How does the off season go down?

Vols N Shocks

Shootin' Mind Bullets
Does Dooley change nothing with the staff? Or does he start mixing up the staff big time with new coordinators and new position coaches?

I think how the staff is handled this off season will indicate if Dooley is getting pressure from the AD to start winning games. If there isn't much of a coaching staff change, I think we can see if the AD thinks the team is fine, we just had horrible luck with injuries.

We need a new O-line coach but our coordinators are fine. We also need to land a good RB in this class if that's even possible at this point...

A few changes to position coachs, and I hope the S&C coach helps beef up some of the rising sophs.

We need a new O-line coach but our coordinators are fine. We also need to land a good RB in this class if that's even possible at this point...

Dlew, you are EXACTLY correct. Just add the fact UT needs real help at DT this class and that will about do it.

Perhaps he'll cross train the Coaches. Who knows? Something has to give and he knows expectation for next season will be HIGH. For those who don't think he'll be in the hot seat if he goes into November 2012 without an SEC win again are fooling yourself.

Coaches Hot Seat Ranking

We gotta fire somebody. We gotta move somebody. We gotta......get a LOT of talented and experienced players. They will make the coaching staff look like geniuses.

I don't believe there will be any changes.

If there are some changes, I would think Dooley shifts responsibilities around maybe and looks for an RB position coach.

But I think that is unlikely. Dooley will see the needs and weaknesses of the team and will work to address them.

Leave it alone for one more season. With these young guys being coached by the same staff three years in a row (no one on this team has had that yet), there should be significant improvement next year.
If next year is half as bad as this year, start replacing some staff members.

There should already be improvement on the O-line from year 1 to year 2. If anything they got worse. That's coaching imo...

Leave it alone for one more season. With these young guys being coached by the same staff three years in a row (no one on this team has had that yet), there should be significant improvement next year.

I have similar thoughts. The program desperately needs stability. Make minor changes if CDD feels the need, otherwise keep the staff intact.

No one is expecting a miracle turn around in year 3 but improvement is a must.

IMO, if we see a season opening loss to NC State (which I see as highly unlikely) then '12 will be a very turbulent year for the team and the fan base.

Strategically upgrading a few position coaches could reassure fans that problems are being addressed and might spark some life into this program. There's stability... then there's stagnant. No sense letting the latter masquerade as the former.

I don't think there will be any coaching changes. Here is what I think happens in the off season. Our players get healthy again. They will work in the weight room and do other conditioning and get stronger, and faster. We will sign another recruiting class. Next year we will be much better. That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Strategically upgrading a few position coaches could reassure fans that problems are being addressed and might spark some life into this program. There's stability... then there's stagnant. No sense letting the latter masquerade as the former.

I think upgrading the fans is more important than upgrading any position coach.

VN Store

Back