How good is the team Coach Caldwell will inherit?

And we lose a top 3 WNBA pick. This team was a NIT team when Rickea was out earlier this year....

Us without Rickea was similar to Iowa without Caitlin...
So Iowa doesn’t get credit for having Clark? KJH doesn’t get credit for having Rickea?

We get Cooper & Boyd off the jump. Stephen’s can’t use the transfer portal (as we were getting Whitehorn and others under KJH)?

Reactions: PRG and brittannica
So Iowa doesn’t get credit for having Clark? KJH doesn’t get credit for having Rickea?

We get Cooper & Boyd off the jump. Stephen’s can’t use the transfer portal (as we were getting Whitehorn and others under KJH)?

Right now, this team RIGHT NOW that is rostered is a WNIT team. That's what this entire thread is about. It's about what she inherited.

My point was Rickea was our Caitlin. She covered up a roster that honestly wasn't very good...

You can bring up how we played USC close but that was because of 1 player, who will be a Top 3 WNBA pick that won't be here next year (Rickea)...

KJH tried to run transition all year, I can argue we were our best in transition. Her problem was a lack of athleticism and poor roster management in recruiting. Her problem was teams forced us into half court by controlling the boards and our defense did not turn them over enough to run.
I would agree with this, but I was speaking broadly about Pat Summit's style and her influence on Holly \ Kellie \ Kara etc......

Reactions: brittannica
She’ll pretty much need it. She’ll obviously be heavily reliant on the portal for the next 2-3 seasons. Hopefully she can get some quality undergrad transfers in, like Taliah Scott.

I wonder if any of the SC girls are gonna hop in? I wonder what someone like Kitts is thinking knowing that Edwards is coming in.

She's probably thinking about winning another national championship.

Right now, this team RIGHT NOW that is rostered is a WNIT team. That's what this entire thread is about. It's about what she inherited.

My point was Rickea was our Caitlin. She covered up a roster that honestly wasn't very good...

You can bring up how we played USC close but that was because of 1 player, who will be a Top 3 WNBA pick that won't be here next year (Rickea)...
Yep, 2 things were clear about the LV team: (1)when Rickea departs, it leaves a huge hole & (2) ball-handling has been miserable for a long time. I look for that to improve with Coach Caldwell's new offense. :cool:

Steve Spurrier let Emmitt Smith go pro without recruiting him to stay. This lady is a classy Spurrier type who will set the SEC old guard on its backside. It will be fun to see the roster reload and get some athletes who can shoot and press.
If she likes three point shooters then Puckett should be happy--- IF they consistently press, then you have to get in Rick Barnes player kind of shape. Some won't enjoy that, I'm sure.

The Lady Vols have been short on pure athleticism and aggression. I really hoped Harper was going to be the one to bring UT back but its evident at this point she wasnt going to. I have no doubt we will have a more athletic team under Caldwell and based on her resume, shes already a better coach than Harper. Simply put, she is a winner and thats important. I see no reason not to believe we will be a much better team in a year or two.

Your question is a good one and we really don't have a clue.

When Jewell committed to return, Kellie was still HC. I believe JS would be free to enter the portal with a new coach.

I think keeping Jewell, Cooper, Puckett, Boyd, and Hollingshead (an injury limited season but she has a huge upside) seem essential. Wells, Wynn, and T. Darby might not be as "essential" but they would be important assets to have on the team as well.

But even with the best case scenario of no transfers, this roster desperately needs a quality PG, post and another offensive threat at minimum. Rickea papered over a lot of cracks last season. They will all be showing next year.
I think Wells is good, if recovered from her injury, and Avery may be quickest on the team, and can shoot threes.

Recruiting will be her challenge. May be a long term winner, but it will be very difficult to convince top prospects over the top programs. I think this was Harper's challenge. One thing Harper had, is that she could sell that she played for the Lady Vols and Pat and won championship. Even that resume had limitations, as the kids now have no clue who Pat was, other than stories and YouTube videos (sad but true).

Caldwell seems like a winner, but just hasn't done it long enough in my opinion to not have the Lady Vols stuck behind the 8 ball. I am surprised White didn't throw the kitchen sink at some big time names.

I'll be the first to eat crow and I will support her and I do think White has an eye for talent. This is just a monumental mountain to climb to get back to even competing for championships. Lady Vol basketball will never be what Pat had (and that is okay, we must accept), but expecting them to compete and be in position and the conversation is very doable. I just think luring a big time coach was the best course of action.

Recruiting will be her challenge. May be a long term winner, but it will be very difficult to convince top prospects over the top programs. I think this was Harper's challenge. One thing Harper had, is that she could sell that she played for the Lady Vols and Pat and won championship. Even that resume had limitations, as the kids now have no clue who Pat was, other than stories and YouTube videos (sad but true).

Caldwell seems like a winner, but just hasn't done it long enough in my opinion to not have the Lady Vols stuck behind the 8 ball. I am surprised White didn't throw the kitchen sink at some big time names.

I'll be the first to eat crow and I will support her and I do think White has an eye for talent. This is just a monumental mountain to climb to get back to even competing for championships. Lady Vol basketball will never be what Pat had (and that is okay, we must accept), but expecting them to compete and be in position and the conversation is very doable. I just think luring a big time coach was the best course of action.
Kellie could also, whether justifiable or not, point to her history of top WNBA draft picks. If I was a top recruit, I’d want to know how you’re developing me for the pro game, and that’s where good assistants are critical in this nascent stage.

If that's the case why did he let Kellie fail?

Maybe DW tried but Kellie was stubborn and wouldn't change what she was doing thus the NIL boosters were not that supportive. This is just my opinion but I have read that Kellie was stubborn and I believe she even said in an interview that she did not like change.

I don't see why Kim would have a harder time selling Tennessee than Kellie did. If Kellie's best selling pitch is what she did 25 years ago as a player, and not anything about what she's done as a coach and what she can do help players develop, it's no surprise that she struggled with recruitment. At least Kim can offer some hope and excitement with a more modern playing style instead of the same force the ball inside predictable play that has made Tennessee's offensive schemes obsolete. She can come in and point to her track record of implementing a winning system at Div 2, at Marshall, and now she's here to do the same for Tennessee. It's still Tennessee and their 8 NCs and massive fanbase, so it's not like she's trying to recruit 5-stars to Marshall. She'll have the resources needed around her to be successful.

If it had been a good team Kellie would've won more. Easy to see where the teams problems are and they are now even more magnified with Rickea and Jasmine gone. Jasmine could be inconsistent, but when she was good she was real good at the point. So we need some bigs inside. We need another consistent scorer. Would be nice to get some players that could elevate team speed. I think were running 6th or 7th in the SEC right now. Big job to upgrade this roster three or four of the right players will do it.

VN Store

Back