How much impact did the overseas trip this summer have?

Now that I think about it, it may be every 5 years that you are eligible to take a trip. The idea being, that every student-athlete be able to participate sometime within their eligibility window. A 5th year, rSR could theoretically participate twice if we're every four years. So, I think it may actually be every 5th year.

Edit: it's 4 years

Last edited:
Okay, let me clarify. I did not necessarily mean a trip abroad. Yes I realize that's the topic being discussed.

Actually what I should have said was, Pearls UT teams seemed to play in a lot of preseason tournaments.
It's been 10 years now, am I just misremembering.

I feel like Tennessee plays in a preseason tournament of some kind just about every year. I'm not sure of the last time we didn't play in one.

Now that I think about it, it may be every 5 years that you are eligible to take a trip. The idea being, that every student-athlete be able to participate sometime within their eligibility window. A 5th year, rSR could theoretically participate twice if we're every four years. So, I think it may actually be every 5th year.

Pretty sure it's every 4 years

Pretty sure it's every 4 years

Yep, you're right. Just looked it up.

Bylaw 17.29.1.3

"An institution shall not engage in a foreign tour more than once every four years per sport."

An interesting sidenote, as part of that rule, no player may participate in more than one foreign tour for a particular institution. So a 5th or 6th year SR cannot participate in multiple trips.

Bylaw 17.29.1.3

"An institution shall not engage in a foreign tour more than once every four years per sport."

An interesting sidenote, as part of that rule, no player may participate in more than one foreign tour for a particular institution. So a 5th or 6th year SR cannot participate in multiple trips.

Didn't know the last part. That is intersting. Could come into play with kent I guess. I wonder if that means they can't even go.

Didn't know the last part. That is intersting. Could come into play with kent I guess. I wonder if that means they can't even go.

The rule says "participate." I would think that means they can't even go If they went before.

Bylaw 17.29.1.3

So one in every four means every fifth year you can go? Am I reading that right?

Would make sense.... 2007, 2012, 2017. The 2007-08 Vols and the 2017-18 Vols had great seasons after the Euro trip.

Also, I know Cuonzo had the sweet 16 run in 2013-14 but you could argue he had a better year in 2012-13 minus the run.

2012-13 they went 19-11 (11-7)
2013-14 they went 20-11 (11-7)

2012-13 they had no Maymon and Jrich was just a sophomore. Jordy Mac wasn't even a starter to begin the season. He emerged later in the year after backing up Skylar McBee. Stokes was just a sophomore

2013-14 they got everyone back including Maymon who missed the year before.

2012-13 missed the tourney and 2013-14 made the play in game. Biggest difference is that the 2013-14 team beat an unranked and kinda floundering Virginia team before they put it together and became a top 5 team.

The overseas trip probably did our lads a lot of good and opened their eyes to how the rest of the world sees basketball, but I think the B4A tournament probably did a lot more to prepare them for the season.

I had forgotten about the summer trip abroad for this team. I believe Freak is spot on, as usual, about its contribution to the team chemistry.

I am so sick of not being able to get through a new thread without having to listen to another comparison with Bruce F*#&%ng P**rl. I know that I'm a nobody on this board and I try to keep in my place accordingly, but it gets old. It is an insult to CRB to make any comparison with that man.

Now that the circus has folded its tent for the last time, I'm not sure where he's going to end up but P***l is finishing out his last season as a NCAA head coach for all of the obvious reasons. I would like to see Freak add his name to the list of words in #6 of the guidelines for posting.

To all of you P*!%l lovers out there, blast away.

Reactions: 1 person
I had forgotten about the summer trip abroad for this team. I believe Freak is spot on, as usual, about its contribution to the team chemistry.

I am so sick of not being able to get through a new thread without having to listen to another comparison with Bruce F*#&%ng P**rl. I know that I'm a nobody on this board and I try to keep in my place accordingly, but it gets old. It is an insult to CRB to make any comparison with that man.

Now that the circus has folded its tent for the last time, I'm not sure where he's going to end up but P***l is finishing out his last season as a NCAA head coach for all of the obvious reasons. I would like to see Freak add his name to the list of words in #6 of the guidelines for posting.

To all of you P*!%l lovers out there, blast away.

Dude, drink some decaf already. It was simply an observation and not a comparison.
I dont see anywhere in this thread where anyone said BP is better, did it better etc.

Is it okay with you if Conzo's name get's mentions, just asking for a friend.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it okay with you if Conzo's name get's mentions, just asking for a friend.[/QUOTE]

Yes, tell your friend that I don't mind Counzo's name being thrown around. He is a reputable coach.

Is it okay with you if Conzo's name get's mentions, just asking for a friend.

Yes, tell your friend that I don't mind Counzo's name being thrown around. He is a reputable coach.[/QUOTE]

Whew that was close, I'll let him know You said it was ok.

Just looked it up, Pearl took the team on an 11-day trip to Europe through the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Austria in the summer of 2007.

Tennessee finished 31-5 that season, achieved #1 for first tine in program history, and finished with a school record for wins. Also won the first outright SEC title in 41 years.
Good work.

Bylaw 17.29.1.3

...unless they transfer?

I think there was discussion that Barnes could have put together a trip in his first year, but he kept it in his back pocket until this year.

...unless they transfer?

"...for a particular institution."

Those would be the key words there. You could transfer to another institution and participate in another foreign tour, but you cannot participate in two at the same school.

So if Kent does RS and stays his entire time at UT, then more than likely he’ll get a chance to go on two overseas trips?

So if Kent does RS and stays his entire time at UT, then more than likely he’ll get a chance to go on two overseas trips?

No, he would be ineligible for another trip associated with Tennessee. If he transferred to Providence (random example), and they take a trip while he is there, then he would be eligible to participate.

1 foreign trip per player, per institution.

The funny part about this is that Barnes was criticized for not taking this foreign trip either his first year or second year, I believe it was second year. It had been 4 years so Tennessee was eligible to go and they had brought in a big recruiting class as well so many thought they should go to get the extra practices, sure seems like he made the right move holding off.

The rule says "participate." I would think that means they can't even go If they went before.

I would think they could go, minus the 6th year player, but I don't think they would. Only the player is ineligible to participate, not his team.

I definitely think the overseas trips help get you kickstarted and build chemistry. I think it's especially helpful for younger teams.

The last time Kentucky did it was the 38-1 year. They'll be eligible to do it again next year.

VN Store

Back