches turns and if knows he's gonna get hit drops. Yes it can be frustrating for a fan, but in the long run its much better for him and the team. It prevents him from getting injured and getting injured fighting for maybe another yard or 2 would just be stupid.

Your timing isn't the best to pose that rhetorical question. Oregon just gave up 52 points, 484 yds. passing and 615 yds. total offense vs. USC. Of course, the Quack Attack racked up 62 pts., 730 yds. total offense, of which 426 were on the ground.

The larger question that begs to be answered is that, with very few exceptions, what is happening to defensive play in general in college football?

You are talking about a team that has a heisman candidate quarterback, top three wide receiver and and running back(redd) that we were wishing for, oh and the #12 team in the nation. We gave up almost the same numbers to..TROY...

Uhh, they gave up more points on Saturday night than the Vols. Granted it was against USC, but USC failed to break 20 against Stanford.

Uhh. they only scored 14 points against North Texas!!!!!
Troy that is.

The academic change was necessary. UT is much more prestigious than where it was sitting a decade ago solely to get idiots on the football team. There are smart kids out there who can play football, it's just a matter of going out to get them.

:blink: Ummmm. Not trying to pick a fight here, but has anyone checked the college rankings lately. UT is either ranked 100 or 101 depending on which list you look at. We are one of the lowest ranked colleges, when it comes to quality of undergraduate education, in the SEC.

I can't even get my son, a straight A student, to consider Tennessee. I think there are problems way beyond the football program and have been for years. I seriously question Jimmy Cheeks abilities in his position.

The academic change was necessary. UT is much more prestigious than where it was sitting a decade ago solely to get idiots on the football team. There are smart kids out there who can play football, it's just a matter of going out to get them.

UGA, UF, and UA are all better academic institutions than UT and all have better football programs. Im sure every one of those guys would've gotten in if they were normal students. Your argument is noble but doesn't hold water when you compare athletics and academics of the aforementioned schools.

Our defense hasn't been effective at any number of snaps. The opposing offenses have had our defense figured out from the first series. It's not hard to figure out that we can't stop anyone. If we slow the game down, the final score may be lower but the margin isn't likely to change. There really isn't any difference in beating Troy 24-17 than 55-48, other than appearances.

you are right ..
but it is typical for the O to be ahead of the D early and the D to catch up and adjust over the game
They cant adjust if they are back on the field in 2 min
Also , the less snaps a staff anticipates ( by setting their pace ) the mjore they can zero in at practice on a set amount of material.
Finally , a bad defense that is tired is going to be worse than a bad D that is not tired

please leave

I'm terribly sorry that you miss the days of hearing about idiot football players robbing convenient stores, getting DUI's all the time, and a bunch of other acts that were a constant disgrace to the school. :good!:

:blink: Ummmm. Not trying to pick a fight here, but has anyone checked the college rankings lately. UT is either ranked 100 or 101 depending on which list you look at. We are one of the lowest ranked colleges, when it comes to quality of undergraduate education, in the SEC.

I can't even get my son, a straight A student, to consider Tennessee. I think there are problems way beyond the football program and have been for years. I seriously question Jimmy Cheeks abilities in his position.

link or you're it aint true

and if it's he's in a Tennessee public school then straight A's are nothing to brag about and he probably should consider UT.

link or you're it aint true

and if it's he's in a Tennessee public school then straight A's are nothing to brag about and he probably should consider UT.

Well, to begin with, I'm not a straight A student, so I'm not good at posting links. But, if you would care to check the US News and World Report annual issue of best college rankings, we've been around 100 or so for about the past five years. We're also ranked right around the same area in the USA Today rankings. Remember, these rankings are of overall quality of undergrad education. Every college has it's specialties in different graduate schools.

As to my son, while I was born and raised in Tennessee, and went to TN public schools, we now live in Virginia. He is a much better student than I was in a much better school system. He probably knows how to post a link here. Alas, he's focused on Va Tech because of their highly rated architecture school.

No matter, Ima VFL, and that ain't changin.

Reactions: 1 person
Blah, blah, blah.....Tennessee public schools suck and all students in them are stupid.....blah, blah, blah......US News and World Report......blah, blah, blah....Top 25 research university.....blah, blah, blah, yackety yack.
Snore....................

Reactions: 1 person
UGA, UF, and UA are all better academic institutions than UT and all have better football programs. Im sure every one of those guys would've gotten in if they were normal students. Your argument is noble but doesn't hold water when you compare athletics and academics of the aforementioned schools.

Why are they better? Just because they rank higher in US News and World Report? Who the f*** even READS US News and World Report?
And how credible is a magazine that ranks the Teabaggers over UT in academics? Really? Do you honestly believe that? If so, you are pretty d*** gullible.

I am a UT Arch Grad and the joke around the architects in Atlanta is that they use Crayons at Va Tech. All theory - no practical application.

Just kidding - I have met several good architects from Va Tech.

VFL

You are talking about a team that has a heisman candidate quarterback, top three wide receiver and and running back(redd) that we were wishing for, oh and the #12 team in the nation. We gave up almost the same numbers to..TROY...

Notwithstanding the fact that our defense is just plain horrible, I wouldn't be surprised if that attitude, "it's only Troy," didn't partially contribute to the positively abyssmal performance last week. They don't play the same caliber of schedule that we play, but, nevertheless, Troy is ranked 15th nationally in total offense ( Total Offense - NCAA.com ). We are 18th at 485.11 ypg, and USC is 25th at 464.67.

I simply said that Oregon's defense is nothing to brag about and it isn't. They are capable of outscoring virtually everyone that they play. Their defense clearly is significantly better than ours but they are ranked 50th in total defense, yielding roughly 381 ypg ( Total Defense - NCAA.com ) , and 40th in scoring defense (ca. 23 pts./game) .

VN Store

Back