How well is our defense playing?

volgrad500

The Oracle of Orange
I routinely see posts talking about how great our defense is playing. Granted, they are miles ahead of our offense, but that's not exactly a high bar to achieve. Here are the points we have given up against Power 5 teams, and the points our opponents have scored against other Power 5 teams.

Oklahoma: UT 34, West Virginia 45, TCU 33, Texas 31, Kansas State 30.

Georgia: Clemson 45, SCAR 35, UT 35, Vandy 44, Mizzou 34, Ark 45

Florida: Kentucky 36 (3 OTs), Bama 21, UT 10, LSU 27, Missouri 13

Ole Miss: Vandy 41, Bama 23, TAM 35, UT 34

Our defense is elite. And stats would show that if our offensive could keep them off the field a bit more.

Reactions: 6 people
I think we forced ole miss to punt on their first 7 possessions. Looking at points only means that person isn't watching the game, or doesn't understand how the offense going 3 and out over and over wears down your own defense and they can't keep up the pace, mentally or physically.

Reactions: 13 people
I think we forced ole miss to punt on their first 7 possessions. Looking at points only means that person isn't watching the game, or doesn't understand how the offense going 3 and out over and over wears down your own defense and they can't keep up the pace, mentally or physically.

Bingo

Reactions: 1 person
Our defense is elite. And stats would show that if our offensive could keep them off the field a bit more.

Yep. I'm really starting to wonder how much longer the defense can hold it together with how much and how well theyre playing each week.

I've watched every play of every game besides UTC, and granted those play a factor in the points they are giving up. But there are other factors to consider in us forcing Ole Miss to punt their first 7 possessions as well (like their own punt returner essentially downing it inside the five for us). I'm not saying we aren't playing well, but calling them elite may be more of a comparison to our offense rather than what we are actually doing during the games.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't call them elite. Defense has played well, especially considering we start 4 new guys on the DL. And Ole Miss picked on another true freshman at cb to get their offense going last week after Williams had to come out.

Yeah, point totals are misleading. Oklahoma scored on a pic six and UGA scored on an endzone fumble. Our D is playing very, very well.

Reactions: 2 people
The D only gave up 27 to OU (pick 6 by Worley at the 2) and 28 to Georgia (Hurd/Worley fumble in own endzone). Our defense does not have much depth, but they are playing their butts off. I've lost count of how many short fields our defense has given the offense with zero points to show for it. Love the coaching job on defense so far.

Reactions: 3 people
Vs OleMiss, our defense was outstanding the first 1.5 quarters before giving up 14 quick points before the half. While certainly being hampered by our offense's ineptness, they pretty much wilted and gave up another 20 pts in the 2nd half. They're much improved, they're very good, but they're in no way elite. Not enough forced turnovers, not enough depth, give up too many points at the end of the day. Will take another couple recruiting classes while staying on the same trajectory Jancek has them on currently before they'll truly get to "elite status" imo.

I routinely see posts talking about how great our defense is playing. Granted, they are miles ahead of our offense, but that's not exactly a high bar to achieve. Here are the points we have given up against Power 5 teams, and the points our opponents have scored against other Power 5 teams.

Memphis only gave up 24 to Ole Miss, while scoring 3 (same as us). Not sure what, if anything, that really means, just an observation if anyone cares to discuss.

Defense is playing good enough to keep the Vols in the game, but they aren't creating enough turnovers or scoring while on defense, and that's what it will take for UT to overcome the pathetic performance by the offense each week.

It's a top 20 defense. Good/very good, but not elite.

Agree. It's good enough that it would be getting national recognition if not for our historically bad offense. Just not enough depth to hold the line given how much is asked of them and how often they're on the field.

I think our defense seriously gives up late in the game. Offense has not done jack to help them out at all

The defense is still a work in progress. We have more depth coming next year. They do tend to get worn down as the games go on. In large part, by our offense not staying on the field very long in long stretches during a game. I recall uga had a hard time moving the ball until we had about 3 short possessions right after we scored 10 points early on. Then the whole 3rd qtr without Worley didn't help.

Compared to last years Defense, we have an elite defense.
We do have a very strong Defense. This speaks volumes of our coaching. To make that much improvement with such youth this quick. They will get better and better. Elite, here we come.
(a QB and Oline away from hurting lots of feelings)

6 of those 7 possessions were 3 and outs too. It was impressive.

I keep hearing people say that but look at the TOP in the Ole Miss game.

The Rebels pulled off 14 points quick while we still had the TOP advantage.

VN Store

Back