How will this class fair

And he shouldn't be at 8-4, but surely you were here last fall when many on this board wanted him gone. Even the preseason rags have placed him on the hot seat because of the "rabid fan base" and new AD.

God forbid some of us fans want UT to be great instead of mediocre. You think its because of our fan base and a new AD? So I guess it has nothing to do with what Butch has done with the talent he has had?

God forbid some of us fans want UT to be great instead of mediocre. You think its because of our fan base and a new AD? So I guess it has nothing to do with what Butch has done with the talent he has had?

I have been a fan of UT football for 40 years and am a proud graduate of UT. Trust me, you don't want UT to be great any more than I do. If you knew me, you would know I am not satisfied with not winning the SEC East, barely beating Appy State, getting embarrassed by Bama, losing to SC and Vandy, etc., etc. I won't even mention the 2015 season and the silly quotes. I despise Vandy and get abused by Bama fans daily.

However, you have to recognize the improvements to the program CBJ has made and how far we have come from the Dooley years. He has upgraded the roster, made some critical coaching changes, and is putting together another great recruiting class. Has he made mistakes? Absolutely. Is he a good game-day coach?
I don't know. But going 8-4, 9-4 with another bowl win, should not cost him his job.

If you are one of the fire CBJ people after a bad loss or bad presser, I have two questions for you. First, are you really ready to start all over again, setting the program back years? And second, who in reality would you think would be a be a better alternative? Gruden always seems to be a popular choice, but please. Give me a realistic candidate who would want to try to live up to your expectations.

Reactions: 2 people
I got 5 on it. I take 1-15 and u got 16+. Hell, I'll make it 500 dollars and a night with my wife(she's hot,too) against your 5 dollars

poodle-feature-1.jpg

?

I have been a fan of UT football for 40 years and am a proud graduate of UT. Trust me, you don't want UT to be great any more than I do. If you knew me, you would know I am not satisfied with not winning the SEC East, barely beating Appy State, getting embarrassed by Bama, losing to SC and Vandy, etc., etc. I won't even mention the 2015 season and the silly quotes. I despise Vandy and get abused by Bama fans daily.

However, you have to recognize the improvements to the program CBJ has made and how far we have come from the Dooley years. He has upgraded the roster, made some critical coaching changes, and is putting together another great recruiting class. Has he made mistakes? Absolutely. Is he a good game-day coach?
I don't know. But going 8-4, 9-4 with another bowl win, should not cost him his job.

If you are one of the fire CBJ people after a bad loss or bad presser, I have two questions for you. First, are you really ready to start all over again, setting the program back years? And second, who in reality would you think would be a be a better alternative? Gruden always seems to be a popular choice, but please. Give me a realistic candidate who would want to try to live up to your expectations.

I support CBJ, but if the wheels were to fall off like 6-6 or 5-7 this season and they decide to make a change, the obvious candidate would be Chip Kelly, and for the right amount of $$, I'm sure he could be persuaded to come to Knoxville.

I do see the progress Butch has made here at UT. He has rebuilt the program from one of its worst stretches ever. He gets a lot of credit for that. You dont know if he is a good game day coach? Serious question, how much more data do you need to make that decision? This is year 5. He has had 4 years to prove his worth as a game day coach. And IMO, he has shown to be average to below average.

Am I ready to start over again? This type of statement is a little tired and redundant. Why is that other teams can get new coaches? Why is that if we get a new HC then we are automatically starting over and we are screwed? I dont buy it. Especially the way Butch has restocked the talent in Knoxville. Why is it so unreasonable to think another coach could not come in and have more success? I dont know who would be a great replacement but who knows what another coach could do with this talent? Saban didnt get his reputation until he got some talent in LSU. The fact is, we could get a big name, winning coach at UT. The UT AD have just not taken serious enough or done their diligence to find them. Gruden? Please. I dont think Grudne would be a good college coach at all.

I support CBJ, but if the wheels were to fall off like 6-6 or 5-7 this season and they decide to make a change, the obvious candidate would be Chip Kelly, and for the right amount of $$, I'm sure he could be persuaded to come to Knoxville.

If we go 6-6 or 5-7 that's a whole different discussion.

I do see the progress Butch has made here at UT. He has rebuilt the program from one of its worst stretches ever. He gets a lot of credit for that. You dont know if he is a good game day coach? Serious question, how much more data do you need to make that decision? This is year 5. He has had 4 years to prove his worth as a game day coach. And IMO, he has shown to be average to below average.

Am I ready to start over again? This type of statement is a little tired and redundant. Why is that other teams can get new coaches? Why is that if we get a new HC then we are automatically starting over and we are screwed? I dont buy it. Especially the way Butch has restocked the talent in Knoxville. Why is it so unreasonable to think another coach could not come in and have more success? I dont know who would be a great replacement but who knows what another coach could do with this talent? Saban didnt get his reputation until he got some talent in LSU. The fact is, we could get a big name, winning coach at UT. The UT AD have just not taken serious enough or done their diligence to find them. Gruden? Please. I dont think Grudne would be a good college coach at all.

CBJ did not have the best staff in the country as he stated when he came here. But this is year five and many changes have been made. I need to see what effect Rock Gullickson and the other coaching changes will make before I pass judgement.

Obviously, they have had a big impact on the recruiting trail. Coach Scott's promotion may decide the future of CBJ. Personally, I think there are too many question marks on offense to expect better than 9-3 or an SEC East Championship. You say another coach may come in and have more success, but you still can't give me a realistic name. Therein lies the problem. Can CBJ win championships? I don't know and neither do you. I do know he has made mistakes, but has made corrections and worked hard to improve in all facets. That's progress in my book. He deserves more time. I understand the hot seat talk. Everyone not named Saban has at least a warm seat in the SEC. It's the incessant whining for a new coach during the season that gets old.

Last edited:
Been married 20 years - if you're smart just tell her you're sorry and that she's the best thing to ever happen to you

And if she is still mad, take her to Dairy Queen and treat her to her favorite blizzard.

What this guy said. Had Butch not addressed the need for upgrading the staff, I might list off failings and conclude it's time for Currie to make a list of candidates. The hires made sense. Before we hit the reset button, let's see how it works.

But just in case, I will name the same guy I named for the last three searches. But we would need to throw silly money to get Chris Petersen.

Top 7. Big fish are coming. I like the fact we are adding our 3rd 5 star OT in the last three classes. Our O line is going to be nasty

What this guy said. Had Butch not addressed the need for upgrading the staff, I might list off failings and conclude it's time for Currie to make a list of candidates. The hires made sense. Before we hit the reset button, let's see how it works.

But just in case, I will name the same guy I named for the last three searches. But we would need to throw silly money to get Chris Petersen.
While I'll agree he is a very good coach. Washington is a nice gig and even nicer for a west coast guy. He's not coming and if he does, it won't work out.

I got 5 on it. I take 1-15 and u got 16+. Hell, I'll make it 500 dollars and a night with my wife(she's hot,too) against your 5 dollars

I didn't say UT would finish outside the top 15. I said they will be lucky to be in the top 15 when the class is signed.

I said no way the class finishes top 5.

If we go 6-6 or 5-7 that's a whole different discussion.

That's what it will take to run him out of Knoxville, there aren't too many people that really matter that have the appetite to start over again like UT has done after firing Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley.

If at 6-6 if With a top 5 recruiting class on the way in, he stays at UT at least another season.

CBJ did not have the best staff in the country as he stated when he came here. But this is year five and many changes have been made. I need to see what effect Rock Gullickson and the other coaching changes will make before I pass judgement.

Obviously, they have had a big impact on the recruiting trail. Coach Scott's promotion may decide the future of CBJ. Personally, I think there are too many question marks on offense to expect better than 9-3 or an SEC East Championship. You say another coach may come in and have more success, but you still can't give me a realistic name. Therein lies the problem. Can CBJ win championships? I don't know and neither do you. I do know he has made mistakes, but has made corrections and worked hard to improve in all facets. That's progress in my book. He deserves more time. I understand the hot seat talk. Everyone not named Saban has at least a warm seat in the SEC. It's the incessant whining for a new coach during the season that gets old.

If you want a name start your list with Chip Kelly, he's the elephant in the room imho.

I didn't say UT would finish outside the top 15. I said they will be lucky to be in the top 15 when the class is signed.

I said no way the class finishes top 5.

Jimmy, we may not finish in the top 5 but we should be pretty good. Our total points on 247 would have had this years recruiting class as the best 17th recruiting class in the country last year. Which is exactly the spot we ended up at 17th. However last years total came from 28 players cumulative total. We have 17 players committed right now with almost the exact same total. With the addition of 5-7 more players I think we will be in the top 15 without much trouble unless we lose most of the current commitments. I kind of see us in the 5-12 range. I am ready for some football folks.

VN Store

Back