How worried should we be about Percy?

Thanks for the clip summitgator. Welcome to the board. Here's to no one on either team getting injured.

GO VOLS! BEAT FLORIDA!

I dunno. Leak threw all over us his sophomore year. He had trouble last year, but I think that was largely because of Meyer's offense. Meyer has retooled the offense a bit to accommodate Leak's skills. I expect Leak to play well. People on this board tend to think he's a wimp that can't take physical football or handle pressure. I'm sure Gator fans are saying the same thing about Ainge.
This is why I think the Vols have to really pressure Leak to win. In my mind I think pass defense begins and ends with the pass rush, DB's are damage control after the fact. You can take a mediocre QB and WR'S....match them against the finest DB's you can put in......give that QB 4 seconds and he'll pick you apart. Its all about making the QB act before he's ready, and before the WR's get their routes run. Id rather send a safety or corner blitz and go man to man than sit in a zone and watch the chains move every 2 plays. The gators will run quick 2 second slant routes and curls, the corners should jam on the line of scrimmage. You take away their short pass game and all they have is sprint draw runs, shovel passes , and screens. Linebackers... you gotta be patient and let the front 4 push upfield...LB's need to sit back and contain the screens, and help on slants. IMO

. There is no doubt he's going to be an impact player in the future at any level barring injury.

I agree he is going to be a big time player in the future but he is the least of my worries for this game. I watched that clip a couple of days ago along with another from the first game and to me the opposition just didn't have the speed to shut him down. Most of his yardage was a product of poor tackling/lack of speed on defense but I guess the same could be said for Robert Meachem so who knows. I am alot more concerned about Baker than I am Harvin.....next year may be a different story.

I agree he is going to be a big time player in the future but he is the least of my worries for this game. I watched that clip a couple of days ago along with another from the first game and to me the opposition just didn't have the speed to shut him down. Most of his yardage was a product of poor tackling/lack of speed on defense but I guess the same could be said for Robert Meachem so who knows. I am alot more concerned about Baker than I am Harvin.....next year may be a different story.

I agree about being more concerned about Baker. He's bigger, a senior, and has played in this atmosphere before.

How many personal fouls has Baker racked up this season so far?

This is why I think the Vols have to really pressure Leak to win. In my mind I think pass defense begins and ends with the pass rush, DB's are damage control after the fact. You can take a mediocre QB and WR'S....match them against the finest DB's you can put in......give that QB 4 seconds and he'll pick you apart. Its all about making the QB act before he's ready, and before the WR's get their routes run. Id rather send a safety or corner blitz and go man to man than sit in a zone and watch the chains move every 2 plays. The gators will run quick 2 second slant routes and curls, the corners should jam on the line of scrimmage. You take away their short pass game and all they have is sprint draw runs, shovel passes , and screens. Linebackers... you gotta be patient and let the front 4 push upfield...LB's need to sit back and contain the screens, and help on slants. IMO

I couldn't agree more. Leak better get re-acquainted with the Vol's green grass very quickly tonight or it'll be a long one.

VN Store

Back