how to clean a cast Iron skillet

well it didn't come out quiet right,the shortening i used burnt on the brown side and looks like crap. I'm doing a smaller one with corn oil instead,we will see what the difference is,of course I think i needed a gob of lard instead :)

looks like it needs a bit more seasoning

i like mine to have a glossy bottom

Ive tried pretty much every oil with cast iron. corn, canola, olive, vegetable oil, pam, crisco, lard etc. but flaxseed is the best. once you start with the flaxseed you wont ever go back to any shortening or lord or any oil besides flaxseed.

btw soap shouldnt really impact your seasoning if youve seasoned it correctly. it's leaving water on the cast on for too long and letting rust accumulate that ruins the seasoning. I've been using flaxseed for a long time now and go up to a year without re-seasoning. the trick is to reapply a layer or oil before storage, real simple. my dutch oven hasnt been reseasoned in years and its still in perfect cooking condition so you can go a long time without reseasoning. just maintain your gear

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

AC6aKMc.gif

the article is right...soap does nothing if you've seasoned your pans correctly...it's rust and improper storage that ruins your cast iron

I'm still not going to use soap :) they are probably right,but I've gotten by with out it all these years,so why change ?

Reactions: 2 people
Tonight after making chili in my 6 quart cast iron dutch oven I cleaned it with warm water and my Ringer chain mail cleaner but when I went to oil it with Canola oil I was getting black flakes along with the paper towel turning black. Is this more likely burnt on food or the seasoning layer coming off?
Any tips?

Tonight after making chili in my 6 quart cast iron dutch oven I cleaned it with warm water and my Ringer chain mail cleaner but when I went to oil it with Canola oil I was getting black flakes along with the paper towel turning black. Is this more likely burnt on food or the seasoning layer coming off?
Any tips?
What's "Ringer chain mail cleaner"? Flakes on inside or out & what was the heat source - fire/grill, stove...?

What's "Ringer chain mail cleaner"? Flakes on inside or out & what was the heat source - fire/grill, stove...?

Stainless steel cleaner - Link

The flakes are on the bottom on the inside of the dutch oven. Stove top. It's a Lodge brand dutch oven.

If you need to start from scratch and reseason. Put the cast iron in the oven and place the oven on the "clean" cycle. It will burn off any crud and rust. I refinished all my grandmother's cast iron that got neglected form sitting in the back of the closet. Then use the link below for seasoning.

Crisbee Cast Iron Seasoning

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
My mom has an old cast iron Dutch oven that belonged to her dad. He used it to melt lead for reloading. She keep it by a fireplace for a decoration but I am concerned that when she's gone someone is going to wind up with that thing and try to cook in it.

My mom has an old cast iron Dutch oven that belonged to her dad. He used it to melt lead for reloading. She keep it by a fireplace for a decoration but I am concerned that when she's gone someone is going to wind up with that thing and try to cook in it.
I would consider throwing away. You NEVER want to cook anything in that Dutch oven.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
My cast iron skillet was my Mammaws and has been cooked in at least once a week for 100 years. Water and a little elbow grease. Nothing else.

Reactions: malinoisvol
I use the kosher salt and olive oil technique. Make a paste with it and scrub it out with a paper towel. Oil it and store it.

Reactions: malinoisvol

VN Store

Back