How does Cuonzo Martin's departure affect the football program?

If that logic holds, why doesn't DUKE, KY and UCONN kill it in football?

Have you seen their facilities?

By the by, now that DUKE is taking football seriously they were a few minutes away from taking down Johnny football in the bowl game.

Ya, we UT fans are crazy.. pretty sure the world has known that for awhile now. People act like this krap is news. Or we just recently went crazy, but sorry to inform you all.. we have been that way for awhile.

That's the reason why someone commits to us, and then they trend nationally on twitter.

The right coaches and players, who are confident in their abilities, are going to come here because of this fact, anyone scared away because of it. Is not who we want here in the first place.

Huh. Didn't u use some random writers opinion piece in an argument with me on Dooley?? This one doesn't meet ur agenda does it bud??

I for one am glad Forde wrote this piece cause hopefully this fan base will finally realize how crazy it is, and how it hurts UT. I've been saying it for yrs but all people like u could do is twist it into me being a Dooley lover for more "likes".
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Bama fans shoot each other for not loving Bama enough. Recruits are steering clear of them.

Oh wait.

My last sentence was that it'll have zero impact on the football program. It was in today's news cycle and the media will be on to their next "drive by shooting" tomorrow. I think recruits will come to UT because of the great coaching staff and recruiters we have, our great tradition and our world-class facilities. A basketball coach leaving because he felt he got a raw deal from the fans isn't going to change that IMO.

By this time next week the National media won't care about Counzo's martyrdom.

The truth is he was one loss away from missing the tourney and getting fired. This was the best possible situation for him and UT. He gets a raise and we get paid instead of paying another buy-out.

To answer the OP, this has zero affect on the Football program.

Huh. Didn't u use some random writers opinion piece in an argument with me on Dooley?? This one doesn't meet ur agenda does it bud??

I for one am glad Forde wrote this piece cause hopefully this fan base will finally realize how crazy it is, and how it hurts UT. I've been saying it for yrs but all people like u could do is twist it into me being a Dooley lover for more "likes".
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So I'm reading one of your posts a couple days ago in another thread....and I re-read it and I re-read it again. I was amazed by ....nay ...... so PROUD OF you.....you actually authored a post without mentioning "he whose name must not be spoken" (hint: starts with D, ends with ooley). I couldn't believe it, yet I thought it was great to see....I really felt like you were making progress, dare I say, even were on the verge of a breakthrough.

Now don't be discouraged Oskie by your latest post here... addictions are most always very, very difficult to overcome. But it's okay, as we try and make changes in our lives, sometimes we fall back..... we slip up. Sometimes you have to take one step back before you can take two steps forward. Just know that we're behind in your struggle....we're pulling for you. You may pen another 3,284 posts before we see another one without you mentioning "you know who", but that's ok....don't give up. You can do it little buddy.

Reactions: 1 person
It breaks my heart when a mediocre millionaire coach leaves Knoxville for the peace of Berkley CA for the "good of his family". I didn't support the petition, but at the time the BB team was playing way beneath its talent and if it had continued Martin deserved to be fired. That said I don't much care about BB and the impact on the football program will be zilch. Don't recall the football team being all that great during Pearls glory days.

I must admit. I didn't know "us fans" had so much influence on the University of Tennessee athletics. Maybe "us fans"we should have started sooner. :eek:lol:
GO VOLS!

Not at all. It's a downer for us unless and until we hire a good coach but in the long run every bit of the lies, distortions, and bad PR that we've been hit with this week will be forgotten in a matter of weeks. Chucked down the memory hole by the nation.

Zero effect. Martin had to go. Glad it worked out like it did. I signed the petition, not to get Bruce back, but to get Martin fired. Had a top 5-10 team that played like they did all season, then get motivated after the petition, I don't think it was Martin that fired them up. I'll admit I was proud of the way our boys handled themselves at the NCAA with the good words to the coach whose son was sick and thought Martin might be representing TN in a good light. Boy was I wrong. His departure was classless. Not to talk to team before he left, taking the 7 footer with him to Cal. Claiming family harassed without any kind of information, just not cool. Maybe now we can get someone to get excited about. Might be helpful to football team if that happens.
Go Vols

Martin's departure will have no direct impact however, it does portend a likely outcome as the slow process of team building continues and many fans, well, are fanatics. IMHO

So I'm reading one of your posts a couple days ago in another thread....and I re-read it and I re-read it again. I was amazed by ....nay ...... so PROUD OF you.....you actually authored a post without mentioning "he whose name must not be spoken" (hint: starts with D, ends with ooley). I couldn't believe it, yet I thought it was great to see....I really felt like you were making progress, dare I say, even were on the verge of a breakthrough.

Now don't be discouraged Oskie by your latest post here... addictions are most always very, very difficult to overcome. But it's okay, as we try and make changes in our lives, sometimes we fall back..... we slip up. Sometimes you have to take one step back before you can take two steps forward. Just know that we're behind in your struggle....we're pulling for you. You may pen another 3,284 posts before we see another one without you mentioning "you know who", but that's ok....don't give up. You can do it little buddy.

Soooo deflect much?? Well maybe people like u will let it go, and stop blaming everything Dooley in most of ur comments. Do that then talk about me bud. Funny how u like keeping Dooley relevant when it fits ur agenda to bash him, but act like a tool when u get called out on it.

NEWS ALERT Corky: Dooley is and will always be apart of UT history. And a way bigger part of it than u will ever be. Like it or not u won't change that. As long as people like u have a different opinion about his era than me, and keep bringing it to convos with ur own twist I will do the same. Settle in and just accept it or put me on ignore. :hi:

Unless you haven't noticed, everyone hates on UT except for Vol fans. That article you quoted sounded like it was written by a Vandy turd.

A schools basketball coach leaving WILL NOT affect that schools football program.

UT has been screwed up for years. "dysfunctional" is putting it mildly. the BB hire will be an acid test of if it is getting back on track. see below:

CHALK TALK
VOLUNTEER STYLE
VOLUME V
MARCH 6, 2014

While it is difficult to pinpoint the exact timing of when Tennessee’s decline began with the football program it is apparent what led to that decline. As with most declines it started slowly, somewhat under the radar and grew to where a once championship level program was fighting to stay in the top half of the SEC. Four head coaches in a six year period, three straight seasons without a bowl and two consecutive losses to Vanderbilt will get your attention.

Today Chalk Talk looks at the reasons behind the decline. This comes after eighteen months of talking to people involved both directly and indirectly at the university as well as some no longer with the university. We look at the off the field issues that were of tremendous importance not only in successful times but in unsuccessful times as well. Please notice the emphasis on off the field issues. I have rewritten this particular Chalk Talk at least a dozen times trying to strike the right tone in detailing how in less than a decade, over site requirements, fiduciary responsibilities and basic communication and trust between academics and athletics almost disappeared from the university. Hopefully you will get a clear understanding of:

WHY WE ARE WHERE WE ARE

In 1999 Dr. Joe Johnson retired followed in 2002 by the retirement of Doug Dickey. A clear succession plan for either was not in place and the university would pay dearly for that lack of preparation.

Dr. Johnson’s retirement ended fifty years of leadership from presidents that grew up in the Tennessee system, the exception being Lamar Alexander. Dr. Andy Holt served six years as vice president and twenty as president, Dr. Ed Boling nine years as VP and eighteen as president. Alexander was president for three years followed by Dr. Johnson who spent twenty five years as vice president and ten in the president’s office. In the ensuing ten years six different men would serve in that capacity. Excluding interims Dr. Johnson and Eli Fly only one of the other four, the current president had any experience in the Tennessee system. For a decade following Dr. Johnson, experience at the university was no longer deemed important by the leadership of the board of trust. “Too inbred” was a “problem”. Presidents needed to come from somewhere other than The University of Tennessee system. Indeed having experience at the University of Tennessee on your resume seemed to be an automatic disqualifier.
Ironically the leadership of the board were themselves “inbred”.

Bob Woodruff and Doug Dickey were the athletic directors during the majority of this time. Both former head coaches steeped in Tennessee tradition, both men were highly respected by their peers and the academic part of the university. Each had the trust of the presidents they worked for. With both everyone knew who the boss was and where the boss stood on the key issues. From Neyland in 1926 through Dickey‘s leaving in 2002 every University of Tennessee athletic director had a strong coaching background and a strong University of Tennessee background. Indeed all were former head coaches in the Southeastern Conference Neyland, Barnhill, Wyatt and Dickey for the Big Orange and Woodruff at Florida.

The reporting authority for the athletic department for this period was the President of the UT system in the belief that the athletic program was a state wide program and not limited to the Knoxville campus.

Cooperation between the athletic department and the provost was built on trust and communication. Key admissions and curriculum issues were handled behind closed doors for the most part. When disagreements could not be solved the president was called in. This system worked well for half of a decade.

The Thornton Center was built in the mid 90’s by the athletic department, a huge boost for all athletes in all sports. All operational costs are covered by the athletic department. Because of a disagreement in supervision, a kind description of the situation at the time, the university assumed control around the turn of the century. What had been a top priority for the athletic department became just another academic help area for the university. The head of the Thornton center now reported to the provost and not the athletic director.

The Vols enjoyed thirty-two years of former players as head football coach starting in 1977, sixteen by John Majors and sixteen by Phillip Fulmer. Both won multiple conference championships and Fulmer a national championship. Being native Tennesseans as well as graduates of the university gave each the advantage of knowing the history of this great university. Additionally each knew the key “players” within the university and built relationships that developed trust between the football program and the university. And the key “players” knew them as well. The Tennessee brand grew back to the top of college football under these Tennessee men. As late as 2001 the Volunteers were one game away from playing for another national championship. As either a player or coach for the Big Orange these two men were part of seven of the thirteen SEC championships won by the Volunteers.
THE DECLINE BEGINS

Post Dr. Johnson and Coach Dickey, starting in the early 2000’s the leadership of the university and the athletic department changed dramatically. Because of the constant turnover in the president and chancellor positions oversight of the athletic department was almost nonexistent. Communication between the athletic department and the provost nearly ceased as neither trusted the other when it came to matters of admissions and curriculum. The void in presidential leadership made the situation worse as there was no one to settle the issues of disagreement. When there is a void someone will fill it, normally the stronger personality. That someone was the provost.

Three key areas vital to any football program were affected: admission exceptions, curriculum help for borderline athletes, and the Thornton center for academic help. In other words the football program was having problems getting key players admitted, finding classes to put them in and keeping them eligible through the Thornton center. All three of these areas were controlled by the provost office. Without trust and communication and with a president unable or unwilling to step in, things went south in a hurry. Admission requirements increased, exceptions decreased, and helpful curriculums went away.

Exceptions for athletes are a way of life for top tier university football programs, especially in the Southeastern Conference. In a class of twenty-five, six or seven would normally be special admits to the university approved by the president (now the chancellor). Anyone admitted must meet the minimums of the NCAA but not necessarily the minimums of the university. Presidents from Andy Holt through Joe Johnson understood this, approved it and instructed their provost to facilitate those admissions.

With Woodruff and Dickey each president trusted these exceptions would have the ability to work towards graduation, knowing academic help was in place and administered by the athletic department. Both of these men were strong leaders who held individual head coaches accountable for the players they brought to the university. Woodruff and Dickey understood the position athletics would put the president in if the exceptions he approved caused problems to the university. Again, trust and leadership was so important. That all ended when Dickey retired. So did the trust factor so important to any organization.

The fourth key area affected by poor leadership and oversight was the financial situation in the athletic department. I have been unable to find anyone in the administration of the university who will admit to overseeing buyouts of coaches and athletic directors or the building projects that are ongoing today. Our current athletic director inherited a reserve fund of less than $2 million. This is a dangerously low amount for a department with an annual budget of over $100 million. $30 to $40 million is the minimum you would like to have in reserve. When any athletic department is forced to borrow from the university of which they are a part, especially one with an annual budget as large as Tennessee’s, red flags show up. Competence and leadership begin to be questioned.
By 2011 Tennessee was in a world of hurt, much worse that most believed.

A botched, classless in season firing of a hall of fame coach, the hiring of a west coast renegade that lasted less than one year and nearly put the institution under the NCAA jail, followed by a coaching search that ended with the hiring of an inexperienced son of a SEC legend brought to an end a forgettable era of the Volunteer athletic department.
Dave Hart became the seventh athletic director of the University of Tennessee in September of 2011. His charge, get the football program healthy and back to championship contention.

WHERE WE ARE TODAY - MARCH, 2014

If Butch Jones is the most important hire of the Dave Hart era then Dr. Joe Scogin is a close second. Scogin was brought in from the University of Missouri to head the Thornton Center and help rebuild the relationship between the athletic department and the provost’s office. A key component of the move included Dr. Scogin being both a senior associate athletic director AND an assistant provost. I have been unable to find another university with this dual position, a trailblazing move in my opinion. By holding both positions Dr. Scogin has credibility with both the academic and athletic interests of the university. Mr. Hart knows that any hope for on field success depends on working with the provost office to ensure we remain competitive with our rivals. Dr. Scogin was hired to facilitate that cooperation. Early results have been dramatic. One year ago not only was the football program facing a potential bowl ban because of poor academic progress, it also was close to realizing forced scholarship reductions. Now, the latest APR (academic progress report) was perfect, a rarity in the NCAA. The athletic department announced last month that twenty-four of twenty-five seniors would graduate this year. The Thornton center has transformed into a vibrant workplace where athletes are receiving the help so necessary in today’s athletic environment. What had been an embarrassment now was a huge plus, especially when talking to prospective recruits and their parents. A future Chalk Talk will detail the turnaround in the Thornton center and the impact it has on many of the athletes that are part of the university.

Most importantly the improvement in the three key areas discussed above, admission exceptions, curriculum help for borderline athletes and the Thornton Center for academic help has been exceptional, not to mention the overall restoration in communication and trust between the provost and the athletic department. Without these areas being addressed and restored the football program had little chance of success. Just as there was plenty of blame to go around in our decline many should share in the credit for the 180 degree turnaround. Certainly Dr. Cheek and Dr. Martin on the university side and Dave Hart and Dr. Scogin have worked closely to regain the trust that is so important for success. I am sure many more have worked diligently in both areas. Bottom line, I have been assured the athletic department has zero concerns in both admissions and curriculum with the provost’s office.

As discussed above the fourth area of concern is the financial situation in the athletic department. Reserve funds continue to be under $2 million and prospects for getting back to an acceptable level are probably several years down the road when the new SEC network and new television contracts kick in. Conservative estimates are an additional $15 million per year which, if accurate, would increase the Southeastern Conference yearly payout to the athletic department to near the $35 million level. Additionally the university agreed to a three year waiver on annual payments of approximately $7 million per year two years ago. An extension of or better yet the elimination of the annual payment is a must in my opinion to enable the athletic department to reach an acceptable reserve level in the near future. Certainly a competitive football team would help and that is now possible primarily because the athletic department and the academic administration are once again working together in the best interests of the university.

A closing thought…in an earlier Chalk Talk General Neyland’s reliance on “unity of command” or leadership was highlighted. What became very clear during the research on this article was how little “unity of command” came from the board of trust, the president’s office, the chancellor/provost and the athletic director during our decline. The good news, it appears these groups once again are leading and the entire university should beneifit.

Reactions: 1 person
No effect on football.

I know this is probably stupid but I find it promising that our fans give a damn enough about college basketball to presumably "pressure" a head coach.

Soooo deflect much?? Well maybe people like u will let it go, and stop blaming everything Dooley in most of ur comments. Do that then talk about me bud. Funny how u like keeping Dooley relevant when it fits ur agenda to bash him, but act like a tool when u get called out on it.

NEWS ALERT Corky: Dooley is and will always be apart of UT history. And a way bigger part of it than u will ever be. Like it or not u won't change that. As long as people like u have a different opinion about his era than me, and keep bringing it to convos with ur own twist I will do the same. Settle in and just accept it or put me on ignore. :hi:

Damnit, you did again Oskie..... 3 times. Hang in there buddy.

In all seriousness Oskie, you're the one responding to my posts. I typically read yours and what you've written about Derek Dooley, shake my head a little bit and move along.

I posted yesterday about Cuonzo leaving and what impact it would have on the football program. It had nothing to do with Derek Dooley. I didn't at any time write his name or allude to him in anyway. My post had absolutely nothing to do with him. Yet here you come out of nowhere talking about Derek Dooley.

You're the one that seems to be a little taken with what I write. I rarely ever, if ever, respond any of your posts anymore because I, along with everybody else on here, know exactly what you going to say and who you going to say it about ... Derek Dooley.

I haven't put anybody on ignore and don't plan to .... where's the fun in that? It appears that you're the one who should put ME on ignore, not the other way around.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree. But that's not my question. Are some of these current big-name football recruits, many of whom know little about Vol-Nation, potentially going to give "2 Shiites"? That's my question. And I hope it IS more about Butch Jones and their buying into his system, as others have stated. If so, I find that reassuring.

As to how the basketball situation affects football, very little to not at all. Tennessee's football's recruiting success depends mostly on how the football coaches build relationships.

However, the fan's actions associated with it could negatively affect recruiting in ALL sports. It gives the competition something negative to say about Tennessee. A highly touted recruit with several offers realistically could eliminate Tennessee from consideration, because they or those who influence them are turned off by it. So, certain segments of the fan base need to think twice before posting messages or writing petitions.

UT has been screwed up for years. "dysfunctional" is putting it mildly. the BB hire will be an acid test of if it is getting back on track. see below:

CHALK TALK
VOLUNTEER STYLE
VOLUME V
MARCH 6, 2014

While it is difficult to pinpoint the exact timing of when Tennessee’s decline began with the football program it is apparent what led to that decline. As with most declines it started slowly, somewhat under the radar and grew to where a once championship level program was fighting to stay in the top half of the SEC. Four head coaches in a six year period, three straight seasons without a bowl and two consecutive losses to Vanderbilt will get your attention.

Today Chalk Talk looks at the reasons behind the decline. This comes after eighteen months of talking to people involved both directly and indirectly at the university as well as some no longer with the university. We look at the off the field issues that were of tremendous importance not only in successful times but in unsuccessful times as well. Please notice the emphasis on off the field issues. I have rewritten this particular Chalk Talk at least a dozen times trying to strike the right tone in detailing how in less than a decade, over site requirements, fiduciary responsibilities and basic communication and trust between academics and athletics almost disappeared from the university. Hopefully you will get a clear understanding of:

WHY WE ARE WHERE WE ARE

In 1999 Dr. Joe Johnson retired followed in 2002 by the retirement of Doug Dickey. A clear succession plan for either was not in place and the university would pay dearly for that lack of preparation.

Dr. Johnson’s retirement ended fifty years of leadership from presidents that grew up in the Tennessee system, the exception being Lamar Alexander. Dr. Andy Holt served six years as vice president and twenty as president, Dr. Ed Boling nine years as VP and eighteen as president. Alexander was president for three years followed by Dr. Johnson who spent twenty five years as vice president and ten in the president’s office. In the ensuing ten years six different men would serve in that capacity. Excluding interims Dr. Johnson and Eli Fly only one of the other four, the current president had any experience in the Tennessee system. For a decade following Dr. Johnson, experience at the university was no longer deemed important by the leadership of the board of trust. “Too inbred” was a “problem”. Presidents needed to come from somewhere other than The University of Tennessee system. Indeed having experience at the University of Tennessee on your resume seemed to be an automatic disqualifier.
Ironically the leadership of the board were themselves “inbred”.

Bob Woodruff and Doug Dickey were the athletic directors during the majority of this time. Both former head coaches steeped in Tennessee tradition, both men were highly respected by their peers and the academic part of the university. Each had the trust of the presidents they worked for. With both everyone knew who the boss was and where the boss stood on the key issues. From Neyland in 1926 through Dickey‘s leaving in 2002 every University of Tennessee athletic director had a strong coaching background and a strong University of Tennessee background. Indeed all were former head coaches in the Southeastern Conference Neyland, Barnhill, Wyatt and Dickey for the Big Orange and Woodruff at Florida.

The reporting authority for the athletic department for this period was the President of the UT system in the belief that the athletic program was a state wide program and not limited to the Knoxville campus.

Cooperation between the athletic department and the provost was built on trust and communication. Key admissions and curriculum issues were handled behind closed doors for the most part. When disagreements could not be solved the president was called in. This system worked well for half of a decade.

The Thornton Center was built in the mid 90’s by the athletic department, a huge boost for all athletes in all sports. All operational costs are covered by the athletic department. Because of a disagreement in supervision, a kind description of the situation at the time, the university assumed control around the turn of the century. What had been a top priority for the athletic department became just another academic help area for the university. The head of the Thornton center now reported to the provost and not the athletic director.

The Vols enjoyed thirty-two years of former players as head football coach starting in 1977, sixteen by John Majors and sixteen by Phillip Fulmer. Both won multiple conference championships and Fulmer a national championship. Being native Tennesseans as well as graduates of the university gave each the advantage of knowing the history of this great university. Additionally each knew the key “players” within the university and built relationships that developed trust between the football program and the university. And the key “players” knew them as well. The Tennessee brand grew back to the top of college football under these Tennessee men. As late as 2001 the Volunteers were one game away from playing for another national championship. As either a player or coach for the Big Orange these two men were part of seven of the thirteen SEC championships won by the Volunteers.
THE DECLINE BEGINS

Post Dr. Johnson and Coach Dickey, starting in the early 2000’s the leadership of the university and the athletic department changed dramatically. Because of the constant turnover in the president and chancellor positions oversight of the athletic department was almost nonexistent. Communication between the athletic department and the provost nearly ceased as neither trusted the other when it came to matters of admissions and curriculum. The void in presidential leadership made the situation worse as there was no one to settle the issues of disagreement. When there is a void someone will fill it, normally the stronger personality. That someone was the provost.

Three key areas vital to any football program were affected: admission exceptions, curriculum help for borderline athletes, and the Thornton center for academic help. In other words the football program was having problems getting key players admitted, finding classes to put them in and keeping them eligible through the Thornton center. All three of these areas were controlled by the provost office. Without trust and communication and with a president unable or unwilling to step in, things went south in a hurry. Admission requirements increased, exceptions decreased, and helpful curriculums went away.

Exceptions for athletes are a way of life for top tier university football programs, especially in the Southeastern Conference. In a class of twenty-five, six or seven would normally be special admits to the university approved by the president (now the chancellor). Anyone admitted must meet the minimums of the NCAA but not necessarily the minimums of the university. Presidents from Andy Holt through Joe Johnson understood this, approved it and instructed their provost to facilitate those admissions.

With Woodruff and Dickey each president trusted these exceptions would have the ability to work towards graduation, knowing academic help was in place and administered by the athletic department. Both of these men were strong leaders who held individual head coaches accountable for the players they brought to the university. Woodruff and Dickey understood the position athletics would put the president in if the exceptions he approved caused problems to the university. Again, trust and leadership was so important. That all ended when Dickey retired. So did the trust factor so important to any organization.

The fourth key area affected by poor leadership and oversight was the financial situation in the athletic department. I have been unable to find anyone in the administration of the university who will admit to overseeing buyouts of coaches and athletic directors or the building projects that are ongoing today. Our current athletic director inherited a reserve fund of less than $2 million. This is a dangerously low amount for a department with an annual budget of over $100 million. $30 to $40 million is the minimum you would like to have in reserve. When any athletic department is forced to borrow from the university of which they are a part, especially one with an annual budget as large as Tennessee’s, red flags show up. Competence and leadership begin to be questioned.
By 2011 Tennessee was in a world of hurt, much worse that most believed.

A botched, classless in season firing of a hall of fame coach, the hiring of a west coast renegade that lasted less than one year and nearly put the institution under the NCAA jail, followed by a coaching search that ended with the hiring of an inexperienced son of a SEC legend brought to an end a forgettable era of the Volunteer athletic department.
Dave Hart became the seventh athletic director of the University of Tennessee in September of 2011. His charge, get the football program healthy and back to championship contention.

WHERE WE ARE TODAY - MARCH, 2014

If Butch Jones is the most important hire of the Dave Hart era then Dr. Joe Scogin is a close second. Scogin was brought in from the University of Missouri to head the Thornton Center and help rebuild the relationship between the athletic department and the provost’s office. A key component of the move included Dr. Scogin being both a senior associate athletic director AND an assistant provost. I have been unable to find another university with this dual position, a trailblazing move in my opinion. By holding both positions Dr. Scogin has credibility with both the academic and athletic interests of the university. Mr. Hart knows that any hope for on field success depends on working with the provost office to ensure we remain competitive with our rivals. Dr. Scogin was hired to facilitate that cooperation. Early results have been dramatic. One year ago not only was the football program facing a potential bowl ban because of poor academic progress, it also was close to realizing forced scholarship reductions. Now, the latest APR (academic progress report) was perfect, a rarity in the NCAA. The athletic department announced last month that twenty-four of twenty-five seniors would graduate this year. The Thornton center has transformed into a vibrant workplace where athletes are receiving the help so necessary in today’s athletic environment. What had been an embarrassment now was a huge plus, especially when talking to prospective recruits and their parents. A future Chalk Talk will detail the turnaround in the Thornton center and the impact it has on many of the athletes that are part of the university.

Most importantly the improvement in the three key areas discussed above, admission exceptions, curriculum help for borderline athletes and the Thornton Center for academic help has been exceptional, not to mention the overall restoration in communication and trust between the provost and the athletic department. Without these areas being addressed and restored the football program had little chance of success. Just as there was plenty of blame to go around in our decline many should share in the credit for the 180 degree turnaround. Certainly Dr. Cheek and Dr. Martin on the university side and Dave Hart and Dr. Scogin have worked closely to regain the trust that is so important for success. I am sure many more have worked diligently in both areas. Bottom line, I have been assured the athletic department has zero concerns in both admissions and curriculum with the provost’s office.

As discussed above the fourth area of concern is the financial situation in the athletic department. Reserve funds continue to be under $2 million and prospects for getting back to an acceptable level are probably several years down the road when the new SEC network and new television contracts kick in. Conservative estimates are an additional $15 million per year which, if accurate, would increase the Southeastern Conference yearly payout to the athletic department to near the $35 million level. Additionally the university agreed to a three year waiver on annual payments of approximately $7 million per year two years ago. An extension of or better yet the elimination of the annual payment is a must in my opinion to enable the athletic department to reach an acceptable reserve level in the near future. Certainly a competitive football team would help and that is now possible primarily because the athletic department and the academic administration are once again working together in the best interests of the university.

A closing thought…in an earlier Chalk Talk General Neyland’s reliance on “unity of command” or leadership was highlighted. What became very clear during the research on this article was how little “unity of command” came from the board of trust, the president’s office, the chancellor/provost and the athletic director during our decline. The good news, it appears these groups once again are leading and the entire university should benefit.

thanks for posting. Lots of stuff I wasn't aware of.

Vol senoir Jordan McRae probably summed it up best: "Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return."

Toché, sir.

I, too, to my chagrin, jumped on the Bruce Pearl-petition bandwagon. When there is no doubt that Cuonzo Martin (and especially the basketball team) deserved our full support as long as he was our coach, or at least until the season ended and we could honorably begin to discuss a replacement.

Shenanigans like the Pearl petition and the Vol Air Force withdrawal were simply shameful and unacceptable. They make me think of the raucous locals in the movie "Hoosiers" who wanted Gene Hackman's head on a platter, but, despite this, he later leads his small-town high school team to an improbable Indiana state championship. The worse part, however, is that they have given our gleeful enemies much ammunition.

Here are some of the headlines:

"Cuonzo Martin Moves Up In The World By Leaving Tennessee For California Basketball"

"Cuonzo Martin flees hostile Tennessee"

"Cuonzo Martin's exit gives UT what it deserves"

"Cuonzo Martin Bolts Ungrateful Tennessee For Cal"

But the worst by far, in my opinion, was one entitled: "Cuonzo Martin’s departure highlights Tennessee's immense level of dysfunction," by Pat Forde at Yahoo Sports.

He says:

"It is time to test the Tennessee River water that flows past Knoxville. Test it for toxic levels of dysfunction. There is something in the water, or the soil – or, most likely, the people – at the University of Tennessee that has turned the athletic department into a transient, turmoil-ridden place. . . .

Absolutely nothing is rock solid on Rocky Top these days. It is high time for a reality check. . .

The bigger question is what direction Tennessee now turns. This is a school leaking prestige and reeking of unrealistic entitlement.

A delusional fan base believed it was going to land Jon Gruden as its football coach in 2012. Instead it wound up being snubbed by Louisville coach Charlie Strong. Tennessee ended up with a good hire in Butch Jones, but you would have thought the school was settling for the guy at Lenoir-Rhyne by the reaction.

If the same deluded thought process holds, Vols fans will be expecting Shaka Smart to crawl to Knoxville any minute. Or Gregg Marshall to take a pay cut to coach the Vols."

(end quote)

I hope that our basketball program lands on its feet despite all of this negativity and that we, as Vol fans, can learn and grow from this experience and hopefully take the high road in the future. But my immediate concern is how all of this is going to affect the football program -- and especially this year's recruiting effort. We are currently high on the list for several big-name recruits. Is this going to be enough to discourage any of them from coming here?

Well... we as fans recognize we have issues... winning fixes those things.

Vol senoir Jordan McRae probably summed it up best: "Can't treat people any kind of way and expect good in return."

Toché, sir.

I, too, to my chagrin, jumped on the Bruce Pearl-petition bandwagon. When there is no doubt that Cuonzo Martin (and especially the basketball team) deserved our full support as long as he was our coach, or at least until the season ended and we could honorably begin to discuss a replacement.

Shenanigans like the Pearl petition and the Vol Air Force withdrawal were simply shameful and unacceptable. They make me think of the raucous locals in the movie "Hoosiers" who wanted Gene Hackman's head on a platter, but, despite this, he later leads his small-town high school team to an improbable Indiana state championship. The worse part, however, is that they have given our gleeful enemies much ammunition.

Here are some of the headlines:

"Cuonzo Martin Moves Up In The World By Leaving Tennessee For California Basketball"

"Cuonzo Martin flees hostile Tennessee"

"Cuonzo Martin's exit gives UT what it deserves"

"Cuonzo Martin Bolts Ungrateful Tennessee For Cal"

But the worst by far, in my opinion, was one entitled: "Cuonzo Martin’s departure highlights Tennessee's immense level of dysfunction," by Pat Forde at Yahoo Sports.

He says:

"It is time to test the Tennessee River water that flows past Knoxville. Test it for toxic levels of dysfunction. There is something in the water, or the soil – or, most likely, the people – at the University of Tennessee that has turned the athletic department into a transient, turmoil-ridden place. . . .

Absolutely nothing is rock solid on Rocky Top these days. It is high time for a reality check. . .

The bigger question is what direction Tennessee now turns. This is a school leaking prestige and reeking of unrealistic entitlement.

A delusional fan base believed it was going to land Jon Gruden as its football coach in 2012. Instead it wound up being snubbed by Louisville coach Charlie Strong. Tennessee ended up with a good hire in Butch Jones, but you would have thought the school was settling for the guy at Lenoir-Rhyne by the reaction.

If the same deluded thought process holds, Vols fans will be expecting Shaka Smart to crawl to Knoxville any minute. Or Gregg Marshall to take a pay cut to coach the Vols."

(end quote)

I hope that our basketball program lands on its feet despite all of this negativity and that we, as Vol fans, can learn and grow from this experience and hopefully take the high road in the future. But my immediate concern is how all of this is going to affect the football program -- and especially this year's recruiting effort. We are currently high on the list for several big-name recruits. Is this going to be enough to discourage any of them from coming here?

Deer Lord

The Cuonzo story has already faded from the national media. No one really cared snyway. These "journalist" just needed a day on their high horse.

He says:

(end quote)

Pat Forde is a moron that was too eager to jump on the media bandwagon and as other posters put it, "cast stones at the fan base".

VN Store

Back